MLB 2010 The Third - B. Wood Popped Out to Catcher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All things being equal I'd rather they get Dunn, but, if they can get Berkman for not a whole hell of a lot, it cannot hurt. Plus, his contract for next year is a club option with just a 2mil buyout so it's not like they'd be saddled with a bad contract long-term.

A Thames/Berkman DH platoon would be decent.

I love GAF's post, by the way.

You know, I know that I'm not a baseball or sports expert. I am just a cat that follows sports closely and used to televise it and still plays on weekends and shit.

This being said, it's staggering how often I shake my head at what Michael Kay has to say. Right now he's babbling about the potential Berkman acquisition. And, he just does not apply logic, or baseball knowledge when speculating where he might hit in the line-up, how the Yankees might use him, etc. It took Tino fucking Martinez to actually inject some logic into the discussion, and then they moved on, thankfully. Also, listening to Kay second guess every move Joe Maddon has ever made or will make is infuriating. Kay cannot abide that there's a manager out there that makes moves that all the other automatons wouldn't make. I'm not saying that Maddon is a genius or always right, but give the guy some credit for not giving a shit about what assclowns like Kay have to say when it comes to 2nd guessing, and for enjoying some pretty decent success the past 2 and 3/4 seasons.

/rant, sorry, it just drives me berserk.

You know, I know that I'm not a baseball or sports expert. I am just a cat that follows sports closely and used to televise it and still plays on weekends and shit.

This being said, it's staggering how often I shake my head at what Michael Kay has to say. Right now he's babbling about the potential Berkman acquisition. And, he just does not apply logic, or baseball knowledge when speculating where he might hit in the line-up, how the Yankees might use him, etc. It took Tino fucking Martinez to actually inject some logic into the discussion, and then they moved on, thankfully. Also, listening to Kay second guess every move Joe Maddon has ever made or will make is infuriating. Kay cannot abide that there's a manager out there that makes moves that all the other automatons wouldn't make. I'm not saying that Maddon is a genius or always right, but give the guy some credit for not giving a shit about what assclowns like Kay have to say when it comes to 2nd guessing, and for enjoying some pretty decent success the past 2 and 3/4 seasons.

/rant, sorry, it just drives me berserk.
You could always turn to the radio and learn about how the Grandy Man can.

You could always turn to the radio and learn about how the Grandy Man can.

"It's a home run from Robby Cano! Don'tcha know!"

"Mark sends a Teix message!"

Hard to believe that the radio guy is even worse.

Fucking embarrassing.

And these Heineken sports with the 2 young idiots hanging out with the older guys are lame as fuck.

I must be in a bad mood.*

*shocking

i hear a lot of sterling's HR calls on the dan patrick show (cause they clown on him)

but since arod has been on 599, espnradio has been cutting in to him and the whacky lady for arod's at bats. as big of a yankee fan as i am, i don't think i could listen to those two for a whole game, much less 162

i hear a lot of sterling's HR calls on the dan patrick show (cause they clown on him)

but since arod has been on 599, espnradio has been cutting in to him and the whacky lady for arod's at bats. as big of a yankee fan as i am, i don't think i could listen to those two for a whole game, much less 162

I've been a die-hard Yankee fan for over 30 years now and I can barely listen to more than an inning or two of their radio call. Luckily I have the extra innings package so it's a non-issue, but, yeah.

Transport, motorways and tramlines
Starting and then stopping
Taking off and landing
The emptiest of feelings
Disappointed people clinging on to bottles
And when it comes it's so so disappointing

Even though the Yanks didn't acquire someone at the Oswalt or Lee level, I'm pretty content with their moves. Added some quality, veteran depth to the offense....as for Wood, not thrilled that he's the reliever they wound up with but he might be worth the risk. And all these moves were made without giving up much of anything, which is the best part.

Oh, and, we're gonna lose tonight but will win tomorrow against the Rays.

The Oswalt trade, to me, doesn't address the Phillies' real problem: the bullpen. We do not have a single reliable arm in the bullpen. I would have been fine with J.A. Happ as a starter instead if it meant getting some bullpen help. Brad Lidge is done. Madson does very little. Contreras has fallen off big time. Romero's inconsistent. The rest are mop-up guys. We have nothing, and it is for that reason that we will not win.

Angels' Brandon Wood tries to stay upbeat - latimes.com

Angels' Brandon Wood tries to stay upbeat

Benched third baseman can only sit and watch while remaining hopeful that his hitting ability will return.

Angels management kept reinforcing Brandon Wood's confidence, rickety because of an awful slump, with positive messages.

But that didn't seem to work. Everyone was telling Wood, 25, once a coveted third base prospect, all kinds of things.

Messages clogged his mind. He couldn't concentrate. He over-thought. And his slump worsened.

So, thick in a pennant race, management could sit idly by no longer and, on July 23, made a move that reminded all that baseball is, at its core, a business:

The club traded for Alberto Callaspo of the Kansas City Royals to play third base. And Callaspo, who is batting .277, will be under the Angels' control through 2013.

Wood, who is batting .168, said he understands the move.

"I didn't do what I had to do to help the team," he said.

But because he is out of options, Wood can't be demoted to triple A to work on his game.

And the Angels are unlikely to trade him, which General Manager Tony Reagins confirmed the day of the Callaspo trade, noting, "We're not going to make any decisions and give up on Brandon Wood."

So Wood must sit there, third on the depth chart behind Callaspo and Maicer Izturis and watch from the bench, where he has been since Callaspo arrived.

"It's not a good position," Manager Mike Scioscia said. "Nobody feels good about it. And until we get to the point where Brandon can get the look he needs, we're going to have keep grinding this thing out."

Wood won the Angels' starting job at third base during spring training, the highlight of his season.

Since, he has searched for his lost swing, the one that made him seem so promising, but has yet to find it.

He searches before the game in the batting cage, pitch after pitch, trying to hit a few in a row just right. He searches again during the game, sometimes with one or two more cage visits.

When he goes home, he tries to leave baseball at the ballpark.

"It was tough for that first month and a half to come home and not think about baseball," he said.

Now, he'll watch a movie with his fiancee, his mind clear of the game, which is the opposite of what Torii Hunter said has hurt Wood the most: He can't leave baseball alone.

"He wants to do well so he'll listen to everybody," said the All-Star center fielder, "and you really can't do that."

It's as simple as the old line that too many chefs can spoil the broth. Wood realizes this now.

"Every day, I would come in and go, 'I gotta do this, I gotta do that,' and then I'm in the batter's box, facing somebody, and I've got five different steps I'm trying to go through to hit a 95-mile-an-hour fastball or adjust if it's a nasty slider," Wood said.

He has said he wants to be an Angel, and he believes now, his mind clearer, that he can simplify the messages and find his swing again.

"And once I figure it out, I've got a long time to play in the big leagues," he said.

baxter.holmes@latimes.com

c'mon man. bullet point that shit

as much as i like you and give you a hard time, i think it's time for a new name

any other prospects you can morph into?

I love doubleheaders. And it's been a good start to this one. I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but, with a successful series here, we can effectively knock the Tigers out of the race.

It's sad, but, I'm more relieved that it's over than anything else. Mostly so I don't have to listen to Michael Kay babble about it any longer.

No fan caught the ball, it landed in the netting by monument park. If a fan had caught it, the Yankees were prepared to give up an A-Rod autographed jersey, ball, hat and bat. If that did not work, they were then going to toss in lunch with A-Rod and Cameron Diaz. So very not tempting.

It's sad, but, I'm more relieved that it's over than anything else. Mostly so I don't have to listen to Michael Kay babble about it any longer.

No fan caught the ball, it landed in the netting by monument park. If a fan had caught it, the Yankees were prepared to give up an A-Rod autographed jersey, ball, hat and bat. If that did not work, they were then going to toss in lunch with A-Rod and Cameron Diaz. So very not tempting.

I'm at work and just watched on Yankees.com. The only person more irritating than Michael Kay is Suzyn Waldman. I know many Yankee fans and it's 100% that eveyone can't stand her. She is so awful and I end up listening to a lot of games because I'm usually stuck in traffic and I believe they could play her to Terrorist detainees and that voice and such inane comments would drive anyone to talk. She's pathetic

Congrats to Arod though and hopefully we'll get a win out of this too. :up:

No argument here. Not one person I know of has ever had anything positive to say about Waldman, and this is not exclusive to her doing games on radio, this encompasses her prior work as a reporter.

Congrats to A-Rod. I'm glad this is done and over it, hopefully the team will start playing better than in the past few games.

No argument here. Not one person I know of has ever had anything positive to say about Waldman, and this is not exclusive to her doing games on radio, this encompasses her prior work as a reporter.

Yeah, Waldman and Sterling are dreadful on the radio. I can barely listen to games in the car. Who thought that having a person with a hard Boston accent announcing Yankee games was a good idea? Sterling is too over-the-top for me as well.

Back
Top Bottom