MLB 2014 Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kind of an ass-hat comment from a guy I'm really enjoying watching play, but only kinda. No one seems to care how long football games are, but I guess that's just because they're one day a week .

To get accustomed to the mound before throwing off of it.

There are plenty of other options for speeding up the game, and something needs to be done.

I get it, but bullpen mounds today are more consistent with the regular mound that perhaps limit the amount of pitches to two would help things.

So how badly is Andrew Friedmann going to bend over the Mariners for Price and Zobrist? The Mariners have a pretty deep, well balanced farm right now. They've probably got 15 guys in the top 250 overall (off the top of my head I can think of Tai Walker, James Paxton, Edwin Diaz, Victor Sanchez, Luiz Gohara, Tyler Pike, and maybe Daniel Missaki as pitchers; I can think of Alex Jackson, DJ Peterson, Nick Franklin [though he'd no longer be "ranked" as his rookie status is gone], Chris Taylor, Austin Wilson, Gabby Guerrero, Gareth Morgan, Tyler O'Neill, and Tyler Marlette as hitters). Friedmann knows this. Ugh. My stomach hurts just thinking about it. At least I know Jackson and Morgan cannot be traded this year.

Please not Peterson or Wilson, please not Peterson or Wilson....

Houston didn't sign Brady Aiken BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I haven't done a ton of research into this, yet, but did they just shoot themselves in the foot on this one? Most of the accusations I was reading were that they really had no good reason to be so hesitant and were just using whatever was "wrong" with his arm to be cheap and he wasn't budging. Is that about it, or is there more to it?

I haven't done a ton of research into this, yet, but did they just shoot themselves in the foot on this one? Most of the accusations I was reading were that they really had no good reason to be so hesitant and were just using whatever was "wrong" with his arm to be cheap and he wasn't budging. Is that about it, or is there more to it?
They had a limited amount of money remaining to sign draft picks with and had two guys (Aiken, the first pick, and Mac Marshall, a 21st-rounder) they wanted to get but couldn't afford if they were paying slot value to Aiken. So they tried to lowball Aiken by publicly accusing him of having arm problems in an attempt to free up enough money by going under slot to also offer Marshall a signing bonus that would convince him to sign.

Aiken, obviously, got really pissed. Even when Houston increased their offer (still below slot) he refused to sign. To make matters worse, Marshall didn't sign either. So they badly overplayed their hand and got burned as badly as any team has ever been burned in a single draft. It's an unequivocal disaster.

Houston's two "Process" teams have had an almost unfathomably shitty week.

I've read a couple places that next year's draft is supposed to be deeper. So they might be having two top 5-10 picks in a good draft instead of one pick in a relatively weak draft. It sets them back a year, but damn their 2015 draft board is gonna be sexy.

Their run right now is impressive. Some tough series coming up with the Mariners and Brewers though.

We knocked out Matt Garza after 1/3 of an inning. I can honestly say I've never seen that happen to a starting pitcher.

Really?
Happens a fair amount.
Red Sox took out Peacock for the Astros last Sunday after only 1/3, And he only gave up 1 run (on a leadoff homer), but had given up another hit, a walk and a hit batsman and the bases were loaded and dude clearly didn't have it.

Really?
Happens a fair amount.
Red Sox took out Peacock for the Astros last Sunday after only 1/3, And he only gave up 1 run (on a leadoff homer), but had given up another hit, a walk and a hit batsman and the bases were loaded and dude clearly didn't have it.

I follow a team with a really good rotation and a mediocre lineup, so it rarely if ever happens to us.

Potential duel in Anaheim tonight, King Felix vs Richards. Will the game take longer than 2 1/2 hours to complete?
dawson-crying-o.gif

Their run right now is impressive. Some tough series coming up with the Mariners and Brewers though.

Their run differential says they should be a better team than they've been... so it'll be interesting to watch this second half.

d'Arnaud is finally hitting, the pitching has been as advertised, and Harvey's rehab is going well.

I'm not going crazy and saying they'll make the playoffs... but if they can at least put themselves into the conversation on September 1st, it'll give the fan base a lot of hope heading into 2015.

Nationals Park has been booing Ryan Braun all weekend. Man, I'm not a fan either, but if a player using HGH was my one excuse for booing them, my voice would be shot in under an hour. He has no connection to us at all really.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom