MERGED --> World Idol + Kurt is the winner of World Idol!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
World Idol

International ?Idols? to face off

First-season winners to compete during holiday shows

IN ?WORLD IDOL,? a two-part special airing the evenings of Christmas and New Year?s Day, Clarkson will compete in London with winners from 10 other countries, including Lebanon, South Africa and Poland.
An international panel of judges, made up of one representative from each country, will comment on the performances. Then viewers from around the world will have the chance to vote.
Details on the voting process will be released later, according to the Fox network, home of ?American Idol.?
The competitors are all winners of the first season of the ?Idol? series in their respective countries ? making second-season U.S. winner Ruben Studdard ineligible, the network said Wednesday.
The program will air 8-10 p.m. EST on Dec. 25, and 9-10 p.m. EST on Jan. 1.
The ?World Idol? participants, besides Clarkson, are Will Young, United Kingdom; Heinz Winckler, South Africa; Alicja Janosz, Poland; Jamai Loman, Netherlands; Alexander Klaws, Germany; Kurt Nilsen, Norway; Diana Karazon, Lebanon; Peter Evrard, Belgium, and Ryan Malcolm, Canada; and an Australian contestant who will be selected Nov. 19.
While ?Idol? winners get record contracts in the national contests, a Fox spokeswoman said she was unaware of a prize for the international champion.
Shows patterned after the original series, Britain?s ?Pop Idol,? now are seen in more than 20 countries.
?American Idol? proved a major ratings hit for Fox. The premiere date for the third season of the U.S. show has yet to be announced.

I applaud you not posting about this in Bang & Clatter since it indeed has nothing to do with music

Salome said:
I applaud you not posting about this in Bang & Clatter since it indeed has nothing to do with music

:ohmy: :laugh:

Who won anyway?

I thought the guy who sang Light my Fire was awful, awful, awful. The guy from germany was also very bad. In fact they all were pretty bad aside from Kelly Clarkson. I thought the guy who sang Beautiful Day was good. He wasn't flat or sharp like most of the contestants. My family kept begging my sister and I to turn it off but we wanted to see all the winners. Nothing else was on anyway....

I had such a low-key day that the TV was eventually turned on... I thought the "Beautiful Day" performance was not-so-bad... he was right on as far as mimicing Bono's maneurisms while on stage. My mom picked up the phone and placed a vote :p

:shrug: I don't know others but I heard Will Young and Alexander Klaws before - sugar overload, thin voices with no characteristics.
:no:

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Who sang Beautiful Day? :huh:

Norwegian hobbit.

In the course of the competition in Norway, he also sang "One" and Stuck. Presumably he's a big fan.

What can I say, I have a friend who lives up in Bergen. I hear stuff through the grapevine.

I dunno, I didn't think the "Beautiful Day" guy was all that bad. He was okay. I particularly liked the Canadian and the South African guys. They were good. I didn't actually call in and vote, but those were my personal favorites. Kelly wasn't bad, either.

The version of "Light My Fire" was...unusual...:eyebrow: :huh:...

Did anyone hear the guy "singing" "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" in the commercial for the new season of American Idol next year? Yeah...I have to go find him and hurt him...or something...

Angela

:madspit: I never once watched Australian Idol. I saw the ads and it all seemed to be people singing Beyonce ... even those of the male persuasion.

Of course I didn't watch World Idol. Just one question though ... did the contestants from non-English speaking countries sing in English? Or in their own languages? Is that not a bit unfair if they do sing in English?

~*Buffalo*~ said:
did the contestants from non-English speaking countries sing in English? Or in their own languages? Is that not a bit unfair if they do sing in English?

I thought this same thing, it seems the competition is a bit swayed by this important detail.

Only one non-English contestant sang in her native tongue... the Arabian idol from Lebanon (her name escapes me...I guess I don't have every detail of World Idol committed to memory yet :( )

This was the first Idol competition I've seen (honest it was!!)--personally I think the rejects were funniest to watch because I can relate with them more (ya know, off key and all)

I watched it on German TV today...my favorites were Australian guy - soulful voice - I thought the arrangement of the song was odd though, Kelly Clarkson (incidentally I also noticed her video on MTV) and South African guy who sang Don't wanna miss a thing.
(honorable mentions guy from Holland and the girl from Poland)

Norwegian guy - "hobbit" who sang Beautiful day - has a quite good voice but he screamed too much, dunno why he had to sing the "you thought you found a friend to take you out of this place" part before the first chorus that way.

Achtung_Bebe said:
This was the first Idol competition I've seen (honest it was!!)--personally I think the rejects were funniest to watch because I can relate with them more (ya know, off key and all)

Haha, the rejects were hilarious-I loved the one guy who was like, "I don't know what the hell I'm singing..."-:laugh:. And then of course there was Keith...lordy...I feel kinda bad for him, 'cause of all the things he could be remembered for, he'll be known as the worst singer in the world-his parents must be so proud.

But still...did he honestly think that he was going to wow the judges by singing and dancing the way he did?

Heh, my sister and I found his performance and downloaded it once, and we messed around with his voice on this Cool Edit Pro thing-we made it higher, lower, slower, faster, etc., and we discovered that it didn't matter what we did to his voice-he still sounded bad. :p.

Anywho, yeah...the rejects are always the fun part of the auditions. That's what got me hooked last year. I can't wait to see the auditions the next time around.

By the way, did anyone else find it kinda funny that while all the other judges spoke in their native accents or languages, they picked Simon for the American judge, even though he has a British accent?

Angela

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom