Messing-cum-Inworth, Essex, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Late nights, not a lot of sleep... that wouldn't make you particulary irritable at all, would it? :wink:

I'd let the mother get up and entertain herself if she's going to get up at that horrendous hour. But 7am, what is there to do at such an unearthly time?!

Only in terms of actually bluntly coming out and saying things. Which I'm not averse to doing at the best of times either. It's why they got me to do debating in high school. :laugh:

Hah, no, I want to spend time with her, and I'm sick of sleeping in until midday anyway. Means we can be out the door by 9am to do things and such.

Also said that IF McCain does win, there is no telling if they decide to kick all foreigners out, specifically Muslims.

Sigh. I'm not saying it WILL happen. I'm just saying, going by this crap going on in some states, it's a possibility.

In the whole political discussion that was going on, all I said was that I was nervous if McCain wins. The whole issues of racial hatred towards Obama on TV and Muslim bashing would make anyone of that religion nervous. I am no exception.

That is all I said.

I don't think it's being melodramatic to find it terrifying that someone like that actually has supporters. Supporters that go and hold placards saying things about Muslims/*insert any minority here* I can never imagine myself even thinking. It may be a few people, but those people still have votes. And that's terrifying.

I'm in complete agreement with you Zee :up:

Wow i better have a portable fan if i everget to Oz, i'd melt :lol:

It'd only be a stop over on my way to Auckland :drool:

You know you've been living in Australia too long when you don't actually consider 29 hot in and of itself, but are just pissed off that it's already coming and winter's over. By mid-summer, I'll be considering 29 not bad in comparison to 35-40.

And fuck Auckland, you want Wellington and the South Island. :drool:

Only in terms of actually bluntly coming out and saying things. Which I'm not averse to doing at the best of times either. It's why they got me to do debating in high school. :laugh:

Hah, no, I want to spend time with her, and I'm sick of sleeping in until midday anyway. Means we can be out the door by 9am to do things and such.

Debating societies are great things, but only when people are in complete agreement over an issue. Else, it just gets messy, don't you think?

How long's she staying?

I don't think it's being melodramatic to find it terrifying that someone like that actually has supporters. Supporters that go and hold placards saying things about Muslims/*insert any minority here* I can never imagine myself even thinking. It may be a few people, but those people still have votes. And that's terrifying.

I'm in complete agreement with you Zee :up:

Yep. And to add to that, the character attacks against Obama by Palin.

And the KKK threatening to kill kim if he's elected. :crazy:

In the whole political discussion that was going on, all I said was that I was nervous if McCain wins. The whole issues of racial hatred towards Obama on TV and Muslim bashing would make anyone of that religion nervous. I am no exception.

That is all I said.

Work on your expression and your substantiation then.

Also said that IF McCain does win, there is no telling if they decide to kick all foreigners out, specifically Muslims.

Sigh. I'm not saying it WILL happen. I'm just saying, going by this crap going on in some states, it's a possibility.

If you think that could take place in a modern, Western, liberal democracy, then you clearly just don't understand politics and are dabbling in unsubstantiated paranoia. I don't expect everybody to have the same grasp on the issues as people well versed in political science such as myself, but you could argue just about ANYTHING on the basis of "there is no telling" claims.

I mean, there is no telling that they won't decide to make homosexuality a capital crime, given the crap some religious fundamentalists who vote for McCain believe, but do you actually think it would plausibly happen? Of course not. Let's be sensible here.

Yep. And to add to that, the character attacks against Obama by Palin.

And the KKK threatening to kill kim if he's elected. :crazy:

I don't really know much about Obama, and I must admit I wanted Clinton to get the nomination. But as far as I'm concerned Obama is the only one of the two candidates I want to see as president. Forget 'but he's quite weak on..' and forget 'but he has so little experience...' etc. It's the central, elementary matters that are important to me. And that's why the Democrats will always come higher than the Republicans in my book :up:

Palin's an idiot. Enough said!

You know you've been living in Australia too long when you don't actually consider 29 hot in and of itself, but are just pissed off that it's already coming and winter's over. By mid-summer, I'll be considering 29 not bad in comparison to 35-40.

And fuck Auckland, you want Wellington and the South Island. :drool:

NO:angry:

KIm lives in ****** which is nearAuckland so that's were i'm going :drool:

I do know where she lives but for obvious reasons didn't post it :lol:

Debating societies are great things, but only when people are in complete agreement over an issue. Else, it just gets messy, don't you think?

How long's she staying?

Hell no. The whole point is the meeting of differing opinions and an intelligent exchange in order to better understand both their arguments and your own.

Four days.

Work on your expression and your substantiation then.

If you think that could take place in a modern, Western, liberal democracy, then you clearly just don't understand politics and are dabbling in unsubstantiated paranoia. I don't expect everybody to have the same grasp on the issues as people well versed in political science such as myself, but you could argue just about ANYTHING on the basis of "there is no telling" claims.

I mean, there is no telling that they won't decide to make homosexuality a capital crime, given the crap some religious fundamentalists who vote for McCain believe, but do you actually think it would plausibly happen? Of course not. Let's be sensible here.

You're too much of an idealist, Axver. "If you think that could take place in a modern, Western, liberal democracy, then you clearly just don't understand politics and are dabbling in unsubstantiated paranoia." ... if you're referring to the immigration issue, then there are countless European examples to show how such things have come into operation as a direction result of government Xenophobia. Look at Berlusconi with the Romany's. It may be done covertly, but they're being 'gotten rid of' nevertheless.

People have different ways of putting points across, and no - not everyone's quite as elegant as yourself. But people can still feel passionately about certain issues and can feel just as riled without knowing 100% the facts. Do remember that you're in the super thread now, not congress :wink:

You're too much of an idealist, Axver. "f you think that could take place in a modern, Western, liberal democracy, then you clearly just don't understand politics and are dabbling in unsubstantiated paranoia." ... if you're referring to the immigration issue, then there are countless European examples to show how such things have come into operation as a direction result of government Xenophobia. Look at Berlusconi with the Romany's. It may be done covertly, but they're being 'gotten rid of' nevertheless.

Idealist? Hardly. I usually have to defend myself from accusations of being an adherent of International Relations realism.

My point is that mass deportations of a social, religious, or ethnic group violate basic norms of international relations. Due to the consequences of violating such international norms, no modern, Western, liberal democracy would dare to undertake them as it would become a global pariah and suffer complete economic collapse (need I point out that in the present system, economic priorities are supreme?). Furthermore, due to the way the organs of the state function within modern, Western, liberal democracy, such a policy would never actually pass. It would have to become an illiberal democracy first, a process that would take decades, since it would require institutional restructuring.

Do remember that you're in the super thread now, not congress :wink:

Yes, the Superthread, not Describe. This has always been the land of informed political discussion.

Funny thing (well, not really but...), one time at work I had someone call me a "stupid immigrant". :slant:

What?! ... And what's that based on, you not being white? :huh: Pathetic, people are absolutely pathetic.

(And you finished to the lighthouse?! Like it? :drool: )

What?! ... And what's that based on, you not being white? :huh: Pathetic, people are absolutely pathetic.

(And you finished to the lighthouse?! Like it? :drool: )

:shrug: she was just trying to argue with me about some wrong scan price policy, i just ignored her. Sure, I wasn't born here, I'm still a Canadian Citizen though.

I loved To The Lighthouse...I want to read it again when I don't have to rush to get through it for a tutorial...but I thought it was beautiful.

I have a story I told a couple friends about - including Wild, Dani.

While at the check out counter at Target the other day, the sales associate asked me if I wanted to apply for a Target card as they always do. I said no. She kept pressing me for one, as is her job. I told her the reason - I'm not a US citizen so I can't have one. (and I really can't). She then proceeds to ask me where I'm from. I reply "Tanzania."

She's like "Huh??? :huh: What's that?"

:|

Me: "East Africa."

Her: "Never heard of it..."

Me: "Ok.. "

Her: "Then how come you speak English if you're from, like, Africa??"

Me: ".... I learnt it in school."

Her: "You went to school there??"

Me: "Yes."

Her: "And they taught English??? :ohmy:"

Me: "Uh huh..."

Her: " Wow... don't people in Africa speak African?? That chanting thing..."