MERGED ---> Zwan + Hear Zwan on Mtv.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's all this "my butcher friend" stuff? I've never met you before in my life. Don't worry: I'm not going to kill you. What do you take me for? a raving lunatic? nah, that would be the the job of a wes craven cahracter. i was fortunate enough to be in a Scorsese film, therefore giving me some kind of ethics...however warped they might be.

(iwasbored: it's a hell of a lot of fun having your avatar talk)

On another note, you can watch Zwan perform live over on David Letterman's website.

Well...as much as I bitched and moaned about pre-ordering Zwan and it not arriving until atleast monday...well well...I was SO wrong....I got it on Friday!!!! :hyper::hyper:
I listened to the album about 3 or 4 times in a row tonight...and there are no words....just simply awesome...a real feel good album....just brilliant.:up::drool:

So.....we picked up the album today :up:

Anyone bother to look up the lyrics to the songs yet?

I think Billy Corgan has become a Christian, the song that most points to that is 'Jesus, I /Mary of the Sea', 'Ride A Black Swan' is also pretty obvious. In that frame of mind 'Lyric', 'Honestly', 'Declaration of Faith', 'Heartsong', and Endless Summer' would fit with becoming a Christian as well.

Plus this album is pretty different from any of the old Pumpkins stuff, not just in lyrics (think about "Eye", "Zero", "Bullet w/ Butterfly Wings) but just the whole tone of this album is so much more upbeat.

Lyrics are up at http://www.azlyrics.com/z/zwan.html

Thoughts?

"I think Billy Corgan has become a Christian".

I thought that was understood.

Zwan.

I suggest you all pickup Zwan's debut album, Billy Corgans new band, Mary Star of the Sea which was released last week. I have never been a Smashing Pumpkins or BC fan at all, only liking the classics such as Today, Tonight, Tonight, Ava Adore, etc. I never owned any SP albums either. The other night, I made a "blind buy" of this Zwan album. I went to the beach and played it in my car... from the beggining I knew I had something special. I listened to the whole album from start to finish and was completley amazed at what an incredible album it turned out to be. Loud guitars, hooking melodies, continous drums - and to top it off - Corgan's best lyrics. Needless to say, I had never felt this way about an album before, only comparable to U2's ATYCLB. A lot of Zwan fans have mentioned that they are also big U2 fans and that's why I wanted to let this community know about the album.

Basically, there is not one weak song. The first single, "Honestly" is a great song - not the best of course - but great. The video is being played right now all over and the band got the #1 or #2 position on the charts, selling close to 100,000. Anyways, from the single, to the acoustic song to the 14-minute epic at the end, I reccomend this album to you. Give it a try.

honestly5.jpg

From the video, "Honestly".

u2popmofo said:
"I think Billy Corgan has become a Christian".

I thought that was understood.

Sorry - has this come up somewhere else? Haven't done a whole lot of research on this, or read any stories about his transformation, just wondered if it was obvious to anyone else :shrug:

I'm really excited over this, I didn't know it was Billy Corgan's new group! I heard a rumor he grew some hair, any truth to that? He's been baldheaded so long now, I'd love to see him with some hair or at least a beanie! I will definately check this band out now I know it's him! Is James Iha there too?

how could you NOT know it was his new band? that voice is quite unmistakenable...

Bonosloveslave, yeah there's been some stuff in the press and in pretty much every review talking about how a lot if not most of the songs are very religious in subject matter. Sadly, I've seen a lot of Smashing Pumpkins fans complaining about it and saying they hate it because of that.

The pumpkins were my first favorite group...and really my introduction to rock n roll. I listened to them constantly throughout high school until the lyrics got too dark for me...and I got into u2 at the age of 19. Although the pumpkins weren't my favorite band anymore when they broke up...I'll always be fan of the music and Billy. I got the Zwan album yesterday and I've heard it 5-6 times....never thought I'd hear Billy sing "Honestly, I believe in love:) but its an awesome listen and its cool to hear Billy sing thing I can identify with again:)

I still need to go buy the album. Last weekend I bought Interpol instead. This weekend I bought Minor Threat. Come on me, go buy ZWAN!!!! I had 2 tests this week though, so I was busy "studying". Ok, I virtually didnt study at all, but I feel better about myself if I'm not out having fun when I should be studying. I'll try to go get it this week.

400th post, yippee. I rule.

i still haven't bought it (or got a haircut)

i played "settle down" on my radio show friday night

Sheesh, hippie. Sounds like you need to spend some money too.

Radio show? Where? Can I listen?

are you calling me a hippie?

*senses the need for another avatar change coming soon*

i don't look like a hippi YET. still in that escaped convict state.

the radio station is streaming online...i'm still a bit nervous about telling people to listen to me though, even though i avoid talking if at all possible, so you'd hardly hear me...remind me to post it in about a month. by then anyone who cared now will have forgot, or if they haven't (either cos they were actually interested or i keep talking about it and if you read anyhting i say you'll be constantly reminded) i'll have got over this initial fear of being heard on the radio...

Sounds good man. Just be glad I didnt call you a DIRTY hippie.

Yes, I finally bought the album and have listened to it. Sure I've only heard it once, but I'm going to have to say that I really, really like this thing. Maybe it's that it's so upbeat, I dont know.

I really think I like it more than most all Smashing Pumpkin albums. That's my opinion as of now.

PS- IWasBored, now that you got the haircut you need to get this album. Remember, you get stickers AND the album. Now that's a good deal.

i know i need to buy the album, we didn't get multiple copies at the radio station, and listening to it there isn't enough...

and hey, you can't go wrong with stickers...i guess...don't know where i'd put them though...

I've listened to this 3 times tonight. I need to stop before I get sick of it, if thats possible.

if it's as good as it seems to be, it will probably take a while before you're sick of it

billy corgan has always been a christian.

true, his lyrics in the past were more melancholy and bittersweet, with less focus on faith, but the lyrics with Zwan are not that radically different from what they ever were, go listen to a song from Machina like "with every light" or "for martha" from Adore

i keep hearing everyone say that "honestly" is such a nice, happy song, but when you say things like, "is it true, do i care?" what are you actually saying about your faith and love?

honestly, a single wrong is not enough
to cover up the pain in us

-

i'll break your heart so you must ask
is this the way to get us back
i don't know, honestly

sure, billy is much more optimisitc and more at peace now then ever before, but don't be fooled by the chorus, i always laughed at people saying songs like "perfect" and "today" were happy tunes, when in fact one was about suicide and the other was about divorce

i think "heartsong" probably sums things up as well as anything...

i'm up to my tricks
i know they seem cold

but heart songs
are all that i am

NEWS FLASH!

billy corgan has been writing hearsongs for the last 15 years

"el sol" begins with,

empty-armed
and half a soul to go

then the telling lines...

now everybody knows
that i've been hanging down so low
'cause now i'm feeling up
soon i'll be feeling out so cold

even a song like "declarations of faith" is slightly melancholy, yes corgan is embracing a brighter outlook, but he's still very sullen and self-depracating at times, just now there seems to be hope in his reflections...

ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby
'cause no one really cares
someone ought to spot a good reason, baby
just why we're really here...

whatever... kiss me alone

anyway, that's my story and i'm sticking to it

Last edited:
The Wanderer said:

anyway, that's my story and i'm sticking to it

Good golly, please dont quote Colin Quin. Yikes.

On all of your other comments, I agree. I just dont agree with quoting Colin Quin.

ok little rocket richard (pronounced the french way)

is colin quinn the guy on SNL now? every once in a while i catch a bit of that show and it really sucks now

anyway he didnt coin that phrase

Last edited:
Colin Quin WAS on SNL. He hasnt been on for like 2 or 3 yrs now. I really like SNL now. It's the first time it's been really good since the early '90's in my opinion. I've always been a big SNL fan though.

Back
Top Bottom