MLB Thread menage a trois: The Stretch Run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Numb1075 said:
and they got some support from Lester, .
Well Lester is now on the DL.
The DL currently includes 2 starters, Lester and Wakefield.
The cather Varitek, The right fielder, Nixon, The shortstop, Gonzalez.

Add to that Manny is at the very best day to day and Ortiz has flown back to Boston to have more heart tests and will not return to the lineup until given a clean bill of health, toast dosen't even begin to describe the situation.
Its even beyond "Powdered Toast Man".

Sadly Theo may be able to use injury as an excuse, but I still find tremendous fault with the front office from July forward.

The only chance the Sox have is if they could play every remaining game against the powerhouse Angels of Southern Canada, the only team they can still easily handle.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
they're toast

the dagger has been put in

the last nail in the coffin

they've kicked the bucket

goodnight irene

yippie ki-yi-yay mothafucka.

they're done.

There's still a month left in the season. Plenty of time for the Red Sox to catch Toronto in the standings.

:ohmy:

it's kaz!

capt.91a0ad2d2501413480f36f1040966919.mets_rockies_baseball_dxf101.jpg

the symbol of pre-omar met ineptitude

actually i believe it's time for red sox fans to brush up on that old pre-2004 tradition of rooting for whatever team is playing the yankees.
Actually I think I'm gonna just root for The Dodgers, cause they resemble the 2003 Red Sox quite a bit. Nomaaaahhh, D-Lowe, Grady "knows very" Little and Bill "Eddie Severson" Mueller(though he's injured).

Nice that Big Papi didn't have to fly back to Boston alone from Oakland for his heart tests, his friends Manny Ramirez, Wile E. Coyote Moe Larry Cheese Pena and David alls Wells joined him.
At least for Wells it was just to prepare for Friday's start...though rumors are swirling his next start will be in Dodger Blue, Cardinal Red or Padre Gold (do they still have those God awful alternate uni's in SD?).

As for The Yanks, I have no real concerns. I don't see them getting past the Divisional Series with their rotation. Maybe they should try and pry Boomer from the Red Sox. He loves pitching in Yankee Stadium and is a money pitcher. Wonder how Sox fans would react to the news that we traded him to the Yanks.

its pretty sad that im drooling over the thought of getting david wells

actually i believe it's time for red sox fans to brush up on that old pre-2004 tradition of rooting for whatever team is playing the yankees.

At this point, I'd enjoy seeing an NL upset in the playoffs, since nobody thinks it will happen.

Hewson said:

Actually I think I'm gonna just root for The Dodgers, cause they resemble the 2003 Red Sox quite a bit. Nomaaaahhh, D-Lowe, Grady "knows very" Little and Bill "Eddie Severson" Mueller(though he's injured).

Nice that Big Papi didn't have to fly back to Boston alone from Oakland for his heart tests, his friends Manny Ramirez, Wile E. Coyote Moe Larry Cheese Pena and David alls Wells joined him.
At least for Wells it was just to prepare for Friday's start...though rumors are swirling his next start will be in Dodger Blue, Cardinal Red or Padre Gold (do they still have those God awful alternate uni's in SD?).

As for The Yanks, I have no real concerns. I don't see them getting past the Divisional Series with their rotation. Maybe they should try and pry Boomer from the Red Sox. He loves pitching in Yankee Stadium and is a money pitcher. Wonder how Sox fans would react to the news that we traded him to the Yanks.

i know a lot of people like the dodgers... but i wouldn't go too bonkers over 'em. they have a 31-27 record in their division, and frankly, the NL West is god awful. it's like the NFC Central, only worse.

i know a lot of people like the dodgers... but i wouldn't go too bonkers over 'em. they have a 31-27 record in their division, and frankly, the NL West is god awful. it's like the NFC Central, only worse.
I can still adopt them as a team to root for can't I?
I like underdog stories anyway.
Plus look at their record since the trading deadline when they made a couple of significant moves (Greg Maddux would have looked nice in a Red Sox uniform)

Hewson said:
I think Wells (assuming the knee holds up) could make a huge difference for a team like the Cards.

i agree

but thats whats sad, if we got him he'd immediately be our #2

he could be huge against a lefty dominated mets lineup

he doesnt have a no trade clause, so does that really matter?

anyway, right now the red sox are asking for the moon, so i dont see the cards doing it unless they lower their price a lot.

it's like the NFC Central, only worse.

Is there such thing as the NFC Central anymore?

Are you talking about the same NFC Central that the "Title Town" Green Bay Packers and the "Purple People Eaters" Minnesota Vikings came from?

Like the Mets have always been good or something. ;)

This is getting to be regoddamndiculous:

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=155293

Lester tested for cancer—Sources: Rookie has enlarged lymph nodes
By Tony Massarotti
Boston Herald Sports Columnist

Thursday, August 31, 2006 - Updated: 03:07 AM EST

OAKLAND, Calif. - Not long after the Red Sox sent 22-year-old left-hander Jon Lester back to Boston to be evaluated by club medical officials, sources indicated that one of the club’s most promising players is dealing with more than just a bad back.

Among the possibilities: Lester has cancer.

Although Red Sox officials are being extremely tight-lipped about the matter, Lester has been undergoing an array of exams in Boston for internal medical issues, including cancer.

The tests have prompted serious concern within the organization. Other than citing Lester’s ongoing back problems, Sox general manager Theo Epstein and manager Terry Francona have declined to address any matters concerning the health of one of their brightest prospects.

However, during the team’s nine-game road trip that ended yesterday with a 7-2 loss to the Oakland A’s, Lester was diagnosed with enlarged lymph nodes, according to sources. Such a symptom can be caused by an array of issues, from infections to cancer.

Citing patient confidentiality laws concerning the right to privacy on health-related issues, most sports teams do not publicly discuss health matters that do not relate directly to performance-related injuries.

On Tuesday, however, Sox right-hander Curt Schilling made a veiled reference to the fact that the Sox were dealing with more off-field issues than just the health of designated hitter David Ortiz.

Earlier on Tuesday, Ortiz returned to Boston and was admitted to Mass. General Hospital for cardiac tests on an irregular or accelerated heartbeat. Ortiz, who had at least three episodes involving his heart since Aug. 18, was released from Mass. General last night.

Said Schilling on Tuesday: “There are a lot of personal things going on here that weigh on us a lot more than the losses and wins.”

Lester, who was taken by the Sox with the 57th overall selection in the 2002 draft, was placed on the 15-day disabled list Monday with a back injury.

The problem was believed to have stemmed from a minor car accident on Aug. 18, in which the lefty was rear-ended on Storrow Drive while driving to Fenway Park.

Lester nearly was scratched from his last start on Aug. 23 against the Angels in Anaheim, Calif., because of the injury.

And last weekend in Seattle he was not at the ballpark for the first two games of the series and arrived in the Red Sox clubhouse only for the series finale.

Epstein and Francona were vague and circumspect when asked about the pitcher’s absence, saying that Lester had been spending some time with his family. Lester resides in Puyallup, Wash.

After the Sox drafted him, Lester agreed to a $1 million signing bonus, more than any other pick in the second round of the draft. He bypassed college and began his minor league career.

Highly regarded by Sox officials and talent evaluators throughout baseball, Lester went 11-6 with a 2.61 ERA and league-leading 163 strikeouts for the Portland Sea Dogs of the Double-A Eastern League last year. He began this season at Triple-A Pawtucket before being promoted to Boston, where he is 7-2 with a 4.76 ERA in 15 starts
Along with right-hander Jonathan Papelbon, Lester is regarded as one of the true building blocks of the Red Sox pitching staff. The Sox have resisted countless offers for Lester from other clubs, including one from the Atlanta Braves at the end of July that might have delivered Houston Astros pitcher Roy Oswalt to the Sox in a three-team trade.

“He’s obviously a big part of our future, and we’ve asked a lot of him already,” Francona said on Monday when asked about Lester’s return to Boston. “We’re concerned about sending him out there when we shouldn’t because we’re thin. We don’t want to hurt this kid. He’s too valuable to our future.”

Its like the Sox signed a deal with the devil to win in 2004 and the bastard has come collecting on the debt.

Back
Top Bottom