MLB 2010 - The First

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if I want Texas or Seattle out west. But fuck the Angels, seriously. I had no ill will towards them, but Lackey/Wood has made me loathe the shit out of them. That and the whole "LA" thing. I always root against LA.

Kind of weak? Ichiro is great obviously. Gutierrez is improving and his glove is worth the fact that he cannot hit a RHP to save his life - metrically speaking he was easily the most valuable defender in the entire league last year and at a premium position. Bradley is a good all around hitter but injury prone and playing in Safeco isn't going to do him any favors.

After that, what is there? Figgins? Jack Wilson? Kotchman? Griffey? Yikes. Did they clear out a position for a nice over-the-hill platoon for Griffey and Sweeney? The new position of chemistry. Let me know when Jose Lopez can walk.

As for the Rays, I'd expect the 2008 version. There's too much talent there and their players are continuing to develop. They should have some stability in their bullpen too with Soriano in the back end, and that was their main problem last year. Upton will be much better too. I fully expect the Rays to make the playoffs and leave one of the Red Sox and Yankees out of it.

Kind of weak? Ichiro is great obviously. Gutierrez is improving and his glove is worth the fact that he cannot hit a RHP to save his life - metrically speaking he was easily the most valuable defender in the entire league last year and at a premium position. Bradley is a good all around hitter but injury prone and playing in Safeco isn't going to do him any favors.

After that, what is there? Figgins? Jack Wilson? Kotchman? Griffey? Yikes. Did they clear out a position for a nice over-the-hill platoon for Griffey and Sweeney? The new position of chemistry. Let me know when Jose Lopez can walk.

What's wrong with Figgins? And when Jack Wilson is healthy, he's one of the top defending short-stops in the game. Kotchman's defense is waaaaay above average, too.... A run saved is worth a run scored.

If this is the last time I read the phrase "metrically speaking" in a baseball discussion, I will die a happy man.

What's wrong with Figgins? And when Jack Wilson is healthy, he's one of the top defending short-stops in the game. Kotchman's defense is waaaaay above average, too.... A run saved is worth a run scored.

Right, they are good defenders, but they don't hit. At 1B, you don't really need somebody to have way above average D- especially when you have very good/great defenders at most other positions.

What's wrong with Figgins? He's a pretty solid ball player overall. He's versatile which is nice, but his career slugging is .388. Career OPS .751. That's not a ton of overall production. He'll steal lots of bases yeah, and he's a pretty good spark plug overall, but where is the power going to come from in this lineup?

A run saved is as good as a run scored, true to an extent, but is the amount of runs saved Kotchman gives you at 1B over and average/below average defender worth more than an above average offensive 1B on the offensive side? At 1B, I'd argue probably not. As injury prone as he is, somebody like Nick Johnson would have done the Mariners a lot of good. Not signing Jason Bay was a very smart move, he's definitely not going to be worth the money he got at the latter half of that contract.

Brew crew

I'm a Brewers fan. Love the team, but expectations will be kept low, as they always are. :sigh: Our starting pitching is still largely crap. And aside from Braun and Fielder, there are too many questionable bats.

I'm a Brewers fan. Love the team, but expectations will be kept low, as they always are. :sigh: Our starting pitching is still largely crap. And aside from Braun and Fielder, there are too many questionable bats.

:up:

yep. that's why i go into every Brewer season with that same attitude. until baseball comes up with some kind of salary cap, i'll never get too wrapped up in a baseball season. it's fun to watch though and i love cheering on the BrewCrew!

:up:

yep. that's why i go into every Brewer season with that same attitude. until baseball comes up with some kind of salary cap, i'll never get too wrapped up in a baseball season. it's fun to watch though and i love cheering on the BrewCrew!

I can't wait to host the Brewers at Target Field in May. I like Brewers fans much more than Packers fans.

Half of my clients are in Wisconsin, so it's fun to take some of them to a Twins game for some friendly rivalry (and lots of drinking).

I root for the Mariners as a current Seattlite, but will always also root for the Brewers as a native Wisconsonian.

Sausage races, Bernie Brewer, Roll Out the Barrel .... what's not to love?

I root for the Mariners as a current Seattlite, but will always also root for the Brewers as a native Wisconsonian.

I will forever remember Rollie Fingers because of the Brewers.

Great name. Greater moustache.

0316_large.jpg

I can't wait to host the Brewers at Target Field in May. I like Brewers fans much more than Packers fans.

I'm sure that the Crew is more than grateful to not have to play in the Metrodome anymore! I remember my uncle's best friend (former Brewer catcher) mentioning how the ceilng, turf, overall dynamic of being indoors, etc. would always cause problems for everyone -- especially the outfielders. Of course, the Brewers then proceeded to get run over like a truck when they came to Minneapolis last year.

I"m going this summer to see one of the games vs. the Cubs in June. I am quite excited to finally see Miller Park.

Every once in awhile even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

Need I remind you?.......

Full Name: Richard Brandon Wood
Born: 03/02/1985
Birthplace: Austin, TX
Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 210
Bats: R
Throws: R

Biography:
Selected in the first round (23rd) of the 2003 draft...Attended Horizon HS (Scottsdale, AZ)...Originally signed by Angels' scout Jeff Scholzen...Named The Sporting News' Minor League Baseball Player of the Year in 2005...Awarded 2005 Topps California League Player of Year and Minor League Baseball Round-Tripper Award (for most HR)...Named Angels' Organization's Co-Player of Year and California League MVP in 2005...Selected to play in MLB Futures Game (U.S. Team) at 2005 All-Star Game....2005 California League All-Star Game...Set new Angels' franchise and California League single season record with 43 HR in 2005 (Dick Simpson, 42, 1962, San Jose)...His 53 doubles, 370 total bases and 101 extra-base hits are also new Angels' minor league marks...Named to 2005 Regional Olympic Qualifying Team team (.238, 1 HR, 4 RBI)...Played for Scottsdale Scorpions in Arizona Fall League, hitting .307 with league-leading 32 RBI and AFL record 14 home runs...Rated as Angels' top prospect for 2006 by Baseball America.

Highlights:
Spent most of the season with the Triple-A Salt Lake Bees of the Pacific Coast League, played in 55 games for the Major League Angels. ... Had four home runs and six RBIs over three games for Salt Lake between April 10 and April 12. ... Doubled twice, homered, scored twice and collected four RBIs for Salt Lake on April 21. ... Homered in the Majors vs. Royals on May 5. ... Between two games on June 23 and June 24 for Rancho Cucamonga, homered twice, collected five RBIs, tripled and scored four runs while going 6-for-11. ... Went 3-for-4 vs. the Rangers in the Majors on August 31. ... Homered twice and knocked in three runs vs. the Yankees at the Major League level on September 8.
Batted .276 with 25 homers, 83 RBIs, 74 runs scored and 19 stolen bases in 118 games with Arkansas. He was first in the Texas league in extra base-hits (71), second in doubles (42), third in slugging percentage (.552) and fifth in home runs.

Awards/Honors:
07/15/2009 PCL Mid-Season All-Star
10/02/2008 Baseball America Triple-A All-Star
08/25/2008 PCL Post-Season All-Star
09/22/2006 Baseball America Double-A All-Star
08/28/2006 TEX Post-Season All-Star
07/02/2006 TEX Player of the Week
06/20/2006 TEX Mid-Season All-Star
11/15/2005 MLB.com Minor League Offensive Player of the Year
11/15/2005 MLB.com Class A Offensive Player of the Year
11/11/2005 AFL All-Prospect Team
10/16/2005 AFL Player of the Week