MLB 2009 Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
way to go, mo. 6 pitches, 2 outs yesterday. 8 pitches, 3 outs today. keep up the good work...

Brad Lidge had to lose the World Series. It was the only fitting way for this season to end.

I thought that until Posada gapped one too. Lidge was going to give up a hit to anyone at that point.

Did anyone see that little round band-aid on Manuel's chin? I didn't know it was possibly for him to look like any more of a doofus.

And one could argue, Peef, that A-Rod opened the floodgates that allowed Posada to get the best of Lidge. Perhaps if he had pitched around the powerhouse, he would have had more confidence in disposing of the catcher.

If you asked me in 2007, I guarantee I'd have blamed Manuel for all of it. I guess that watching him prove me wrong for two years and just nail every move has made me much more unlikely to put blame on him.

For a second I was feeling really good about your chances, but then I forgot about the 2-3-2 format. Because Cliff Lee should be a lock regardless, and Pedro pitching back in Philly would be preferable.

Right now, you have to hope that Petite struggles on short rest in Game 6 and Pedro can keep it close again (he should still feel confident after that last outing), and then maybe the same thing happens to Sabathia pitching for the second time this series on short rest for Game 7. I suspect the Phils would be able to get to him at that point. Of course, they have to pitch someone too, and that's where the problem might lie.

I like the Phils' chances if there's a Game 7. The problem is getting there. I'm not even sure about tonight; a loss like that can do wonders on the psyche of an offense.

I like the Phils' chances if there's a Game 7. The problem is getting there. I'm not even sure about tonight; a loss like that can do wonders on the psyche of an offense.

I really don't understand how you could like the Phils' chances in a Game 7. The Yankees have an amazing home record this year plus they've got all of them walk-offs. But, there will be no need to debate this because I highly doubt there will be a Game 7 or even a Game 6 for that matter.

Jimmy Rollins should have never predicted Phils in 5 or Phils in 6. He should have never made any predictions. He should have just gone out and played ball.

Cliff Lee pitched the game of his life last time out. He will have to do that again tonight for the Phils to have a chance. AJ Burnett also pitched the game of his life the last time he started. I don't expect him to do the same tonight, but if he can get 6-7 steady innings, the Yanks should be in good shape.

I really don't understand how you could like the Phils' chances in a Game 7. The Yankees have an amazing home record this year plus they've got all of them walk-offs. But, there will be no need to debate this because I highly doubt there will be a Game 7 or even a Game 6 for that matter.

Jimmy Rollins should have never predicted Phils in 5 or Phils in 6. He should have never made any predictions. He should have just gone out and played ball.

Cliff Lee pitched the game of his life last time out. He will have to do that again tonight for the Phils to have a chance. AJ Burnett also pitched the game of his life the last time he started. I don't expect him to do the same tonight, but if he can get 6-7 steady innings, the Yanks should be in good shape.

Because if they're in a game seven, they've won two in a row and have all the momentum.

Good point, and I don't know how one can say "I doubt there will be a Game 6". Though both pitchers did great in their last starts, Lee's was more impressive than Burnett's, and since Lee is at home one would have to give him the edge.

The Phils COULD lose tonight, but they have the edge and should win the last home game. Then you have Game 6, which will heavily favor New York.

Is Girardi making a crucial mistake by continuing with all of the Yankee's starters on short rest to the end? Should he have played Gaudin against Lee, keeping AJ for Game 6 and CC/Petitte on the bullpen for Game 7?

I'd be really tempted just to punt game 5 by pitching Gaudin, then have Burnett and Pettitte on extra/normal rest for games 6 and 7 (and CC in the bullpen if necessary). If Cliff Lee pitches another masterpiece and Burnett gets shelled in, say, the fourth or fifth inning, then they have to go with either Pettitte on short rest or Gaudin in game 6.

Is Girardi making a crucial mistake by continuing with all of the Yankee's starters on short rest to the end? Should he have played Gaudin against Lee, keeping AJ for Game 6 and CC/Petitte on the bullpen for Game 7?

Early returns say yes, Phils got to face Hyde Burnett tonight.

I'd be really tempted just to punt game 5 by pitching Gaudin, then have Burnett and Pettitte on extra/normal rest for games 6 and 7 (and CC in the bullpen if necessary). If Cliff Lee pitches another masterpiece and Burnett gets shelled in, say, the fourth or fifth inning, then they have to go with either Pettitte on short rest or Gaudin in game 6.

I am awesome.

My husband said that when he arrived in Philadelphia everyone was wearing their Phillies caps. That was on Friday. Tonight he said he saw maybe three guys in town wearing their caps. Everyone was a little subdued. :(

Wow. That's really disappointing.

Were they really just playing the sad piano tune from the Incredible Hulk TV show when Coke got yanked? AWESOME.

The hits. Just. Keep. On. Coming.

I'm surprised that the record for World Series homers was only 5. I would have pegged The Babe for 7 at some point.

Speaking of pegging the babe, why aren't there ever any crowd shots of Minka Kelly? Forget Kate Hudson.

And just when I started to wonder why Clifford is still in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom