MLB Thread menage a trois: The Stretch Run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
86mets.jpg

capt.a4eca14f57b248509da402f9f67f1b01.rockies_mets_baseball_nyeb101.jpg

randhail said:
at least the Sox got Mike Lowell out of the trade with the Marlins.

when are the open tryouts for the bullpen? :mad: :mad:

6 pm tomorrow, two hours before the first pitch.

Saw the Phils last night at Citizens Bank Park - big win, we all wanted to see Rowand and Utley take on the Nats in a brawl, but Howard got a homer so it was alright.

Imarocker said:
no Pedro, no Glavine

NO CHANCE for the mets to win anything....bye bye mets

GO TIGERS!!!!!

Not quite, this MAY be able to be solved by simple medication, however surgery may be required....we will see on wednesday or thursday,.

If surgery is needed I agree we are in trouble.

Pedro will be back in time for October, until then we coast.

Although both bannister and perez have been lights out lately in AAA.

When hes been healthy hes been great, when hes been hurting and not on his rested sched hes been less than ideal. Come October I think any team would want him pitching for them.

I officially declare the AL East race over.
I officially declare the start of football season.

And The Mets are gonna coast to the NL East title and get swept in the division series if Glavine is done (cause Pedro is done too, trust me, he'll make a start in Sept and the labrum will flare up and its the last you'll see of him)

Give the Yanks credit, they got through their injuries and made a couple of impact pick-ups at the trade deadline.
The Sox decided that the rotation which featured the likes of Jason Johnson and Jon "not ready for prime time" Lester was enough to win the division. And that the likes of Craig "way back" Hanson and his 6.60 ERA was an untradeable commodity, not wanting to give him up for the likes of a Greg Maddux.

The Sox front office shoulders the majority of responsibility for the dismal 2nd half. If they couldn't tell what was going on between the All Star break and July 31 and act on improving the pitching, they are blind. Otherwise it seems they basically threw in the towel on this season (while in the division lead no less) thinking the young pitchers they have far too valuable, though we are beginning to see otherwise.

That said, the Yanks are in trouble in the post season, their pitching staff is not exactly championship caliber, the Tigers, Twins, A's and White Sox can all outpitch the Yanks in October. The Yanks' bats will make things interesting, but in the end pitching wins, and the Yanks don't have enough of it.

Last edited:
I think the White Sox are looking good for a repeat now. If Liriano wasn't hurt, I'd lean towards the Twins, because there isn't a better 1-2 punch in the league with him and Santana. The Tigers have excellent pitching, but are very young, and one wonders how well they'd do in a playoff setting. The A's don't have enough offense to go with their pitching, and of course, the Yankees don't have the pitching.

The White Sox are the most well-rounded team right now.

unless houston makes the playoffs as the wild card, i don't see anyway the mets don't get to at least the NLCS, with or without glavine.

their current pitching problems are real problems, but you are forgetting how bad the national league is.

even without pedro and glavine, they're still better than cincinatti, arizona and san diego.

the pitching problems will present themselves in the NLCS against st. louis... but st. louis' pitching sucks as well.

it would take a perfect pitching performance to win the world series with pedro and glavine in the rotation... so what really has changed? now it just takes an even more perfect performance. :shrug:

With Pedro and Tom G. you have 2 playoff experienced pitchers at the top of your rotation, and in my estimation a walk to the World Series (and then a 4 game sweep at the hands of the Tigers), without those 2, what does your rotation look like?
Who's #1, El Duque? Followed by who Jose Lima?

man Theo's whining about not having enough resources to compete with the yankees is so incredibly lame. 28 other teams in MLB would love to have the Sox's "resource" problem :rolleyes:

Chizip said:
man Theo's whining about not having enough resources to compete with the yankees is so incredibly lame. 28 other teams in MLB would love to have the Sox's "resource" problem :rolleyes:

I agree, but keep in mind that the Sox are one of only four teams that have to play the Yankees 19 times per year.

So here's an interesting tidbit:

After Manny Ramirez' first 2 plate appearances today in which he walked both times, Manny is 8 for 11 with 9 walks in the series thus far vs the Yanks, an astonishing .850 OBP.

The intersting tidbit is that of the 17 opportunities he has scored only 3 times...

...oh and he has 2 HR's amongst his 8 hits, so he has driven himself in twice, meaning...

...of 15 oppoprtunities, Red Sox hitters in the 5 through 9 slot have driven Manny in only once.

Think they need a little help behind Ortiz and Ramirez?

Hewson said:
So here's an interesting tidbit:

After Manny Ramirez' first 2 plate appearances today in which he walked both times, Manny is 8 for 11 with 9 walks in the series thus far vs the Yanks, an astonishing .850 OBP.

The intersting tidbit is that of the 17 opportunities he has scored only 3 times...

...oh and he has 2 HR's amongst his 8 hits, so he has driven himself in twice, meaning...

...of 15 oppoprtunities, Red Sox hitters in the 5 through 9 slot have driven Manny in only once.

Think they need a little help behind Ortiz and Ramirez?

That, plus two more starting pitchers, another setup man and a catcher and we'll be all set.

phillyfan26 said:
Saw the Phils last night at Citizens Bank Park - big win, we all wanted to see Rowand and Utley take on the Nats in a brawl, but Howard got a homer so it was alright.

I forgot to mention that in Abraham Nunez's third at bat they played "Walk On." :hyper:

Hewson said:
With Pedro and Tom G. you have 2 playoff experienced pitchers at the top of your rotation, and in my estimation a walk to the World Series (and then a 4 game sweep at the hands of the Tigers), without those 2, what does your rotation look like?
Who's #1, El Duque? Followed by who Jose Lima?

el duque who's a proven playoff performer, steve trachsel, who's sitting at 12-5 right now, and john maine, who's been lights out the second half of the season...

great? no... but besides houston, who in the NL has a great pitching staff? no one. not to mention the fact that the mets still have the best bullpen in the national league.

i mean hey, it's not as good as having jon lester and jason johnson in the rotation, but it's ok.

and i think you're jumping the gun a bit on pedro. not to mention that we're all jumping the gun on glavine, when it's entirely possible that it's just an extention of his previously diagnosed raynaud's disease... which he's only one something like 260+ games since being diagnosed with back in the early 90s.

:shrug:

look... they have obvious problems in their rotaton... but who doesn't?

like i said... even without glavine and pedro... which it's unlikely that they'll be without both... they're still better than the likely first round wild card opponents... arizona, cincinatti, san diego...

it would obviously make a world series less likely, but i thought the AL was soo dominating that they had no chance anyway. that's what everyone keeps telling us, right?

speedracer said:

I agree, but keep in mind that the Sox are one of only four teams that have to play the Yankees 19 times per year.

And the AL East standings pretty much reflect the payrolls of each team...

Of course, if the Sox keep playing like they are, that could change. A five game sweep at home... :barf:

Last edited:
phanan said:

And the AL East standings pretty much reflect the payrolls of each team...

i guess the red sox should be leading the wild card then

Wow. Rowand and Utley just collided and Rowand had to leave the game. Utley called him off a ball and Rowand didn't see it, he went head-first into the ground and get his ankle caught in the turf when he collapsed.

phillyfan26 said:
Wow. Rowand and Utley just collided and Rowand had to leave the game. Utley called him off a ball and Rowand didn't see it, he went head-first into the ground and get his ankle caught in the turf when he collapsed.

ouch. That Bites. I still remember seeing that replay over and over again of Beltran and Cameron going head to head in the outfield.....yikes. You had to see people get hurt. I dont care who they are, it stinks.

TheBrush said:

ouch. That Bites. I still remember seeing that replay over and over again of Beltran and Cameron going head to head in the outfield.....yikes. You had to see people get hurt. I dont care who they are, it stinks.

Yeah, and it looked bad too. Rowand's head hit hard, and no one even knew his leg was hurt till he got up limping, we thought he got knocked out for a bit.

And the play cost them a run because Rowand knocked the ball off of Utley (and his glove too), and the guy scored on a two out-single.

Man, Gibbons just looks like an asshole.

I know you see Lilly yelling at him, but let the guy vent, you don't go town the tunnel chasing after him.

You DO however go into an opposing teams clubhouse and then drive around a foreign citiy screaming "wheres Mota?" HAHA, we made a trade to get Mota, AND all I remember him for is his famous backpedal.

Back
Top Bottom