Michael Jackson to get his own Vegas gig ala Celine Dion and Prince?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Michael Jackson is back in the states, and rumors have been going around heavily in the past week that he is currently in talks/negotiating to have his own long-term gig on the Vegas strip.

Thoughts?

It's where strange/eccentric stars go to die these days so it makes sense to me. Michael has already showed us he enjoys living in a fairytale land and living out of a hotel room, so Vegas would probably be a perfect fit for the guy.

I think it's the most ccurate thing that Michael could do now.
Maybe release a new album ti clear up things a little and make his show like Celine Dion and Prince are making, in a standing place.
I'm sure it'd be full everyday and it would be a good way to make Michael get out of the dark.

namkcuR said:
Why "ew"? What's so bad about it?

My "ew" is for Michael Jackson, who is just a whole lot of "ew" (albeit with a lot of great songs in his past).

I actually don't have much of an opinion on performers doing the Vegas thing. I'd love to see Prince. :drool:

It might his only viable music industry option at the moment.

I'm sure the Vegas promoters are playing with their cards close to their chest. They may only announces new shows as opening dates sell out.

i live here and actually just found out that prince is now performing on a regular basis. i'm thinking of checking it out. maybe when zoney comes to visit in february i can talk him into it.

:wink:

toni braxton is another one who has her own show here, too, but i'm like coriander, i don't have an opinion on it either way. i watched them cover up the side of the hotel one day with her huge face as i stood there eating ice cream (i forget which one it was, the flamingo, maybe?) ...i love las vegas so much.

but as far as MJ goes, i'd rather he stay away. just for the simple reason that i have no interest in watching it become like the second coming or something.

i can hear it now, "the king of vegas"

no thanks.

Well, Prince might be weird, but that dude can player guitar like a motherfucker. Celine Dion makes me want to vomit. Michael Jackson is a goddamn pedophile. I hope the King of Slop fucks up hugely his first night. I wish him nothing but the worst. EW indeed!

MrPryck2U said:
Well, Prince might be weird, but that dude can player guitar like a motherfucker. Celine Dion makes me want to vomit. Michael Jackson is a goddamn pedophile. I hope the King of Slop fucks up hugely his first night. I wish him nothing but the worst. EW indeed!
This was definitely one of the best and most accurate posts in this forum ever.:| :slant:

To say Vegas is his only option is a stretch. The man is still huge in Europe, South America and Asia. If anything a return to the US would be a weird move. Why not stay where his more vocal fans are? I could see MJ selling out stadiums throughout Europe next Summer quite easily if he could pull his shit together. Then again there were press reports at the end of hs 'HIStory' tour that he hated performing live - so who the hell knows?

thatsnotmypuppy said:
To say Vegas is his only option is a stretch.

Vegas may be the only promoters to front him the money he wants. Jacko has always had very expensive stage shows and keeping it in one city insures profit and if he cancels the odd show(Celine canned some shows) He's been known to cancel shows on a whim and this is taken in stride in Vegas whereas it very costly on international tours.

As for ASIA/S.A. and to a certain extent Europe: How many times can he play these places?

Vegas may be the quickest way for him to make CA$H, if that's his vice. IIRC, aside from One-offs he's never played several nights in the US since the BAD tour in the 80's?

u2fp

He's still an amazing performer. I think he'd do just fine with ticket sales if he did a Vegas gig. If he put together a setlist of all his best pre-Invincible(let's just forget that record), something like:

Jam
Wanna Be Startin' Something
Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough
She Drives Me Wild
Bad
Remember The Time
The Way You Make Me Feel
In The Closet
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
I Want You Back
I'll Be There
You Are Not Alone
Dirty Diana
Smooth Criminal
Rock With You
Billie Jean
Thriller
Beat It
Black Or White
Scream
Leave Me Alone
They Don't Care About Us
Stranger In Moscow
Earth Song
Heal The World
Human Nature
Man In The Mirror

He'd have PLENTY of business.

Is he still a fantastic performer? I think his only recent evidence of performing was his piss-poor appearance on whatever that award show was where he came out and poorly sang a line from We Are the World.

I mean yeah, maybe he was just having a bad day, but can he still perform?

But yeah, I don't know how he'd do States-side. He's been much bigger elsewhere in the world for some time now.

Back
Top Bottom