MLB 2009 Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think the Angels under Arte's ownership would have put the "Anaheim" in "LAA" if they weren't contractually required to do so? Yeah, the answer would be "no."

"Los Angeles" is a brand that plays better (or more accurately "broader") with advertisers than does "Anaheim." It has nothing to do with whether or not Joe Schmoe who lives just off of Pico Blvd. "hates" Orange County.

Meh. The name change whining is so trivial, so ridiculously parochial.

How does it work better with advertisers? Explain it to me. People who want the merchandise know where the team plays. If they know enough to buy the shit, it obviously doesn't matter. And I don't understand how the attitudes of companies buying radio or TV airtime during broadcasts, or ad space at the park are affected. They don't know the territory being represented? Those would be some pretty uninformed people.

Kind of like NYC and Newark are the same city right? :wink:

never put us in the same conversation again :mad:

but yes, i actually would consider Newark part of the New York City Metropolitan area... much like i would consider Anaheim part of the LA metro area, and san francisco and oakland are obviously both part of the bay area.

so to answer your question...

YouTube - "yeah no" south park margarita ville

How does it work better with advertisers? Explain it to me. People who want the merchandise know where the team plays. If they know enough to buy the shit, it obviously doesn't matter. And I don't understand how the attitudes of companies buying radio or TV airtime during broadcasts, or ad space at the park are affected. They don't know the territory being represented? Those would be some pretty uninformed people.

:shrug: why do you think the giants and jets didn't change to "jersey" and the islanders are the new york islanders and not the long island islanders or the uniondale islanders?

why do you think the nets want to move to brooklyn?

The thing is, the team had already changed to the more general California Angels when they moved from Los Angeles proper down to Anaheim. And yes, Disney changed it to Anaheim when they purchased the team. But then they won a World Series! Isn't that enough prestige to be able to stick with what they have? And they why not revert back to the California Angels name? Isn't that an even BIGGER market?

Also, I can understand why an organization wouldn't want to associate themselves with New Jersey. Anaheim has a more neutral connotation with people, no? More importantly, Anaheim is nearly 40 MILES away from Los Angeles. Quite a different distance there.

By the same argument, one could say that Hamels is due to break out of this funk.

Hold up. Thome got a hit? I wasn't watching, can someone tell me what it was? Hard hit liner to right? Little bloop shot maybe? Opposite field dribbler? I'll give 10 bucks to the first person who can tell me. And 25 to the first who can provide video.

That was a nightmarish game. I don't have a way to react to Utley fucking up like that. He's the only guy on the team I lack the ability to take issue with. My head hurts from this game.

Wow. I was following the game via gamecast until the bottom of the 8th, those announcers are horrid.

However, I'd like to thank Charlie Manuel for that Dodger victory. Why he decided to take out Pedro is beyond me.

I didn't see the game, so I only have the box score to go on...87 pitches, 57 strikes, 7-2-0-0-0-3-0...taking Pedro out there is indeed puzzling. Did Pedro look like he was losing it at all?

In the Grady Little game, you could tell that Pedro was running out of gas (gave up a HR in the 7th inning, and was grooving his fastball the entire 8th inning).

Hey John, do your boys realize that the Red Sox series wasn't the World Series?

I need to butt in. Sorry.

We booked a nice, early November vacation to Philadelphia for my husband. He wanted to see an exhibit at the Art Museum.

Understandably, the League Championship Series are kind of a big deal here in SoCal, but it only occurred to me today that he's going to be in Philly during the World Series, and that may include Philadelphia.

So, how much of a chance do the Phillies have? Do I need to give my beloved a crash course in baseball language? He knows there are nine innings, and extra innings are a possibility, but after that, he's lost. :)

(Fortunately, the airfare and hotel are already paid for, and at cheap rates.)

Philly is roughly even money to make it to the World Series, but the only games they'd be hosting would be Games 4 and 5 on November 1 and 2.

EDIT: Actually, Pinnacle Sports gives Philly about a 55% chance of making it to the World Series.

I need to butt in. Sorry.

We booked a nice, early November vacation to Philadelphia for my husband. He wanted to see an exhibit at the Art Museum.

Understandably, the League Championship Series are kind of a big deal here in SoCal, but it only occurred to me today that he's going to be in Philly during the World Series, and that may include Philadelphia.

So, how much of a chance do the Phillies have? Do I need to give my beloved a crash course in baseball language? He knows there are nine innings, and extra innings are a possibility, but after that, he's lost. :)

(Fortunately, the airfare and hotel are already paid for, and at cheap rates.)

Philly has the advantage in the series right now because they'll be playing their next three games at home. The series is tied at 1 game a piece, though, with the potential games 6 and 7 in Los Angeles. So it might come down to the wire.

I guess what I'm saying is, yes, there's a damn good chance that Philly will be in the World Series when you and your man are down there. Make sure he knows at least the names of a few key players:

PhillyFan26
John Lackey
Chase Utley
Derek Jeter
Jimmy Rollins

This way he'll be able to converse with the locals by substituting any of the above names into the sentence - "How about _____ last night?"

Thanks guys. He'll be on his own; that's why I need to coach him on what to say. He'll be in town on the two days Philly will (may) host.

I'm hoping for a Freeway World Series of course, with the Dodgers getting their asses handed to them by the CALIFORNIA Angels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom