MLB '08 - Down The Stretch Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Kerry or Marmol come in just once and not let a run go. Jesus Christ, we won and I'm still pissed off :lol:

I love the squirming that Cubs fans have started doing these last two weeks. It makes the end of the season all the more fun for me.

Un-fucking believable. There was a recent editorial on ESPN.com about rewriting the save rules, and how relievers get too much credit. Tonight is a perfect example. Wood comes in with a 3-run lead, gives up a 2-run homer before finishing the game, and gets credit for a save. FUCK THAT.

If the Cubs' bats are hot in the playoffs, it might not matter. And compared to the problems of other teams, there's worse places to be in. But this is still weak.

Anyway, Magic Number is now 13, and looks like the Dodgers are going to be up 3.5 games by the end of the night. The Cubs are going to have a much easier first round than expected.

Anyway, Magic Number is now 13, and looks like the Dodgers are going to be up 3.5 games by the end of the night. The Cubs are going to have a much easier first round than expected.

I think you'd want the Cubs to face the Diamondbacks, not the surging LA Mannies...that's a first round exit and 101 years waiting to happen.

as opposed to the squirming white sox fans are doing? :wink:

Us White Sox fans, we keep it cool and under control. We're always cool. Billy Dee Williams cool.

billydeesign.jpg

Works every time, baby!

The Red Sox really blew their chance to take control of the division. They should have won those last two games.

And now they face the worst team for them this year. I think it's gonna be the wild card when all is said and done.

the astros actually have a legit chance of sneaking into the wild card... if they can do well against the cubs this weekend, the remainder of their schedule is absolute cake.

let's say the phillies and brewers split this weekend, and the astros take 2 of 3 from chicago. houston would be 4 our with florida, cincinatti and atlanta twice left on the schedule, while the brew-crew would still have 6 games left with chicago. the phillies schedule is equaly cake after the brewers series.

imagine we're sitting here in a few weeks and the phillies and astros are playing a 1-game playoff for the wild card while the brewers are home playing golf, drinking miller lite and eating cheese?

how bad have the mets, historicly, been with position players? jose reyes is already the team's all time leading base stealer, breaking mookie wilson's mark last night, and david wright should become the team's all time homerun leader sometime mid next season, passing that legend of the game dave kingman's mark of 154. both players are in their mid 20's and will own every major offensive record the mets have before they turn 30.

*edit - i take that back... kingman is 4th with 154. strawberry is #1 with 252. still a kinda sad list...

1. Darryl Strawberry 252
2. Mike Piazza 220
3. Howard Johnson 192
4. Dave Kingman 154
5. David Wright 125
6. Todd Hundley 124
7. Kevin McReynolds 122
8. Edgardo Alfonzo 120
9. Ed Kranepool 118
10. Carlos Beltran 113
11. George Foster 99
12. Carlos Delgado 97
13. Bobby Bonilla 95
14. John Milner 94
15. Cleon Jones 93

how bad have the mets, historicly, been with position players? jose reyes is already the team's all time leading base stealer, breaking mookie wilson's mark last night, and david wright should become the team's all time homerun leader sometime mid next season, passing that legend of the game dave kingman's mark of 154. both players are in their mid 20's and will own every major offensive record the mets have before they turn 30.

*edit - i take that back... kingman is 4th with 154. strawberry is #1 with 252. still a kinda sad list...

1. Darryl Strawberry 252
2. Mike Piazza 220
3. Howard Johnson 192
4. Dave Kingman 154
5. David Wright 125
6. Todd Hundley 124
7. Kevin McReynolds 122
8. Edgardo Alfonzo 120
9. Ed Kranepool 118
10. Carlos Beltran 113
11. George Foster 99
12. Carlos Delgado 97
13. Bobby Bonilla 95
14. John Milner 94
15. Cleon Jones 93

In your team's defense, you have only been around for just over 45 years. Actually, you're right, that's still a disappointing list. Straw should have been a Met 4 lyfe and hit 500 dingers. George Foster almost being in the Top Ten is scary.

But, you've had your share of great pitchers, at least. You had the best righthanded pitcher* of all-time on your team, that's saying something.

*IMO

I think you'd want the Cubs to face the Diamondbacks, not the surging LA Mannies...that's a first round exit and 101 years waiting to happen.

Not so sure. Yes, the Dodgers are hotter right now. And the D-Backs pitchers aren't playing to their abilities. But come playoff time, who knows? I sure as hell don't want to go up against Webb or Haren. These guys were just there last year. The Dodgers just don't measure up offensively or defensively, assuming the Cubs are actually playing like they're supposed to once the playoffs start.

As a Dodger fan, I'd love to see them make in it. And it's a shame they won't be facing anyone else. They really don't have what it takes to go very far, though.

Seaver, Ryan, Gooden, or Pedro?

seaver's the greatest pitcher in mets history... ryan was mostly a bullpen guy before he was stupidly traded. gooden was amazing but burned out too quick. pedro's a shell of his former self.

pedro may be better than seaver all time, but you can debate it.

santana could become the best mets starter of all time, but he'd have to win a couple of cy youngs along the way and be lights out for the length of his contract to compare with seaver.

Seaver has 3 Cy Youngs, 311 wins, 3600 strikeouts, and a 2.86 average.

Pedro also has 3 Cy Youngs, 214 wins, and 3100 strikeouts, and obviously is not done pitching yet. And he pitched in the American League (in the AL East, no less) for 6 years, which is considered tougher than pitching in the National League.

He's also #2 in all-time winning percentage (was in the #1 spot not too long ago) and aside from Don Gullett (who only pitched 150 games) is the only post 60's player in the Top 10 of that list.

I think he's clearly better than Seaver in terms of All-Time, even if Seaver's glory days make him the best Mets pitcher.

Seaver has 3 Cy Youngs, 311 wins, 3600 strikeouts, and a 2.86 average.

Pedro also has 3 Cy Youngs, 214 wins, and 3100 strikeouts, and obviously is not done pitching yet. And he pitched in the American League (in the AL East, no less) for 6 years, which is considered tougher than pitching in the National League.

He's also #2 in all-time winning percentage (was in the #1 spot not too long ago) and aside from Don Gullett (who only pitched 150 games) is the only post 60's player in the Top 10 of that list.

I think he's clearly better than Seaver in terms of All-Time, even if Seaver's glory days make him the best Mets pitcher.

Clear to you, not to me. I take Seaver. And I love Pedro to death, but, if we're talking the span of a career, Seaver's the guy.

Since Cy Youngs were brought up, might as well mention that Seaver is a 12-time All-Star, 8 for Pedro.

Pete's winning % is amazing, obviously, but Seaver pitched for some pathetic teams, so, who knows what his winning %, and by extension, total # of wins would have been if he spent 6 seasons pitching for that Sox team. Also, Seaver's winning % is .603, so it's not like he's a slouch in this department. Career K's mean little to me, else we'd make Nolan Ryan the greatest righthander of all. And, again, Seaver is above 3,000 anyway, which is rarefied air.

You neglected to mention that Seaver tossed 231 complete games en route to over 4,700 career innings pitched. This was one durable sonofabitch and that matters. Pedro's at 46 complete games and 2,700 innings pitched. Pedro has gone over 200 innings 7 times, 16 for Seaver, and that includes doing it at age 40. And lest someone mention 4 vs 5 man rotations, Seaver averaged 33 starts per year, Pedro is at 31, so, Seaver spent the bulk of his career with a 5-man staff.

Seaver did spend 3 years in the AL, FYI. I witnessed his 300th win at Yankee Stadium, as it turns out. On Phil Rizzuto day, no less.

Here's a stat, though, in Pedro's favor that is more important than anything you specifically cited: Pedro's career 2.89 era is a fucking whopping 1.6 runs less per game than the league's era over the same period of time. For Seaver, it's .8. Again, that .8 is good, but 1.6 is simply amazing.

Look, they're both fucking awesome, but, I'd go with Seaver...and while I'd certainly understand if someone went with Pedro, I don't know how anyone could say that it's "clear". That's just silly.

How does that 6-run sandwich taste, GAF?

Your buddy Floyd should have quit while he was ahead.

It tastes delicious. Floyd pitched brilliantly for 7 innings. We just couldn't get anything going offensively. That fucker Shawn Marcum is a damn good pitcher, at least against us. He's got the strong change-up, which we seem to struggle against.

I hope all the Chicago teams melt the fuck down and somehow miss the playoffs. Then all of you, and my coworkers, can shut the fuck up.

What? Am I bitter over the Yankee season ending a month ago? No, not at all, why do you even ask. :)

In all seriousness, I very much want the Cubs to do well, and hope the White Sox sink like a fucking rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom