MLB Offseason Thread: 2007-2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Newsday.com
Mets could get Santana within 10 days
BY KEN DAVIDOFF

ken.davidoff@newsday.com

7:40 PM EST, January 27, 2008

The Johan Santana trade discussions finally might be entering their final lap, and the Mets still appear to be the favorites to land the two-time Cy Young Award winner.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press reported Sunday that a trade of Santana, a Minnesota Twin since 2000, "is expected to occur within 10 days." That matches a widely held industry belief that the Twins have every intention of moving Santana before the start of spring training.

The Yankees don't want to include Phil Hughes in a trade for Santana, as general manager Brian Cashman made clear Friday night in an event at William Paterson College in New Jersey. The Red Sox always seemed more interested in keeping the price high for the Yankees than actually acquiring Santana for themselves.

The Mets, meanwhile, have held off on signing free-agent pitchers Livan Hernandez or Kyle Lohse until the Twins decide on Santana. The Mets are willing to give up multiple prospects for Santana, who wants a six-year, $150-million extension in return for waiving his no-trade clause. To date, however, the Mets have not relented on giving up minor-league outfielder Fernando Martinez in addition to outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Deolis Guerra, Phil Humber and Kevin Mulvey.

The Twins tried to get the Angels involved in the Santana discussions, the Pioneer Press reported, but the pitching-heavy Angels are more focused on trying to upgrade their offense.

Copyright © 2008, Newsday Inc.

your daily johan update

Mets optimistic on Santana offer
BY KEN DAVIDOFF

ken.davidoff@newsday.com

January 29, 2008

As of late yesterday afternoon, the Mets had yet to hear anything new from the Twins regarding the Johan Santana sweepstakes. They expect that to change shortly, and hope that their offer can land the two-time Cy Young Award winner.

"Everybody was floating their cards around the table," a person plugged into the Mets' thinking said yesterday on the condition of anonymity. "Now they're going to have to put them on the table. We'll just go from there."

The Mets are undoubtedly the most motivated buyers in the race for Santana, and they might very well be the only team willing to both give a package of young players and commit to a lucrative contract extension with Santana. While the Mets have drawn a line at five-year agreements with pitchers, they have an excellent relationship with Santana's representative Peter Greenberg (who counts Jose Reyes as a client), so common ground should be discovered in any such negotiations.

With the Yankees and Red Sox all but out of the bidding, the Mets can continue to insist on holding on to outfield prospect Fernando Martinez, leaving their offer at outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Deolis Guerra, Phil Humber and Kevin Mulvey. The Twins appear determined to trade Santana before camp.

:pray:

The Twins will tell the Mets what they want, the Mets will agree, then the Twins will say, "throw in those Reyes and Wright kids and we have a deal".

Yes, I would imagine that Headache should be quite happy with this news. All that's reportedly left to do is for Santana to reach a new deal with the Mets. So, I guess that's good news for everyone except NL East teams.

:dance: :dance: :dance:
bono.gif

johan.gif
bono.gif

:dance: :dance: :dance:

:happy:

phanan said:
Fine with me if he goes to the NL.

I didn't want the Red Sox to part with too many prospects anyway.
I think the Sox would have been better with him regardless of the package sent to Minny, and looking at the stats of the 4 Met prospects the Twins got, I find it hard to believe that this deal is better than either of the packages the Sox had on the table in December, especially the one with Ellsbury and the minor leaguers.
I'm glad Ellsbury is still in Boston, would have been giddy if the Twins accepted the Lester package.
Great deal for the Mets, they should be easy favorites to win the NL if they stay healthy.
Looks like 3 teams in one class, Mets, Tigers and Red Sox, and then there's everybody else.

Get your tix now Headache, Shea will be rockin' this year...hope to have a Sox/Mets WS to follow up our little Pats/Giants Super Bowl.

The deal is a steal in my eyes.

Hewson said:
I think the Sox would have been better with him regardless of the package sent to Minny, and looking at the stats of the 4 Met prospects the Twins got, I find it hard to believe that this deal is better than either of the packages the Sox had on the table in December, especially the one with Ellsbury and the minor leaguers.
I'm glad Ellsbury is still in Boston, would have been giddy if the Twins accepted the Lester package.
Great deal for the Mets, they should be easy favorites to win the NL if they stay healthy.
Looks like 3 teams in one class, Mets, Tigers and Red Sox, and then there's everybody else.

Get your tix now Headache, Shea will be rockin' this year...hope to have a Sox/Mets WS to follow up our little Pats/Giants Super Bowl.

It's definitely a steal.

As for the Sox, I previously agreed that the Lester deal would have been great for Boston, but the more and more I think about it, I think Lester breaks out in a big way this year. His cancer is behind him, his arm strength is back, and he'll have an entire spring training to get ready.

I predict down the road that we'll look at this non-trade and see that it benefitted the Sox greatly, especially with Ellsbury still being around as well.

Lester may improve, but he'll never equal Santana.

A rotation of Beckett, Santana, Matsuzaka, Schilling and me would win 100-110 games, if they cut me and put Buccholz in the 5th slot, they might have won 120.

The Twins did not even get Fernando Martinez.

I mean, like a lot of deals, time will tell, but, it sure seems like the Mets made a great trade.

I'm happy Santana is not a Red Sox.

Will be interesting to see if Santana's ERA dips even further than normal, pitching in the NL.

Congrats, Headache.

Hewson said:

In retrospect, it looks like the Yankees and Red Sox were trying to bid up the price on Santana for each other, then both dropped out simultaneously, leaving the Twins to deal him for the Mets' pu-pu platter.

John Lackey said:
Well, hell, it looks like we're gonna have to beat your boys in the WS, Headache. :wink:
You haven't (thankfully) been traded to the Red Sox John. [soup nazi]No World Series for you!!![/soup nazi].

speedracer said:

In retrospect, it looks like the Yankees and Red Sox were trying to bid up the price on Santana for each other, then both dropped out simultaneously, leaving the Twins to deal him for the Mets' pu-pu platter.
Yep. If I'm a Mets fan, I'm thrilled (and it seems our resident Mets fans Headache and MrPryck are), if I'm a Twins fan...not so much. Highway robbery. Looks very similar to the theft Dan Duquette mad in Montreal when he got Pedro in his prime for a couple of schlubs, the biggest claim to fame of either of them being bedding Alyssa Milano (the baseball thread always seems to work its way back to the lovely Ms. Milano somehow).

Varitek said:
Are you sure it isn't, santana can do for the mets what pedro did for the mets?

no... pedro made the mets matter again, and he's certainly still a very capable pitcher... one of the best in the game when healthy, but he's not the dominant force he was when he came to boston from montreal.

santana is just that... a dominant pitcher just entering his prime, still not 30 years old. and to top it off he's coming to a pitcher's park (citi will be, also) in a weak league where he gets 2 free outs at the bottom of the order.

:hi5:

i can finally speak... as you may have been able to tell from last night's posts, i was speechless that they were actually able to pull it off. not that i cared if they gave up f.martinez and/or pelfrey or heilman or whomever... but the fact that they were able to get santana and keep those guys just makes it all the more sweeter.

i know it's always a risk with a pitcher... they can throw out their elbow tomorrow and never be the same. but... yea... this is johan santana we're talking about. it's worth the risk. oh baby is it worth the risk.

and i will say this... if omar is not able to get a contract extention signed, i will forego my fandom of the mets until he is no longer the GM. but something tells me i won't have to worry about that.

:hi5: great success. :happy:

Back
Top Bottom