MLB Offseason Thread: 2007-2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They weren't. One of the pitchers was a blue-chipper, another was supposed to be a near-MLB ready lefty, a command guy.

I like Swisher...Billy Beane had a major hard on for him when he drafted him, I remember that bit in Moneyball. Apparently they plan to play Swisher in CF...the ChiSox could actually be good this year if any relief pitchers bother showing up.

According to Clemens, he'll gladly speak to Congress. Hell, he threw a press conference to clear his name.

Last edited:
Re: his Friday phone call with his trainer...

Answer: "Because you told me to...!

The Question that Roger never asked: "Why did you stick that needle in my ass????"

All smoke-screen....:liarsmilie:

That phone conversation was just weird. What exactly was Clemens trying to accomplish by playing that for people? McNamee was putting on a good show by saying multiple times, I'll do whatever you want.

Roger danced like Fred Astaire!

Its apparent to me that the trainer did NOT know that the call was being taped, which is most jurisdictions is illegal (poor Roger) and that Roger was merely trying to bait him into some voluntary admissions...

Like a couple of girls dancing and neither knowing who was to lead...the trainer seemed to be "on" to Roger... what a circus...

Roger can't even pretend to be mad...he's toast.

Last edited:
That was bizarre listening to that, but in the end, it really didn't change anything.

Either Clemens is really innocent, or he has psychologically convinced himself he did no wrong. Whatever it is, I can't see how suing the guy helps him at all. It will just open up a big can of worms.

I saw an ESPN ticker-line say that the trainer plans to Counter-sue Clemons...

Remember what George Costanza said, "Its not a lie, if you believe it..."

I'm guessing Clemons is a Seinfeld fan...

I have only heard clips of the conversation, but from what I understand Clemens never explicitly asked McNamee, "Why did you lie Brian? Why did you do it? You know you shot me with B12."

This would have, of course, forced McNamee to answer either "I'm not lying" or "I did it because...." Of course, because Clemens knew the conversation was being taped he didn't want McNamee to answer those questions!

Wouldn't those be natural questions to ask someone that had done you wrong?

why wouldn't clemens do this? there's no way to prove the accusation, so there's no way to tell if clemens is lying or if mcnamee is lying. he can sound as outraged as he wants because he knows full well that there are no reciepts and no positive tests to prove that he did it.

when a guy names 10 guys, and 9 guys admitt that the guy was telling the truth, and one guy says he was lying... yea... i'm gonna believe the guy who named the 10 guys.

and on that, clemens is still a first ballot hall of famer and it's an absolute joke if he's not voted in as such. much like it'll be a continuing joke when mcgwire isn't voted in today.

but not as big a joke as if jim rice doesn't get in today.

I'm more of a Dwight Evans guy myself...and I'd put Andre Dawson and Lou Whitaker in.

And who the f**k exactly voted for Todd Stottlemyre? Does Mel have a vote?

As much as I loved watching Dewey Evans play, I don't believe he is quite hall of fame material, but Rice is.

And who voted for Chuck Finley, does Tawny Kitaen have a vote? And did Halle Berry vote for David Justice?

Travis Fryman was an all-star SS/3B for Detroit for a number of years, but he's well behind someone like Alan Trammell, who is considered a borderline candidate.

Mo Vaughn is almost certainly considered damaged goods now.

Yeah true. Wasn't Fryman on those slugging Tigers teams with Tettleton, Deer, Fielder, Tony Phillips...and Trammell & Whitaker were still there I think.

Would you put Trammell in? I think he's hurt (and Whitaker to an extent) but the big-hitting middle infielders like Kent, Sandberg, Nomar, Jeter, and ARod.

People forget what an absolute beast Mo was when he was in Boston. I blame Steve Phillips :wink:

Edit: Just realized people might think I seriously want Mo & Valentin in the HoF. Forgot the smilie.

Sigh.....

What could have been....

From mlb.com:

"Figgins led the Majors in on-base percentage from the leadoff spot last season, reaching base at a .415 clip while hitting a career-best .330, sixth in the American League.

Kotchman was on his way to a career year when he was derailed by injuries, but he still finished with a .296 average and career highs in doubles (37), homers (11) and RBIs (68). His .372 on-base percentage was third-best on the club after Vladimir Guerrero's .403 and Figgins' .393.

A left wrist injury sustained on Aug. 21, requiring surgery after the season, dogged Figgins down the stretch and during the three-game sweep by Boston in the AL Division Series.

"It was hard to keep both hands on the bat," Figgins admitted when it was over. "You leave it all on the field; that's all you can do. Boston just beat us. You can give thousands of reasons why they won, but it doesn't really matter.

"We have a good team. We didn't have our guys on the field. That's not an excuse; it's a fact. It happened. You don't have your guys on the field, it's hard to beat a team like Boston."

Kotchman was forced to watch the final two games of the series from a hospital bed, taken down by an illness in Beantown as the series unfolded. Gary Matthews Jr. missed the entire series with a knee injury, while Guerrero and Garret Anderson were far from healthy.

John...you, a supposed ace, couldn't get outs so it didn't matter who was hurt or faked an illness to avoid the embarassment of being on the field for yet another devastatingly one sided series sweep.
Look in the mirror John.

CTU2fan said:

Would you put Trammell in? I think he's hurt (and Whitaker to an extent)
Trammell and Whittaker are both hurt by their guest appearance on Magnum P.I.
After that, they stood no chance of the HoF.

Back
Top Bottom