MLP 2K5 Playoff edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They scheduled the baseball games at the same time as dodgeball?? Who the hell is in charge of scheduling at MLB?? Morons.

Chizip said:
apparently since both the Yankees and Red Sox are out of the playoffs, Fox has cancelled all coverage of the rest of the playoffs. But don't worry, it will be shown on tape delay on ESPN Ocho after dodgeball. you can always count on the Ocho.

Makes sense.

The MLB season is over anyway... I think like 2 people will be watching...

phanan said:
Although the Red Sox are done, I at least will have the satisfaction of knowing that the Yankees will be joining them very soon...

At least the Yankees left with a fight... the Red Sox was an embarassment...

If you can call mustering 3 runs off a rookie pressed into the 2nd inning of a game in an emergency situation who couldn't find the plate with a seeing eye dog his nerves were so bad for his first inning a fight, yeah they fought.

Chizip said:
apparently since both the Yankees and Red Sox are out of the playoffs, Fox has cancelled all coverage of the rest of the playoffs. But don't worry, it will be shown on tape delay on ESPN Ocho after dodgeball. you can always count on the Ocho.
Rupert's no dummy...he knows that The Simpsons and Family Guy would garner 13x the ratings of a Cardinals/White Sox World Series.

Whats funny is that the 4 teams left represent the #2(LA, even though the team is closer to Tijuana), #3(Chicago), #4(Houston) and # 2869(St Louis) television markets and everyone at Fox is cringing at the upcoming ratings.

Without the Yanks, Red Sox, Cubs or even possibly Dodgers, there's just no national appeal.

U2@NYC said:

At least the Yankees left with a fight... the Red Sox was an embarassment...

A Wankee fan should know about embarassing playoff performances :cough: worst collapse in sports history :cough:

U2@NYC said:

At least the Yankees left with a fight...

Never in my life did I ever think a Yankees fan would say something like this.

MrBrau1 said:

A Wankee fan should know about embarassing playoff performances :cough: worst collapse in sports history :cough:

And here we go again... sad that you cannot be a little more creative.

Maybe we could also talk about the fastest playoff exit of a MLB champion... :hmm:

At least things are back to normal again. Red Sox championships will be like the Halley Comet, once every 80 years or so.

Hewson said:
If you can call mustering 3 runs off a rookie pressed into the 2nd inning of a game in an emergency situation who couldn't find the plate with a seeing eye dog his nerves were so bad for his first inning a fight, yeah they fought.

Always better than being *cough* swiped by a team apparently going downhill... * cough *

U2@NYC said:

Maybe we could also talk about the fastest playoff exit of a MLB champion... :hmm:

If that works for ya, go with it. I'll stick with:

"The Greatest Collapse In The History of MLB"

in your own house no less.

This is getting a little sad.

The Red Sox and Yankees lost, just like 24 other teams did this year. End of story.

U2@NYC said:

Well to be fair, you can't call it the worst follow up performance to a World Series victory, they made the playoffs, plenty of champs don't even do that (2004 Marlins and 2003 Angels are just the 2 most recent examples of many)

Hewson said:
Well to be fair, you can't call it the worst follow up performance to a World Series victory, they made the playoffs, plenty of champs don't even do that (2004 Marlins and 2003 Angels are just the 2 most recent examples of many)

Of course, the 1998 Marlins deserve some sort of award for this.

Hewson said:

Meh. Santana's a lot better than you give him credit for. You'll see. :)

pub crawler said:

:laugh out loud: :)

Don't be laughing too loud -- the Angels pitching staff is so tapped, I hear the Rally Monkey is going to pitch Game 1 tonight.

U2@NYC said:

Always better than being *cough* swiped by a team apparently going downhill... * cough *
If winning your last 5 regular season games and having the leagues' best record is downhill, sign me up.

Lets look at it this way...the Red Sox and Yanks both failed miserably with their off season acquisitions for 2005.
Rent an error was a bust defensively.
The Big Unit was sub par, and got lit up in game 3.
Jaret Wright and Carl Pavano were huge wastes of many of Steinbrenner's millions.
Matt Clement reverted to his old self in the second half, terrible control, will never be real succesful like that.
Tony Womack was a waste of a roster spot.
Wells was not bad, probably the best acquisition for either side, and a fair price as well.
And bringing Tino back didn't hurt the Yanks, but not much real production after May.

Both teams spent their money poorly overall, and the offseason will be interesting.

Just remember the Yanks had the higher expectation, were the Vegas choice for the WS champ, had an over/under proposition of like 106 wins after the big pitching signings, and had the highest payroll by far...so rag on the Red Sox all you want, but llok in the funhouse mirror my friend, your team underperformed at least as much if not more, and your current World series drought is longer than ours.:wink:

PS: how about $25 Million for a 2 for 15, 0 RBI playoff performance?
At least Manny hit against the Chisox.

pub crawler said:

Meh. Santana's a lot better than you give him credit for. You'll see. :)
Santana's got good stuff no question...but tell me you felt comfortable watching him pitch in the 2nd inning?
No way you or anyone in the greater Tijuana area did. If Robinson Cano doesn't run into an out on either a botched hit and run or a lazy steal attempt, the Yanks are in Chicago tonight.
Luckily Santana settled down after that, but the kid was shitting bricks in the 2nd.

I wouldn't dub him the second coming of Sandy Koufax just yet.

I'm far from bitter, just a realist... in fact the Tijuana Angies made me some $$$ by winning the series and Koufax Santana made me some by helping keep last night's game under 8.5 runs (which looked quite dodgy when Colon wanted an early start on the buffet table).
If you care to check the original MLB 2k5 thread (its sevreal pages down and closed at 500+ posts), you'll see I predicted the Red Sox to lose in the divisional round and (gasp) the Northern Mexico Angels to win the World Series.

I'm a bit disappointed with the performance of the majority of the Sox players( Manny showed he is the best hitter in the game still) in the ALDS, but not bitter. I don't get bitter about sports losses, its unhealthy.

My predictions from this past March...now lets forget about the Cubs, but the AL side looks pretty accurate, eh. Just had the first round matchups reversed.
Hewson said:
WC: Boston
Playoffs: Angies over Bos
Chisox over NYY
ALCS: Angies over Chisox

World Series: Angies over Cubs

Hewson said:

If winning your last 5 regular season games and having the leagues' best record is downhill, sign me up.

Lets look at it this way...the Red Sox and Yanks both failed miserably with their off season acquisitions for 2005.
Rent an error was a bust defensively.
The Big Unit was sub par, and got lit up in game 3.
Jaret Wright and Carl Pavano were huge wastes of many of Steinbrenner's millions.
Matt Clement reverted to his old self in the second half, terrible control, will never be real succesful like that.
Tony Womack was a waste of a roster spot.
Wells was not bad, probably the best acquisition for either side, and a fair price as well.
And bringing Tino back didn't hurt the Yanks, but not much real production after May.

Both teams spent their money poorly overall, and the offseason will be interesting.

Just remember the Yanks had the higher expectation, were the Vegas choice for the WS champ, had an over/under proposition of like 106 wins after the big pitching signings, and had the highest payroll by far...so rag on the Red Sox all you want, but llok in the funhouse mirror my friend, your team underperformed at least as much if not more, and your current World series drought is longer than ours.:wink:

PS: how about $25 Million for a 2 for 15, 0 RBI playoff performance?
At least Manny hit against the Chisox.

I think your points are fair and well fundamented.

Both teams sucked.

Too bad for the MLB and Fox, who will have like 5 people watching from now on (I think my friend's TV remote is broken so he will have no other option).

U2@NYC said:

Too bad for the MLB and Fox, who will have like 5 people watching from now on (I think my friend's TV remote is broken so he will have no other option).
The sad thing is that there should be some good baseball over the next 2.5 weeks, but the viewership may hit record lows.

Chizip said:
just when you think it couldnt get any worse, the astros have decided to add in a new feature to their ballpark

http://www.sportspickle.com/features/volume4/2005-1005-astros.html
:lmao: :lmao:
That wouldn't surprise me if they DID do that.
I've been to that field a few times to watch the Astros and I hate that park. It is so small too and the name is a joke!!!

I miss the good old Astrodome. The astro turf, rainbow seats and all. :wink:

Re: predictions

Imarocker said:
here are the winners.....& losers

White Sox over red sux in four. better pitching & DEFENSE
Angels over Yankees in five.
Angels over W. sox in six.

Astros over Braves in four.
Cardinals over Padres in three.
Astros over Cardinals in seven.

Astros in seven over LA LA

First rnd:
boy the only thing I had wrong was bost winning a game :lol:

We should see some pretty good baseball now, I think the angels might be in a little trouble with there pitching though.

Re: Re: predictions

Imarocker said:

First rnd:
boy the only thing I had wrong was bost winning a game :lol:

We should see some pretty good baseball now, I think the angels might be in a little trouble with there pitching though.
Of course your predictions were made in October, I made mine in March and have the Angels playing the Chisox, don't think too many pundits can make that claim.

I think the Cubs prediction negates any of your good picks though.

The cubs :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom