Message for POPMARTIAN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
Howdy Pop, seeing as though I am not a premium member I can not send private messages, so I hope this gets to you here. Anyways I just want to tell you about my night seeing Michael Franti and Spearhead on the 9th of August. I can not describe in words how amazing this show was, I would even go so far as to say that it even out did the two concerts that I have seen of U2 (and for me this is saying a lot).

Basically the show went like this,

Michael and spearhead did an amazing 3 hour set, with no breaks or stops

his lyrics and words were just beautiful- this man just resonates love, peace and happiness and to be in a venue where everyone else is feeling the same vibe is just so powerful- highlight songs for me were 'Everyone deserves music' and 'rock the nation' and I also liked Micheal's little adlib version of Marvin Gaye's 'Whats going on'

and on another sadder note the spearhead gig in Brisbane was played at a live venue relic of a building called 'Festival Hall'. This building probably has about a 5000 seating capacity and has been around since 1954 and if you can name the band than I gurantee that the venue has hosted them over the years, some of my most favourite live shows have been there, due to the intimacy of the venue- first gig I saw there was the red hot chilli peppers back in 92. Anyway as progress dictates the hall is being knocked tot he ground so that high rise apartment building can be erected in the heart of the city, so the Spearhead gig on saturday night was the last ever gig to be played at Festival Hall and Michael was well aware of this and played his heart out and then at the end of the gig made his way into the ccrowd to shake hands and hug people....

now Pop I know that you know how amazing this guy is, but I just wanted tos hare my night with someone who appreciated this guy, thanks for listening:)

Did someone call me? :shifty:
:D

I have to confess I still haven't seen them live. I don't know why, it just never happened (oh well, I do know why I didn't see him live the last time he did a concert in the Netherlands, it was scheduled at the same day as the Coldplay concert I went to).
But yeah, I've heard before that they play amazing 3-hour sets and that the vibe is really positive. So I'll be on the lookout for the next time they play the Netherlands. They're a band I have to see/experience at least once.

Thanks for the wonderful story, although it's sad to hear about the venue. History is important and that includes rock history. ;)
BTW, I mention U2 and now you probably have to confess they never played at that venue. :tongue:
:D

C ya!

Marty

I'm glad I peeked.....

Hi Aurora and marty:D
I was wondering what was happening to Festival Hall...well I knew it was being re-developed...just didn't know when.
I have fond memories of that place. I suppose that means the quaint shops that belong to the two old brothers will be gone too,the doll hospital, watchmakers and dance supply shop. I spent a lot of time peering in their windows one night waiting outside while my sons were at a concert. And the ancient old ushers in their bowties.It was great there was a venue that Under 18's could attend. It will be missed.
Michael Franti and Spearhead:up:
The Whitlams are playing near here soon Aurora. I think I will have to scrape the pennies together and go along to support them. I hope I luck it in with some good ( inexpensive) entertainment in Byron this weekend. I miss pennyblack:heart: playing with Superjesus and Skulker by one week.
EVERYONE deserve sweet music:)

ah well,
if nothing else that this thread has inspired me to go see mr Franti the next time he hits the netherlands :up:

like I said 'you name them and I can gurantee that they have played there!' U2 did indeed play Festival Hall on the Unforgettable Fire tour. However the next time they came to Brisbane they were far to popular with all the Joshua Tree hype and all and had to play the larger 'Entertainment Centre' in Brisbane:)

Ouch, my bad. You're absolutely right. They did play there! :up:

C ya!

Marty (whose red cheeks are even redder now)

Back
Top Bottom