MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like John Olerud is retiring after 16 years in the MLB.

Thanks for the memories John.

Great bat & great glove....stand up guy to boot as well.

Can someone please inform me why BJ Ryan got the richest contract for a relief pitcher in history?

According my research, he's had 1 tremendous year (last year).

His ERA has been sparkling for the past 2 years, but his career ERA is 3.54.....not exactly dominant

the almighty baseball phrase that makes every GM wet themselves...

"he's got good stuff"

that of course doesn't mean that he'll be good, or that he has the balls to be a big time closer, but he does have "stuff."

just like every single minor league pitcher to ever get traded... they all have "great stuff."

now there's only about a dozen or so great pitchers in baseball today... two dozen good pitchers... yet every single franchise, and said franchise's fans, claim to have 3 or 4 pitchers with the "stuff" to be a top of the line pitcher. if they're lucky, one of those guys will ever make the front 3 of a major league rotation. most will end up being middle relief pitchers somewhere.

but god for bid one of 'em gets traded... it's the end of the world.

it's the only thing i like about the oakland a's and their "moneyball" system... they draft guys who put up numbers on winning teams... not just guys with "good stuff."

now if they'd only attempt to keep one or two of 'em instead of bitching about how they're headed for the poor house...

Last edited:
yeah, if Zito gets traded, then their Big 3 are all gone.....Might have been nice to lock up the 3 of them to long term deals if possible.

MrBrau1 said:
Manny/Vlad back to back is 80+ HR, 250+ RBI.
Basically they'd be Manny/Ortiz, just with 2 righthanded bats.
Money/Ortiz was unquestionably the biggest 1-2 (3-4 actually)punch in baseball the last 2 years...the Sox would be silly to break it up without getting huge returns, regardless of Money's unhappiness, wall pissing and prohibitive contract. Just pay the man, deal with a few flaky moments, and lead the majors in run production again. That combined with the addition of Beckett and a hopefully healthy Schilling puts the Sox (Red of course the only good color) right back amongst the favorites to win the whole enchilada.
If he goes to the Northern Mexico Angels of Southern Oregon, they become instant favorites if they keep a reasonable rotation. The only way I deal him is for at least 1 top flight player and 2 type A prospects, which not many teams(probably not any) would consider, but thats the only true value. The man is one of the greatest run producers any of us will ever see play in our lifetimes. Plus he has Sideshow Bob-esque hair.

The Cubs sent Sergio Mitre and two minor leaguers (Ricky Nolasco and Renyel Pinto) to the Marlins for Juan Pierre.
This is definitely a good trade for the Cubs, they really need a leadoff hitter. And they didn't give up that much for him, either.

Personally, I think it's a steal for the Nationals. Wilkerson has had one decent year, and Sledge is still unproven.

In the meantime, Soriano has consistently put up good power numbers, even though he strikes out a lot.

i'd be careful with soriano in that ballpark...

with no one in that lineup to give him any protection, the pitchers are going to give him nothing to hit... but seeing as soriano's a free swinger, he's gonna swing at 'em anyways.

i'm gonna go .260, 26 dingers, 85 RBIs, an increase in strikeouts and a shit load of errors.

and as for wilkerson... he now goes to a great hitters park where he can just fit in and not be the man, hit 7th instead of leadoff, which was silly... and probably have a decent little year.

but all the rangers need to do is fire buck showalter and they'll win the world series... they need to realize this.

Last edited:
Manny scenarios
Dec 8 - There was talk of a three-way deal that would have sent Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers, but it fell apart, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports. Ramirez would have gone to Los Angeles for J.D. Drew, Derek Lowe and a pitching prospect. Lowe, Trot Nixon and a prospect would have gone to Philadelphia for Bobby Abreu.
The Red Sox earlier told Gammons that Ramirez will not be traded this week because such a deal would be too complicated and take too much time to sort out.

The Mets have talked to the Red Sox about Ramirez and asked Boston to take second baseman Kaz Matsui in a deal along with Lastings Milledge, Aaron Heilman and other prospects.

According to The Boston Globe, there was substance to the rumor that the Red Sox were working on a three-way deal with the Angels and Diamondbacks. The Angels would get Ramirez, the D-Backs would get prospects from the Angels and the Red Sox would receive a package of players that includes third baseman Troy Glaus.

Dec 8 - The Mets moved closer Wednesday to trading starter Kris Benson to Texas after talks broke down with Kansas City, Newsday reports.
According to the newspaper, the Mets would send Benson to the Rangers for outfielder Laynce Nix and righthander Juan Dominguez.

The Mets reportedly would like to clear Benson's salary (he's owed $15 million over the next two seasons) to make a run at Oakland's Barry Zito or Arizona's Javier Vazquez, who has requested a trade.

Dec 8 - With Roger Clemens uncertain whether he will pitch again or retire, the Astros declined to offer salary arbitration . The move means the seven-time Cy Young Award winner can't re-sign with the NL champions before May 1.
Houston's decision could lead to other teams trying to lure Clemens, such as the Yankees and Red Sox, two of his former clubs.

"If anybody calls, we'll listen," said agent Randy Hendricks.

Dec 7 - Mike Piazza's days with the Mets are over. The team declined to offer salary arbitration to their longtime catcher, cutting ties with one of the best hitters in franchise history.
The move was no surprise, and now the 12-time All-Star is likely to join an American League team that can use him as a designated hitter. The Angels and Twins are among four teams interested in the 37-year-old slugger.

I'm surprised only 4 teams are interested in Piazza

I think as a DH, can still put up real good #s

145 games played
30 hr
85-90 rbi
.290 BA

Well since we traded Doug Mirabelli, Piazza could be Wakefield's personal catcher in Boston (cause his defensive skills are so outstanding he could handle the knuckler with ease :wink: ), then DH on the other 4 days, while David Ortiz could challenge Rafael Palmeiro for the AL Gold Glove at 1B.
Plus Piazza could get a nice South End condo and weekend getaway in Provincetown, he'd feel right at home in both locales.

Hewson said:
Well since we traded Doug Mirabelli, Piazza could be Wakefield's personal catcher in Boston (cause his defensive skills are so outstanding he could handle the knuckler with ease :wink: ), then DH on the other 4 days, while David Ortiz could challenge Rafael Palmeiro for the AL Gold Glove at 1B.
Plus Piazza could get a nice South End condo and weekend getaway in Provincetown, he'd feel right at home in both locales.

piazza could 40+ over the mawnstah w/ the flick of his wrists

Supposedly the deal sending Rent-a-Wreck to the Braves is done, but the Sox are only getting a prospect in return. This better be part of a larger deal with the Rays or someone else, because that is definitely not worth it, even for Renteria.

Toronto has been extremely active this off season. I'm impressed, they increased their payroll from like 45M to 75M

BJ Ryan
AJ Burnett
and now Lyle Overbay

Numb1075 said:
Toronto has been extremely active this off season. I'm impressed, they increased their payroll from like 45M to 75M

BJ Ryan
AJ Burnett
and now Lyle Overbay

yeah but the Ryan and Burnett deals are both pretty ridiculous.

they have to be rediculous... otherwise they never would have signed with toronto.

teams that have been bad for a while need to over-pay to get players to go there... the blue jays are baisicly following the example of the mets last year.

and speaking of the mets, they finally took someone away from the braves... 97 year old julio franco is the mets new backup firstbaseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom