MLB 2010 - The First

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use "soda" and "pop" interchangeably.

And Jimmies are gross, on donuts, cookies or ice cream.

Yankees
Rays (WC)
Twins
Rangers

Phillies
Cardinals
Dodgers
Rockies (WC)

We have an amazing infield.

1b Kendry Morales - For the next several years will do what Vlad did for us.

2b Howie Kendrick - Will have seasons where he'll hit .320

ss Erick Aybar - Already one of the best defensive shortstops in the league, and he can hit.

3b Brandon Wood - Angels' top prospect; should mash this season. Prediction: 20 hr's, 80 rbi's.

Add to that our catching tandem of Napoli and Mathis, and we're looking damn good. And every single player mentioned above is home grown. :)

Morales > Davis

Kendrick < Kins

Aybar = Elvis

Dick Wood <<<<<<<<<<<< Michael Young

Hmm........

QFT, and I'm looking at Impy on this one. Your home state won't even let me be content in finally having become used to saying "soda". No, now they want me to fucking call it "coke". Well it's just not happening. Dr. Pepper is not now, nor (hopefully) will it ever be, owned by the Coca-Cola company. :rant:.

Not being a soft drink drinker, the fact that I call them all "sodas" isn't worth a lot. The folks I know who do drink them, however, usually call them by their names, and I rarely hear people refer to all soft drinks as "cokes." Kids like to be specific here, I guess. And regardless, calling a Dr Pepper anything but its given name is blasphemy. Especially a Dublin Dr Pepper.

Sometimes I miss drinking sodas, but I'm at the point now where I can't even finish half a can.

One of the last things I ever do while in Texas will be to go to Dublin. Just a few more weeks and my friend and I are headed down there.

I should probably hit a Rangers game as well. There's no excuse for my having never been to the Ballpark in Arlington.

We have an amazing infield.

1b Kendry Morales - For the next several years will do what Vlad did for us.

2b Howie Kendrick - Will have seasons where he'll hit .320

ss Erick Aybar - Already one of the best defensive shortstops in the league, and he can hit.

3b Brandon Wood - Angels' top prospect; should mash this season. Prediction: 20 hr's, 80 rbi's.

Add to that our catching tandem of Napoli and Mathis, and we're looking damn good. And every single player mentioned above is home grown. :)

i'm surprised you didn't say:

3b Brandon Wood - Angels' top prospect; should mash this season. Prediction: 68 hr's, 175 rbi's

:lol:

pepsi_keep_safe_can.jpg

Pop.

Tonic. :D

I'm from Chicago, and I feel like an idiot for saying "pop" for the first 20 years of my life.

Thank the gods I was able to shake that regional habit.

But yeah, saying "Coke" for everything is even worse. What kind of brain dead fog are those people living in?

The day I switched from "pop" to "soda" was the day I was in a Subway in Alabama and ordered a large pop with my sandwich. The little 15 yr-old girl behind the counter made a fist, shook it a me, and said, "I've got a 'pop' for you! You're obviously not from around here." :lol:

I highly recommend everyone take their language habits from 15 yr-old Alabaman girls.

I should probably hit a Rangers game as well. There's no excuse for my having never been to the Ballpark in Arlington.

You really ought to. All bias aside, it really is a gorgeous park. And it's better to hit it up in April or early May before it gets to be one of those steamy 101 degree nights. Just get some grandstand tickets for six bucks and go to any of the 125-115 sections. You'll be on the lower level and underneath the canopy, where they never check your tickets. Been doing that ever since I gave up my season tickets in 119.

I use "soda" and "pop" interchangeably.

Same here, though "pop" is more natural, being Midwestern and all. Plus, the can makes a fucking popping noise when you crack it; it doesn't make a "soda" noise. Also, anybody who calls a water fountain a "bubbler" is insane, as it clearly does not bubble in any sense of the word. Unless it's broken and sputtering water, but that doesn't count.

Um...and in baseball news, Target Field finally opened today for an exhibition game (too bad we lost...). I'm considering grabbing a ticket for the game tomorrow afternoon, since they're still available as of now.

You really ought to. All bias aside, it really is a gorgeous park. And it's better to hit it up in April or early May before it gets to be one of those steamy 101 degree nights. Just get some grandstand tickets for six bucks and go to any of the 125-115 sections. You'll be on the lower level and underneath the canopy, where they never check your tickets. Been doing that ever since I gave up my season tickets in 119.

Yeah, I'm gonna get my friend to go with me. This sounds like a good time all around.

So, TCU playing their home series against SDSU, so that means Tony Gywnn's in town. My attempt today to get to the ballpark before the team left ended in failure, so I'll try again tomorrow (I am in the studio filming the games for TV so I can't go over there until the game has ended). I still have my ball from last year's game when Stephen Strasburg pitched (though he wasn't the one who gave up that particular home run) and I'm hoping to get Gwynn to sign it. He is such a sweet guy, sticks around for a while after the games signing autographs. Hell, maybe SDSU will win tomorrow, then I'll feel like less of an ass walking up to him in my purple shirt after my school swept his.

To sum up...the proper terms are soda, water fountain, sprinkles (or shots), jimmies = trojans ha...oh and let me tell you about the funny looks I get when I order a grinder anywhere south or west of CT.

you could get away with ordering a grinder at a few places here.

Also, anybody who calls a water fountain a "bubbler" is insane, as it clearly does not bubble in any sense of the word. Unless it's broken and sputtering water, but that doesn't count.

I've heard for years that using "bubbler" is a Milwaukee/southern Wisconsin thing, but have no idea if that's actually true.

The only person I ever heard say "woarsh" was from Arkansas. No one I knew in Milwaukee pronounced it that way.

I've heard for years that using "bubbler" is a Milwaukee/southern Wisconsin thing, but have no idea if that's actually true.

The only time I ever heard "bubbler" was from a guy I worked with from St. Thomas, who grew up in Trinidad. Otherwise never until this thread.

you could get away with ordering a grinder at a few places here.

Yeah? I forget sometimes down here and say "grinder" and I get the oddest looks...once the girl looked at me a little dubiously and went "you mean a wrap?" Then I remembered and called it a sub, problem solved.

It extends up to the Oshkosh/Door County area, but it's definitely an eastern Wisconsin thing. I'm from the La Crosse area, so the far western side, and we say "water fountain."

Morales > Davis

Kendrick < Kins

Aybar = Elvis

Brandon Wood <<<<<<<<<<<< Michael Young

Hmm........

How do you figure Aybar = Elvis?

Aybar: 137 games .285/.324/.383/.707 5HR 58RBI 14SB
Andrus: 145 games .267/.329/.373/.702 6HR 40RBI 33SB

Aybar gives you more RBI; Elvis more stolen bases. But here's the thing: Elvis is not as good a defensive shortstop as Aybar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom