MMA Thread part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a difficult time siting through Rogan's podcasts. I think I actually find him more tolerable when he's yelling.

the article spells out the facts on MMA judging fairly well

MMA fans as a whole are a pretty stupid lot, so arguing with them is pointless.

Here are the judging rules:

All bouts will be evaluated and scored by 3 judges who shall evaluate the contest from different location around the ring/fighting area. The referee may not be one of the 3 judges.
The 10-Point Must System will be the standard system of scoring a bout. Under the 10-Point Must Scoring System, 10 points must be awarded to the winner of the round and 9 points or less must be awarded to the loser, except for a rare even round, which is scored (10-10).
Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, control of the ring/fighting area, effective aggressiveness and defense.
Evaluations shall be made in the order in which the techniques appear in (c) above, giving the most weight in scoring to effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area and effective aggressiveness and defense.
Effective striking is judged by determining the total number of legal strikes landed by a contestant.
Effective grappling is judged by considering the amount of successful executions of a legal takedown and reversals. Examples of factors to consider are take downs from standing position to mount position, passing the guard to mount position, and bottom position fighters using an active threatening guard.
Fighting area control is judged by determining who is dictating the pace, location and position of the bout. Examples of factors to consider are countering a grappler's attempt at takedown by remaining standing and legally striking, taking down an opponent to force a ground fight, creating threatening submission attempts, passing the guard to achieve mount, and creating striking opportunities.
Effective aggressiveness means moving forward and landing a legal strike.
Effective defense means avoiding being struck, taken down or reversed while countering with offensive attacks.
The following objective scoring criteria shall be utilized by the judges when scoring a round:
a round is to be scored as a 10-10 round when both contestants appear to be fighting evenly and neither contestant shows clear dominance in a round;
a round is to be scored as a 10-9 round when a contestant wins by a close margin, landing the greater number of effective legal strikes, grappling and other maneuvers;
a round is to be scored as a 10-8 round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.
a round is to be scored as a 10-7 round when a contestant totally dominates by striking or grappling in a round.
Judges shall use a sliding scale and recognize the length of time the fighters are either standing or on the ground, as follows:
if the mixed martial artists spent a majority of a round on the canvas, then:
Effective grappling is weighed first; and
Effective striking is then weighed
If the mixed martial artists spent a majority of a round standing, then:
Effective striking is weighed first; and
Effective grappling is then weighed
A round is to be scored as a 10-8 round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.
If a round ends with a relatively even amount of standing and canvas fighting, striking and grappling are weighed equally.

So as the article says it only ever came down to round 1. And looking at how this is scored. Two judges going for GSP is not a robbery.

I'd say Dane White has no regard for GSP or any on the fighters. He only cares about the money. GSP should not do a rematch straight away. Let Henricks fight two or three more guys and earn a shot again. A champ losing a close fight might deserve a rematch not a losing challenger. Dana knows if someone upsets Henricks the rematch won't be worth as much.

People have also seemed to forget that BJ Penn made the same "look at his face and look at mine" argument when GSP beat him the first time. It's irrelevant. And GSP seems to be prone to getting bruised up in a fight.

Losers in boxing make that argument also. But that is scored by rounds on the 10-9 system, too. I hope GSP will not let them manipulate him into a rematch now.

People have also seemed to forget that BJ Penn made the same "look at his face and look at mine" argument when GSP beat him the first time. It's irrelevant. And GSP seems to be prone to getting bruised up in a fight.

Dude's face always looks like a mess after a fight. It's not like they've just forgotten that one, it's like they've forgotten like 80% of the others as well. It's a silly argument to make, "I won cos he got cut up more than I did." Nor is GSP the only person who's ever won a fight but come out with a face looking worse than his opponent. I wish I could come up with a better non-GSP example off the top of my head than Marquardt vs Sonnen, but given the fact that it was a clear decision and the ridiculous amount of blood that came from a pretty hideous elbow to the nose, and I'm still a noob mma fan, that's what you're going to get. Marquardt didn't look untouched or anything, but that one was messy.

MMA fans as a whole are a pretty stupid lot, so arguing with them is pointless.

I don't know any in real life, but I know about arguing on the Internet and the futility of such an undertaking.

Regarding immediate rematches, what about the Jones vs Gustaffson we're not getting? Where does that fall into this, or not the same thing?

Not sure if anyone caught UFC Tonight on FS1 tonight. Apparently we're not complete lunatics, as Chael, Kenny Florian, Kosheck, Cerronne, and Karen Bryant all thought GSP won. Even those on the show who thought Hendricks won didn't think it was a robbery or terrible decision.

EDIT: Rashad thought GSP won too.

The only reason people thought it was a robbery was because of Dana's and Joe's reactions.

Not sure if anyone caught UFC Tonight on FS1 tonight.

One thing for sure, I am sick of Dana White. I used to think he was okay.

But, all this harping about 167 is making him look like an idiot. The reffing at 167 was okay. I've seen a lot worse. What were the problems with the reffing that night? Same for the judging. He is acting like they said GSP won all five rounds. Where is the terrible judging? The people that are bitching about round 1 are all saying they have not re-watched it, they seem to be just caught up in the emotion of the fight.

Hey, I said I thought Hendricks won a close fight, I didn't say robbery, and that was before I went online. Don't lump me in with the crazy people. And I can totally see how my impression was due to some general impression thing based on how I perceived Hendricks to more solidly take his two rounds than GSP took any of his--which is not how these things are actually scored, anyway.

What's the gripe about the reffing? The thing with the mouthpiece?

Speaking of crazy people, I watched the Rogan podcast with GSP (or most of it, til the YouTube app died and refused to play any more--oddly enough, the only videos it error messages on were Rogan podcasts. So maybe it had just had enough pseudo-intellectual pothead philosophizing for one day). I have no idea what he said on opie & Anthony, but unless it was "back in the beginning of the year, GSP said he was afraid of some things, feels like he's losing chunks of time, and I tried to get him to say he was being abducted by aliens," not sure what else he could have said. Besides, the dude believes in Sasquatch--no room to talk shit. Not to border on all pleba-like or anything, but I find any stories GSP is telling where there are slight imitations of the people in them to be quite entertaining and ridiculously endearing.

Hey, I said I thought Hendricks won a close fight, I didn't say robbery, and that was before I went online. Don't lump me in with the crazy people. And I can totally see how my impression was due to some general impression thing based on how I perceived Hendricks to more solidly take his two rounds than GSP took any of his--which is not how these things are actually scored, anyway.

But this is totally reasonable. Had the decision gone the other way, I don't think I would be complaining. It was that close. I might feel, as Mofo does, that you really need to do more than just scrape by to win the belt, but it was a close one and GSP got beat up in the rounds he lost.

Speaking of crazy people, I watched the Rogan podcast with GSP (or most of it, til the YouTube app died and refused to play any more--oddly enough, the only videos it error messages on were Rogan podcasts. So maybe it had just had enough pseudo-intellectual pothead philosophizing for one day). I have no idea what he said on opie & Anthony, but unless it was "back in the beginning of the year, GSP said he was afraid of some things, feels like he's losing chunks of time, and I tried to get him to say he was being abducted by aliens," not sure what else he could have said. Besides, the dude believes in Sasquatch--no room to talk shit. Not to border on all pleba-like or anything, but I find any stories GSP is telling where there are slight imitations of the people in them to be quite entertaining and ridiculously endearing.

Ya, I was expecting some crazy shit, but it wasn't so bad. He's completely coherent and self aware. I almost feel bad for him because he'll probably take the shit Rogan is saying personally. The guy goes on his show and has a good time and Joe is pretty much like "dude is crazy"

sometimes i really can't stand listening to the way ariel helwani asks questions. "i think [blah blah blah blah blah], do you agree?" like 90% of his questions are phrased that way.

He's probably glad he chose to go to work rather than his high school reunion.

:shrug: I saw about 3 articles pertaining to the card and they all kept saying Diaz was tweeting he wasn't going to fight so he could go to his high school reunion. I figured there was no way he made it past the 8th grade, given that he's about as eloquent as his brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom