MLP 2K5 Playoff edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
What the hell happened to the baseball thread? Did it hit 500 and get moved? I just spent half an hour looking for it, I thought I was going crazy.

It sucks the Indians choked so bad, would have been nice to see new blood in the playoffs. But I'm sure we'll see Yankees/Red Sox Pt 3 in the ALCS :yawn:

I've got a very bad feeling about the Cardinals, a first round loss to the Padres could be devestating, yet I could see it happening.

Oh well, let the games begin...

By the way, the Astros unveiled a banner today saying "Back to Back Wildcard Champions." Does anybody else find this a little odd? By winning a wildcard what exactly are you a champion of? It's like chanting, we're #2!!

Also today was the last regular season game in Busch stadium. So many memories there, it will be missed :sad:

busch_stadium.jpg

The Angel/Yankee series is going to be tough. I expect it to go to the last out of the 5th game. Both teams are playing well.

About home field advantage: I think home field advantage in and of itself means almost nothing in the Angel/Yankee playoff. What might be slightly advantageous to the Angels in this series is that their players are pretty well rested and they've got their pitching staff lined up just the way they want it, while the Yankees haven't had a chance to catch a breath and they presumably had to get on a plane today and fly to L.A.

Nevertheless, the Yankees have a more imposing lineup than the Angels, they're playing with confidence and they aren't going to roll over for anyone.

Should be a helluva series.

peavy would have to win twice in the serise against st louis and then somebody else on that otherwise poor staff would have to beat the redbirds.

dont see it happening.

stop it with you and your badfeelings too, it cost us last year when you said you had a bad feeling the cardinals were gonna win the NL and lose to the red sox in the world series.

WildHoneyAlways said:
The White Sox pitching has got to step it up, especially out of the bull pen. I'm glad they're not playing the Angels. They can't seem to beat teams on the West Coast. :|

Can't Be Afraid of a team when you win more then they did:wink:

I think Sox-Sox will be a great series to watch

I think it will go to game five with the sox pulling out on top :wink:

Additionally, the Angels plan a fan-fest appreciation of sorts starting Monday, at 5 pm..meaning, if the Yankees get into town later this evening, they'll have to turn around and hit the field early tomorrow morning for their workouts since the Angels have the park from 5 until 8 pm...

That lack of rest time might be crucial for the first two games. Angels in 4.

WildHoneyAlways said:
The White Sox pitching has got to step it up, especially out of the bull pen. I'm glad they're not playing the Angels. They can't seem to beat teams on the West Coast. :|

Honestly, I think any of the remaining teams in the AL could go all the way. And I hope the White Sox beat the living crap out of the bosox....but that's just me. :wink:

the al will not win the world series this year. its either going to be st louis or houston.

i dont think any AL team matches up well against those two.

StlElevation said:
peavy would have to win twice in the serise against st louis and then somebody else on that otherwise poor staff would have to beat the redbirds.

dont see it happening.

stop it with you and your badfeelings too, it cost us last year when you said you had a bad feeling the cardinals were gonna win the NL and lose to the red sox in the world series.

did you see Al Reyes is most likely out for the postseason? on the last day of the season we lose our most effective releiver. what is it with cardinals and playoff injuries? it's ridiculous, it seriously happens every year.

Carp/Mulder can pitch 4 out of the 5 games in the NLDS, so hopefully they will pitch to their abilities and that should be enough. Houston/Atl should be an interesting series.

no i didnt see that. tavarez and king will just have to step it up a bit.

i think this team is good enough to overcome that though. sanders has looked pretty good recently and it seems that walker is starting to heat up at the right time too. as long as the pitching stays true...

StlElevation said:
as long as the pitching stays true...

thats the key. they have been lit up for the past month. our only good pitcher has been suppan yet tony wont even start him. there is no way morris should start ahead of suppan, but he will, and we will lose that game. its sickening.

they have been lit up that is true, but do you really think they have been going all out for those starts? i highly doubt they were pressing themselves at all. im not saying they werent trying, but i think they were trying to leave something into the tank.

i think suppan will eventually start ahead of morris. suppan was money last year in the playoffs.

pub crawler said:

The Cards aren't as scary as they were last year. :wink:

The Cardinals didnt have Carpenter or Mulder and had an injured Morris for their rotation last year. the pitching is improved 10000% if they pitch to their abilities.

Plus, the AL teams are worse this year. (At least the yankees and red sox are)

Last edited:
Did the Cards end up with the best record this year??

I think the Cards can and will make it to the WS. Even with injuries they always seem to find a way to win. It's annoying really.

As for my Sock, it will be interesting to see how Ozzie handles the playoff roster.

yeah they ended up with the best record and posted consecutive 100 win seasons to close out busch stadium. first time since the 40's theyve had consecutive 100 win seasons when i think they had 3 in a row.

Several of the playoff teams would kill to have Carpenter and Mulder on their pitching staffs. And if the Cards make it to the WS, maybe they'll remember to actually bring their A-game this time.

My Predictions:

Cards over the Pads in 4
Braves over Astros in 5
Cards over Braves in 6

Red Sox of Chisox in 4
Yanks over Angels in 5
Yanks over Red Sox in 7

Cards over Yanks in 5

NL MVP: Pujols
NL Cy Young: Carpenter

AL MVP: Arod
AL CY Young: Eh, no idea, Rivera i guess

I may be a little biased, but I really dont think a guy hitting .263 should win an MVP. The home run or nothing attitude shouldn't be rewarded. If anybody is more deserving than Pujols then its Lee, not Jones.

Last edited:
First off, this retrieved from the original (first of 3) MLB (or should that be MLP?) thread:
Hewson (in March) said:
Can't Miss predictions:
AL East:
1. NYY
2. BOS
3. Bal
4. TB
5. Blow Jays

AL Central:
1. Chisox
2. Twinkies
3. Injuns
4. KC
5. Det....Lady Pooches

AL West:
1. Angies
2. Seattle
3. Texass
4. Oakland

WC: Boston
For the second straight year, I predicted the AL playoff teams exactly (who else had the Chisox back in March?), as for the NL...nevermind.

Looks like Red Sox vs Astros with Roger Clemens' last performaance of his illustrious career back where it started, on the Fenway mound, unfortunately for him, the victim again of no run support and a walk off David Ortiz home run to win game 7, 2-1.

Chizip said:

I've got a very bad feeling about the Cardinals, a first round loss to the Padres could be devestating, yet I could see it happening.

You're a very confident fan aren't you? The Cards must love having fans like you with such faith. Instead of cheering at Busch, does everyone just sit and say "Oh no, we might lose, I can't watch"

BTW...love the new signature, who's the clown with the "I" painted on his chest? :wink:

Chizip said:

ummm, major league playoffs of course :shifty:

ummm, ok. Playoffs in there twice is fine by me. :D

Red Sox over White Sox in four.
Angels over Yankees in five.
Red Sox over Angels in five.

Astros over Braves in four.
Cardinals over Padres in three.
Astros over Cardinals in seven.

Red Sox over Astros in seven.

Ideally we'd all be better off if Fox just fired McCarver this afternoon so none of us had to hear him say anything, regardless fo what teams are playing.

Back
Top Bottom