MERGED ---> Wireless question... + Wireless networking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
Wireless question...

I want wireless internet. Do I have to have someone come and set it up or is there a place where I can just sign up for it online? I already have wireless capability on my laptop, so I don't think I need to do anything else for that. I just don't want to hassle with installing stuff if I can help it.

You need to sign up for 'regular' internet access (cable/DSL), and then buy yourself a wireless router, connect it to the modem your ISP provides.

Your laptop's wireless capability means you have a wireless card inside, but you still need the router. Get yourself a good one with a speed boost. Linksys and D Link are decent.

though if you're lucky one of your neighbors has wireless set up and you can "borrow" theirs :shifty:

Chizip said:
though if you're lucky one of your neighbors has wireless set up and you can "borrow" theirs :shifty:

Only if they're dumb enough not to protect their network. :madspit:

Chizip said:

They're not very sharing here! I've been trying to get them to share all day and all I get is on again, off again. :shifty:

I'm a wireless rookie, but I actually know what y'all's talking about, so I feel pretty good right now.

How do you prevent someone else from using your network? not that I really care, but in case I need to.

Like I've seen the whole thing where you set up a profile and pick different settings, but..... ....... I don't get the finer points quite yet

Mine's named Forrest, after my dog. All of my neighbors have theirs encrypted. The only interesting one is named "langfish."

Trying to set up my wireless was a blast. Comcast referred me to Toshiba, who referred me to Comcast, who referred me to Toshiba who....

When I lived in Boston, I was one of those neighbors who shoved on the highest encryption rate and turned off SSID broadcasting, so no one could even find my network. :angry:

Melon

smart :up:

Yeah, I say if you're not going to set a password or whatever, you have no right to care/complain that others are using it.

melon said:
When I lived in Boston, I was one of those neighbors who shoved on the highest encryption rate and turned off SSID broadcasting, so no one could even find my network. :angry:

Melon

Same here, I can't even find ours sometimes. :lol:

We're the smiley-face network, SSID :), but we have a WEP key :p

When SBC took two weeks to re-start our new internet service, we had to use the 'mantis' network (who is smart enough to change their SSID, but not turn off broadcasting or turn on encryption?) which sucks b/c I can only get on if I sit on the floor next to my turtle tank.

A lot of routers don't have the capability to turn off the SSID. When I shopped around for one, though, that was one of the features I wanted specifically.

Melon

Well the neighbors are unreliable for me to leech off of, but next week my roommate gets her DSL transferred and I don't know if I'll even bother to go the extra mile for wireless. I can just get a really long cord and plug in somewhere. :wink:

Wireless networking questions

Ok, so my roommate has her DSL up and running and now I really want to do the wireless thing. Am I going to have to install the software they provided her on my laptop? Can I just rig it up so that won't matter and I'll get my happy signal and be on my way? I've never done this so give me the details!

Did she install a wireless router w/ her DSL? I know Comcast cable internet will install and setup your wireless network. I'm not sure how other DSL services work though. With my SBC, I bought my own wireless router and set it all up. You don't need any software.

I was hoping to be able to just do the same as you. I don't think she did, but I could probably figure it out. Are those things expensive to set up?

No, not really. My router was $65 and then I got $15 and $25 back in rebates. You also need a wireless card on your computer. My laptop's card was $20.

The nice thing is that w/ the wireless routers, you still get 4 wired ports. In our house, one girl uses a desktop so she can still connect that way. Actually, I always use a wired connection unless I'm out of reach of the cord. The wired connection seems to be a bit faster and more consistent, but that all depends on the quality of your wireless router and wireless card (I bought a well known brand, but the cheap models).

If you want to plug into your roommate's wired DSL, you shouldn't need the software as long as the router is configured for more than one computer (which it would be unless she did something weird to it on her own). If you have Windows 2000 or XP, you just plug it in at it should automatically create a Local Area Connection and pull an IP address.

Is this helping at all? If you've got a wireless router already, PM me...

That makes sense to me now, but I'm not at home trying to figure it out yet. lol I have to buy a router and hopefully I can do that next week. I imagine I'll be completely wireless. I know on my laptop it has options to set up wireless and lan connections. I'll PM you when I get the goods. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom