MLB Thread menage a trois: The Stretch Run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i was listening to mike and the mad dog yesterday and they were talking about pedro with eddie coleman, the mets beat reporter, and they were talking about how willie's plan with pedro for last night was for him to go all out for 3-4 innings and then take him out.

his first 4 innings were phenominal, his curve had rediculous break to it. his fastball was still missing the upper 80s/low 90s velocity, but it was better than last friday. he hadn't given up a hit through 4 so they left him in to pitch the 5th and he got knocked around a little bit.

:shrug: was a good sign, though... he's progressing nicely. will be interesting to see what he does in his last start before the post-season.

phanan said:
I can see it now. 55,000 people screaming at Willie to take him out by the 6th.

The PA announcer should play Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out" as a strong hint...

:hmm: i like it

perhaps everyone in the stadium brings a giant poster of grady little and on que holds them up at the top of the 6th.

the plan should be to let him go on his own through 4, start watching him closely in the 5th, have someone up in the pen by the 6th just in case, and unless he's got a no-hitter or perfect game going (highly unlikely of course), there's no way in hell he should ever see the 7th inning.

the mets have had the best bullpen in baseball all year. might as well use it.

Last edited:
He still concerns me a little bit.

But like I said before, I think he'll step it up in the playoffs. Unless he is lights out, he should be in the showers by the end of the 6th.

from espn.com page2...

060921_rodriguez.jpg

Dalton said:

I've been to at least 12 cubs game every year since 89. So, I guess I'm a bigger cubs fan than many die hard fans of other teams, no?

Going to a Cub game doesn't make you a fan. there are plenty of assclowns who go to many games who couldn't tell you who's pitching or what the score is. In fact, I'd venture that most people who really are Cub fans don't go to many games b/c assclowns buy up all the tickets.

:tsk:

BTW I'm loving that the park is half empty lately even though all those tickets have been sold. :love:

I don't think there's a manager left in the National League who has any balls.

*watches Howard get walked with 2 on, no one out*
*next batter hits 2-run double*

WildHoneyAlways said:

Going to a Cub game doesn't make you a fan. there are plenty of assclowns who go to many games who couldn't tell you who's pitching or what the score is. In fact, I'd venture that most people who really are Cub fans don't go to many games b/c assclowns buy up all the tickets.

I LOVE the smell of 'angry' in the evening. I hope you enjoy watching the playoffs this year deary.

who cares?

Wrigley Field is still BY FAR one of the best places to see a baseball game. Even with the drunks (who can be pretty entertaining when the team on the field suck ass).

I would take Wrigley and the neighborhood over Flushing, Shea and final approach for Laguardia ANY DAY!

you're missing the point... shea stadium is a dump and wrigley field is an icon.

i was refering to the mocking of a white sox fan for the sox not making the playoffs a year after winning the world series when the cubs haven't won in... 80? 90 years?

if i were to ever say shea is better than wrigley field i should be smacked in the face.

You just need a good smack in the face...period! :kiss:

yeah...its been just under 90 years! :D

Sock are 5 1/2 out of the wild card with three games against the leaders. The Twins.

ok...yeah. they are out!

its still not a race

even if the cards lose tonight, the astros will be 4 games out on the loss side with 7 games left

and all 7 of the cards games are at home, where they have been dominant

C'mon, as a Cards fan you can't feel particularly confident right now.
They've been dominant at home, so they'll probably squeak in, but they will have the worst record of the MLB playoff teams, and will be on the road against either the Mets or Padres, looking like they might get 1 playoff victory when Carpy pitches and then out.

to be technical, the cardinals have 8 games left... the game against san francisco will have to be made up if it's a race. which depending on how you look at it is either a good thing or a bad thing for st. louis... they'll either be playing a team with nothing to play for who don't give a crap, or a team that's pissed that they had to play another game after the season and want to play the spoiler.

frankly i'd rather see the cardinals get in... houston's pitching scares me, where as st. louis' pitching... well... not so much.

oh, and three of those games at home are against san diego... who aren't exactly gonna roll over and die. last time i checked, they still have a bit to play for.

Last edited:
alright with a week left in the season, the award picture is cleaning up nicely...

al mvp - derek jeter
nl mvp - ryan howard

al cy young - johan santana
nl cy young - no one deserving, give out two next year instead

ok fine... let carpenter and webb split it, just to make them feel good about themselves. frankly the most dominant pitcher over the past 2 months in the nl has been billy wagner, but he'll never get it... i could see 'em giving it to tervor hoffman as like a "hey you're not in the same strasophere as mariano rivera, but you were pretty good too, so here's a trophy" kinda deal... but frankly, who cares.. the nl's pitching has sucked.

al manager of the year - jim leyland
nl manager of the year - joe girardi

nl rookie of the year - dan uggla
al rookie of the year - francisco liriano

nl comeback player - nomar garciapara
al comeback player - frank thomas

can't argue w/ most of those.

But I don't think the ROY awards are that clear cut.

NL ROY - Zimmerman has been great as well
AL ROY - I choose Jered Weaver only because he's been fantastic for longer due to not being injured.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

oh, and three of those games at home are against san diego... who aren't exactly gonna roll over and die. last time i checked, they still have a bit to play for.

while houston is playing at Philly who also has something to play for

baseball prospectus Postseason Odds still gives the Cardinals a 97.91238% chance of winning the division. its a lock.

but yes the cardinals arent that good, and anything good they could do in the playoffs would just be considered a bonus, im not expecting much. and frankly I prefer seeing the Mets in the first round. if Carp can win both his games then maybe you can sneak 1 win out of the other 3.

though that is what I think is silly about the playoff system. after 6 long months and 162 games the mets have clearly proven they are the better team, yet if the Cardinals get hot over a short 5 game series than that means nothing.

That is true Chizip.

like the lotto, you gotta be in it to win it...and the hot team going into the playoffs has just as good a shot as anyone.....hence why I do not want to see them Fightin' Phils.

WildHoneyAlways said:

Uh, I will. Thanks. Who's angry?

I don' t have the slightest idea what this has to do with assclown Cub fans though.

You're angry dear, as my Tigers just made it mathematically impossible for the Sux to catch them...

AND, I passed up your 'assclown' comment because I am quite sure that no Sux fan wants to get into a conversation about stereotyping fans.

gam2.jpg
2002-09-20-gamboa-inside.jpg

Last edited:
Chizip said:

though that is what I think is silly about the playoff system. after 6 long months and 162 games the mets have clearly proven they are the better team, yet if the Cardinals get hot over a short 5 game series than that means nothing.

It's still better than a 103-game winner not making the playoffs. Eight seems to me the right number of teams to have in the postseason.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

al mvp - derek jeter
I think this is the only one I might disagree with (and it has nothing to do with "Jeets" being a Yankee), a few weeks ago, I was touting Jermaine Dye, but the White Sox have the large fork in them now, so I look at the other playoff teams and one guy has quietly put himself near the top in all 3 triple crown categories...

Your 2006 AL MVP, Justin Morneau...Current stats
.323 Average (5th in league, .16 points behind Jeets)
33 HR (11th in league, 19 more than Jeets)
126 RBI (2nd in league, 30 more than Jeets)

Of course the writers will give it to Jeter not wanting to upset the gay population, a growing MLB fan base that Bud Selig is cultivating, but I couldn't vote for a 14 HR guy as MVP when there are serious run producing candidates on other payoff teams. In fact i might put Giambi higher on the ballot than Jeets.

Back
Top Bottom