MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He escaped the media on monday night and escaped giving any real answers during his press conference as to why he's leaving.

Not the money.
Not Lucchino and power struggle.
Not Shaghnessy's article or the media for that matter.

What the hell could it be?

You guys may think I'm joking...Theo's taking 2006 off and will spend much of it on the road with Pearl Jam.

He figures this is his last shot at a full summer off, and he's taking it and will be able to pick a GM job out of about 10 openings for 2007.

randhail said:
He escaped the media on monday night and escaped giving any real answers during his press conference as to why he's leaving.

Not the money.
Not Lucchino and power struggle.
Not Shaghnessy's article or the media for that matter.

What the hell could it be?

You didn't honestly think we'd know the whole truth from this, did you?

I was hoping for a little something at least... like philosophical differences or Bill Parcells famous "if they want you to cook the dinner, they at least ought to let you shop for some of the groceries" line.

John Henry seems very broken up over this whole thing. He also is taking all of the blame away from Steinberg, Lucchino, etc like a champ.

Just hear a rumor on ESPN Radio:

3 way trade "buzz" between Angels, D Backs, and Sawx

Angels would get Manny
Sawx would Erstad and Glaus
D Backs would get um. I can't remember, but someone

How the hell did Derek Jeter win a Gold Glove over Orlando Cabrera?

speedracer said:
How the hell did Derek Jeter win a Gold Glove over Orlando Cabrera?

derek jeter is the most over-rated fielder perhaps of all time... for one reason... he's clutch.

he's always on the highlight reels making some amazing catch in a late inning situation, so people think he's this great fielder... when in reality he is really pretty mediocre.

speedracer said:

The money is great, but I'm certain there was a lot more discussed during the negotiation than just the salary. And I'm sure Steinbrenner's going to be on Cashman's case the next time the Yankees go on a losing streak, but for now Cashman is happy.

Credit Steinbrenner here -- after all was said and done, he got his man signed, and the Red Sox didn't. Ugh.

this is the thing that makes me wonder about theo...

if theo thinks he had it bad in boston... good lord... try working for george steinbrenner. cashman must be laughing his ass off. the stuff that happened last week with theo is an average day at the bronx zoo.

that's what makes me think that either theo's a pansy... which i don't believe... that he wanted more money, or that he just really didn't wanna do it anymore and just used this as an excuse to get out.

Dalton said:
What would have to happen for the Cubs to win the World Series next year?

One thing is for sure, we don't need to be a great team. The White Sox are not a great team. The Marlins were not a great team. The Diamondbacks were not a great team. The were all smart teams that had good (great in the case of the DB's) starting pitching. So what do we need?

alas, you are missing something... the teams you named did not have great talent, yes... this is true. but they were most certainly great teams, in the truest sense of the word.

TheBrush said:

As a mets fan, I would love to see Furcal in blue and orange.

1 Furcal/Reyes
2 " " " " "
3 Beltran
4 Floyd
5 Wright
6 Cammy
7 since the mets don't currently have a catcher i will put my name here
Dan

8 jacobs

AND imagine if they could get there hands on konerko......if they get furcal they will probably focus on a closer next since loopers option was not picked up.

Hey Numb, Headache....my mets peeps......where do you think our team should go.

Catcher????? Molina.....Hernandez.....keep castro and split time with someone you could easily pickup(say Schnieder(ooohhhhh a lefty bat)
or Jojima....I know, I know we have been burned on Japanese imports in the past....well everytime. But he had 36 homeruns in 107 games... that is close to hideki numbers.....maybe he could at least be looked at....and he might come cheaper than Molina(hmmmmm didnt the mets overpay for a player how had an outstanding postseason before....Bustran).

Firstbase???? Ok I dont want to hear trading for Thome or trading for delgado. these delgado rumors are killing me. Minaya wants an all dominican team regardless of cost or performance.

Jacobs is a possibility...but Im sure teams will figure him out...will he adjust?
Olerud would be a great fit with the young infield and if they get Molina and furcal he would be cheap and could bad 7/8.

My dream is Konerko. I have always loved his bat. But then that would tighten the pockets of freddy wilpon elsewhere.

Secondbase????? Furcal........Kent(and his colostomy bag...what is he now 38 and with the range of my grandfather)...... Anderson Hernandez(hes tearing up winter ball) If you go with Molina/Konerko you could live with hernandez at second.

Closer????? guardado......wagner......hoffman

KONERKO!!!!!!!!!! NOW

first thing's first... they need a closer. billy wagner or b.j. ryan would be my choices. i don't want any part of eddie guardado... if they're gonna bring him in, they might as well just try heilaman at the closer's spot.

also... carlos beltran can not hit third. he isn't a #3 hitter, never had been, never will be. if they continue to try to put him in the three spot, he will continue to be a bust. he's a natural 2 hitter, and that is where he belongs.

david wright needs to bat third in this lineup next year... unless they can somehow pull off a manny trade, which i'm doubting at this time.

i like molina.. i'd sign him. if not, let castro start and sign someone to split time with him. the only way i want any part of the catcher from japan is if we can have matsui deported in the process.

they need another bat... be it konerko or someone else. they need a bat. soriano? anyone... they need to improve their run scoring ability.

would i like to have furcal? yea... of course. he's a great player. but we still need a big power guy in the lineup to backup wright. i'm not confident that floyd can do what he did last year again.... and frankly, i'd look into trading floyd if we can get something good back.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

derek jeter is the most over-rated fielder perhaps of all time... for one reason... he's clutch.

he's always on the highlight reels making some amazing catch in a late inning situation, so people think he's this great fielder... when in reality he is really pretty mediocre.
Jeter's fielding is a bit deceiving...he doesn't make a lot of errors, but his range is terrible for a SS (his is more like 2B range), so a lot of balls a guy like Cabrera would get to and a guy like Renteria would boot, just go past Jeter into LF as singles. He makes the plays on everything he gets to, just doesn't cover nearly as much ground as most shortstops.

Konerko is talking to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Konerko was quoted as saying "I'm interested in what they have to say":scratch:

Numb1075 said:
Konerko is talking to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Konerko was quoted as saying "I'm interested in what they have to say":scratch:

If the Sox want to keep him, they'll have to overpay for him. In fact, just about everyone will probably have to overpay for him. :happy:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
he's also demanded a move back to center field...

Demanded?? What an a$$. He gladly moved to right right field last season, why can't he just play there and be happy? We don't need "Me first" players. Good bye.

Worst case scenario, Diaz will play RF.

Cameron and his seeing eye dog to San Diego means no Manny to the Mets. Thats a good thing from a Boston perspective.

And memo to Scott Boras....7 years, $84Mil for Johnny Damon is not happening, nowhere, nohow. The per season money isn't that unreasonable, but nobody's giving Captain Caveman any more than 4 years at this point.

Hewson said:
Cameron and his seeing eye dog to San Diego means no Manny to the Mets. Thats a good thing from a Boston perspective.

not neccesarily...

there are many out there who feel that boston is going to tank this season, dump payroll and regroup for 2007 with a younger squad.

if this is true... perhaps floyd, nady, milledge & heilaman might be able to get it done, as long as the mets are willing to take on the majority of manny's salary. floyd only had a year left on his contract.

time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom