MLB 2K5 Pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm Ready said:

i agree

im a whitesox fan, i liked the redsox until they won the world series because the fans started to piss me off

in the meantime the sox took 2 of 3 from the yanks so take that all those espn idiots who say we cudnt compete with them

now gotta keep the pace up against boston

I think us Red Sox fans should really save this sort of gloating for Yankees fans. After all, the other 28 teams didn't stage the greatest sports collapse in the history of the universe.

phanan said:
Could it be that the Yankees will actually miss the playoffs this year?

:hmm:
Its certainly too early to bury them just yet, buit with the state of their rotation methinks its very likley.
BTW, in case nobody noticed, since Randy Johnson has been scratched tonight, I'm starting for the Yanks...they've gotten that desperate.
Watch out for my nasty 69MPH slider.

i don't think the yanks will make the playoffs. however, they could slug their way to winning a 12 out of 15 stretch or something like that. If all their all stars start clicking on all cylinders that is....

I just don't think it will be enough. The Red Sox have a ridiculous number of home games in September, and the wild card will probably be either the Angels or Athletics - teams that have much better pitching staffs than the Yankees.

Hewson said:
Its certainly too early to bury them just yet, buit with the state of their rotation methinks its very likley.
BTW, in case nobody noticed, since Randy Johnson has been scratched tonight, I'm starting for the Yanks...they've gotten that desperate.
Watch out for my nasty 69MPH slider.

wow, we are all starting to catch on. With you pitching for the wanks, and me and numb playing first and second for the muts anythings possible.

jeez 69mph slider is tough. the only pitches I can handle are fastballs.....slow ones:wink:

Great article by Frank Deford

Crime and (sort of) punishment
Baseball could learn a lot from cyclist Tyler Hamilton

Posted: Thursday August 11, 2005 2:49PM; Updated: Friday August 12, 2005 12:58AM

Something is terribly out of whack here. Tyler Hamilton, an American cyclist, tested positive for blood doping last year. Even as he appeals, he is in the process of serving a two-year suspension. Rafael Palmeiro tested positive for steroids and endured a suspension of 10 days. The disparity in the penalties is simply ludicrous. Either the Olympic judgment, as meted out by the World Anti-Doping Agency, is too severe ... or baseball law is a joke.

To be sure, Palmeiro has been disgraced, and in light of his sworn testimony before Congress, he's been exposed as a liar as well as a cheat. He also may have lost his chance to be voted into the Hall Of Fame. But justice is not supposed to be about peripheral castigation. Do the crime, do the time. Ten days for an offense of this nature is asinine. Pete Rose was banished from the game for transgressions that were nowhere near as damaging to baseball.

The fact is that the players' union has its integrity on the line. If it does not go along with Commissioner Bud Selig and dramatically stiffen doping penalties, then it reveals itself not to be a support force for its honest members, but an enabling agency for its culprits.

As a point of passing interest, it's worth noting that Hamilton, the cyclist, actually has a good case for acquittal. Circumstantially, he looks so guilty he could also be fairly charged with killing Cock Robin. Blood doping means transfusing extra blood or blood products into your body. More red cells, more endurance. And Hamilton came up positive in a new test for blood doping after winning a gold medal at the Olympics last year. Then, only a few weeks later, Hamilton tested positive again at a race in Spain.

But here's the rub. While the tests clearly showed that Hamilton had two different blood populations in his system, it can't prove how the second blood got there.

But if not by transfusion, then how?

Well, some esteemed doctors claim that as much as 50 percent -- maybe even all -- of us are chimeric. That means that we have traces of other blood in our systems that have been there since the womb. This second blood either comes from the mother or from what is known as a "vanishing twin" -- that is: a second embryo that was conceived but failed to develop.

If all that sounds like something out of a Stephen King novel -- and, indeed, the anti-doping people hoot at it -- Hamilton owns serious medical support for his appeal, which comes up in September.

Unfortunately for Palmeiro, he can't claim that it was his evil vanishing twin who took the steroids. He's just very lucky that his sentence is only 1.4 percent what Hamilton -- or any Olympic athlete -- must serve for the same first offense.

Too much of our discussion about baseball's drug users is devoted to the past. Can we excise the records of those who are so transparently guilty of steroid use? Can we bestow asterisks? Can we undo those things that ought not to have been done? No, we can't. We can't re-write history. Get over it.

Instead, what we can do is deal with the present and the future, and the prime thing on that agenda is to force the baseball union to own up to its responsibilities and properly punish the bad guys.

speedracer said:

I think us Red Sox fans should really save this sort of gloating for Yankees fans. After all, the other 28 teams didn't stage the greatest sports collapse in the history of the universe.

Blah blah blah.

Now it seems as if the Red Sox was the greatest team in history, after winning one World Series in like a gazillion years.

This time will also pass, as soon as they get eliminated for the playoffs.

Given that all the teams I like are sucking now (Yankees, Nationals, etc.) I think I will start supporting the White Sox.

phanan said:
Eliminated for the playoffs?

You honestly believe the Red Sox won't make the playoffs? I mean, I know you're a Yankees fan, but still.

They will make the playoffs, I give you that. I cannot be that narrow minded not to recognize that it is very likely that they will win the Division.

But I hope with all my heart that they get kicked out as soon as possible.

U2@NYC said:

Given that all the teams I like are sucking now (Yankees, Nationals, etc.) I think I will start supporting the White Sox.

Glad to see that you're a diehard fan through good times and bad times. But should they turn it around, you'll be right back on the bandwagon, saying I've always believed in them. right?

Look: Arod trying to grab Mike Young to prevent a double play. Scumbag.

NYFF10808120312.jpeg

Geez. If you're going to interfere illegally with a fielder, at least have the dignity to knock him over, A. Belle-style.

And yes, the 2004 World Series win was one in 86 years. But the Yankees' collapse in the 2004 ALCS will live on for eternity.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
Look: Arod trying to grab Mike Young to prevent a double play. Scumbag.

Man, he's getting worse. First the fiasco in last year's playoffs when he knocked the ball out of Bronson Arroyo's glove, then just the other day lingering in the base path so a pickoff attempt from the outfield wouldn't make it, and now this. What a loser.

randhail said:

Glad to see that you're a diehard fan through good times and bad times. But should they turn it around, you'll be right back on the bandwagon, saying I've always believed in them. right?

No, that it is not the kind of fan I am. I am not a baseball die-hard fan at all. I just liked the Yankees because I lived in New York.

And no need of being offensive, by the way.

Imarocker said:
I see a series of A's or WHITE SOX vs St. Louis

I think the cards will win if they get their lineup healthy.

i see a whitesox cards world series(the fact that the a's have a couple rookies in their rotation will cost them, even if buehrle and garland and buehrle havnt picthed in the playoffs either)

with that series the cards obviously have a better lineup but if the sox pitch like they did against the yankess they can win

I'm Ready said:

i see a whitesox cards world series(the fact that the a's have a couple rookies in their rotation will cost them, even if buehrle and garland and buehrle havnt picthed in the playoffs either)

You're not talking about Danny Haren, are you? He hasn't been as good as Garland and Buehrle this year, but he was one of the few pitchers on the Cards last year who remembered to bring his A-game to the World Series.

Back
Top Bottom