MLB 2010 - The Second - B. Wood struck out swinging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"And Imperor wastes four hours and fifteen minutes of his life! Ha HA!"

gus-johnson-videos-schedule.jpg

Headache in a Suitcase said:
honestly the first two homers weren't bad pitches... especially the one that howard hit. that was a low 80's change that was tailing out of the zone.

it almost makes me think that johan might have been tipping his pitches... or less likely that the phillies were stealing signs.

they just seemed to know exactly what was coming. i dunno. even the great pitchers sometimes have a tell... fanning the glove or something when a changeup is coming vs. a fastball.

MLB says Phillies have been warned
DENVER

MLB tells Phillies to keep their eyes to themselves.

The Philadelphia Phillies have won back-to-back NL pennants and were World Champions in 2008.

They have a talented roster, but is there more to their success than talent?

Major League Baseball issued a warning to the Phillies on Tuesday concerning accusations that bullpen coach Mick Billmeyer was stealing signs during Monday night's game against the Colorado Rockies at Coors Field.

"We have looked at the video and talked to the Phillies about the actions of their bullpen coach,'' a Major League Baseball official told FOXSports.com.

"We found the evidence inconclusive on what was being done, but we have spoken to the Phillies about the situation, and the umpires have been told to be on full alert as to what is going on.''

The Rockies are the second team that's filed a complaint about the Phillies, according to a source close to the situation. It's believed the New York Mets made a similar accusation after the Phillies knocked around Mets left-hander Johan Santana.

The incident in Colorado was brought to light during the telecast of the Rockies-Phillies game on Monday night by FSN Rocky Mountain, which showed that with the Phillies hitting in the top of the second inning, Philadelphia bullpen coach Mick Billmeyer was using binoculars to look in at Rockies catcher Miguel Olivo.

The video also showed Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino in the dugout on the bullpen phone.

The Phillies claimed that Billmeyer was evaluating the Philadelphia catcher, according to a source, although the evidence wouldn't support that claim; Billmeyer was using the binoculars during the top of the second hitting, when the Phillies were hitting -- which means Miguel Olivo of the Rockies was the catcher.

the yankees just got porcello'd and wasted a pretty good outing from vazquez (7ip, 5h, 2er, 2bb, 7k)

I'm not quite sure how they would even acquire any useful information from some guy standing out in the blatant open with a set of binoculars, but believe what you want, I guess.

Oh, come on.

I don't know if the Phillies really were stealing signs with those binoculars, but you can't seriously believe that (1) binoculars couldn't be used to read the opposing catcher or that (2) any team is so righteous that they'd never consider doing so.

Oh, come on.

I don't know if the Phillies really were stealing signs with those binoculars, but you can't seriously believe that (1) binoculars couldn't be used to read the opposing catcher or that (2) any team is so righteous that they'd never consider doing so.
You could see the opposing catcher, but what good does that do you from 430 feet away? I thought most catchers changed their signs up regularly anyway, just for this reason.

i steal signs every time i watch a game on tv. the phillies shoulda just done that

You could see the opposing catcher, but what good does that do you from 430 feet away? I thought most catchers changed their signs up regularly anyway, just for this reason.

Signs can be filed away for use in a future inning. If the Phillies really wanted to pull out the stops, they could use electrical equipment to communicate the signs in real time, a la the 1951 Giants.

And yes, smart teams change their signs regularly, but there are some dumb teams out there who either don't change their signs enough or use easily deciphered signals (see: 2002 Oakland Raiders).

all i'm saying is those scumbag phillies looked like they knew exactly what pitches were coming, and now those same scumbag phillies have been caught spying on opposing catchers.

i'm not saying they're cheating... ok, maybe actually i am.

johan changed his windup after the phillie game because he, too, thought that the phillies knew what was coming and thought that he may have been tipping his pitches. he has used the same windup his entire career, and was so convinced that they knew what pitch was coming and when that he changed that windup out of fear that he was the one at fault.

and lastly... who cares. good on the phillies. but now they've been caught, and they should stop. and the next time victorino steps to the plate against johan with no runners on base santana should put a fastball right between the O and the R.

The Philadelphia Phillies have been one of the best teams in baseball over the last two seasons, capturing two straight National League pennants and the 2008 World Series. Now, they are dealing with accusations that they are, and have been, stealing signs with methods that violate baseball’s rules.

The Colorado Rockies accused the Phillies of using binoculars from the bullpen on Monday to gain an unfair advantage. On Wednesday, several people in baseball acknowledged that similar concerns were expressed by two of the Phillies’ opponents during last year’s postseason.

According to the people, who were directly involved in discussing the issue, the Los Angeles Dodgers told baseball officials during the National League Championship Series that they were concerned the Phillies were using video cameras to steal signs. The Yankees, whom the Phillies faced in the World Series, expressed similar concerns, as did the Mets in 2007.

Officials in the commissioner’s office looked into the accusations, reviewed tapes of Phillies games and found no evidence that they had broken rules.

The accusations of spying from the outfield are reminiscent of the sign-stealing scheme that is believed to have aided the New York Giants in their storied comeback to win the 1951 N.L. pennant.

In mid-August of that year, the Giants were far behind the Brooklyn Dodgers in the standings, but caught the Dodgers by the end of the season, and beat them in a playoff series on Bobby Thomson’s Shot Heard Round the World home run.

Decades later it was revealed that the Giants had situated members of the team 500 feet from home plate in the center-field clubhouse. From there, they peered through a telescope to spy on the opposing catcher’s signs and relayed the signals to Sal Yvars, a backup catcher in the Giants’ bullpen.

Yvars then used hand signals to alert the Giants’ batters.

The issue with the Phillies publicly resurfaced Monday when the Colorado Rockies accused the Phillies’ bullpen coach, Mick Billmeyer, of using binoculars to steal signs when the Phillies were hitting in the top of the second inning. Television cameras also captured Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino on the dugout phone during the inning.

Players, managers and coaches are allowed to try to steal signals, but they cannot use cameras, binoculars or any method beyond their eyes to do so.

On Tuesday, Bob Watson, Major League Baseball’s vice president for on-field operations, told the Phillies that Billmeyer could no longer use binoculars during games. A preliminary review of game tapes revealed nothing that led baseball officials to believe the Phillies had used the binoculars to steal signs.

Victorino told reporters in Colorado that he was calling Billmeyer in the bullpen to tell him to put the binoculars away. He said that the crew chief, Jerry Crawford, had just talked to Manager Charlie Manuel.

“I actually told him: ‘Mick, you just got kicked out of the game. Jerry just talked to Charlie and said somebody complained,’ “ Victorino said. “ ‘You’ve got to come off the field.’ He said, ‘No, no, no.’ I was like, ‘No, I’m just kidding.’ But that’s why I called down.”

Manuel said he did not know anything about it.

“Mick watches Ruiz catch,” Manuel said, referring to Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz, who could not have been catching in the top of the second inning because the Phillies were hitting. “That’s what it was”

“We took care of it,” Manuel said. “I can understand why they’d be concerned about it, but at the same time, that’s the truth. That’s what happened.”

Manuel tried to deflect attention from the Phillies and toward the Mets, saying, “Their home record is out of this world and they’re losing on the road.”

He added: “That’s a good indication sometimes, if you want to know about signs. When I see somebody 17-2 at home and 4-12 on the road, I kind of get concerned about that. That kind of crosses my mind.”

Actually, the Mets are 14-8 at home and 4-8 on the road. After they lost at home to the Washington Nationals on Wednesday, Manager Jerry Manuel laughed when asked about Charlie Manuel’s comments.

“Tell Charlie our bullpen is a little far and we have a few things” in the way, Manuel said of Citi Field’s layout.

Mets starter Mike Pelfrey said that the Phillies had a reputation for stealing signs and that he heard from players who played for the Phillies that they stole signs. He did not say whether they stole signs using their eyes or cameras.

Both Pelfrey and Johan Santana were hit hard by the Phillies in back-to-back games at Citizens Bank Park early this month.

Mets catcher Rod Barajas, who played for the Phillies in 2007,said some teammates were suspicious during the game in which Santana was pounded.

“Some people were talking, amongst us, the bullpen coach would come out and hang over the fence when they were hitting,” he said, according to The Associated Press. “And somebody said — I didn’t notice it — but somebody said he came over and hung over the fence while they were hitting for the first couple innings and then when we were hitting they were sitting back.”

At least I didn't get tazered.

Alright, here's the thing. The only people who run onto that patch of grass trying to catch a home run ball are children. That dude is undoubtedly flipping off children. This is behavior you'd expect out of someone from Houston, but not a Metroplexual. No wonder everyone hates this state so much.

Oh, come on.

And did you apply the same logic to the '07 Patriots? :wink:

-------------------
Wood on the pine

Third baseman Brandon Wood, in a 3-for-30 slump that dropped his average from .197 on May 1 to .168, didn't start Wednesday, and he may not return on Friday.

"Yeah," Scioscia said, when asked whether Wood could get more than one game off. "With a young player, at times, you might have to peel him back and let him not pick up a bat for a day. Try to get rid of some of the pressing and the anxiety.
-------------------

Scioscia's giving me a blow for a couple of games. Dude loves me and I'll be back gettin' my reps in a few days. :wave:

Back
Top Bottom