MERGED --> What are you reading? + Eragon + Interference, What Are You Reading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Memoirs Of A Geisha - Arthur Golden

I've read it before and it's one of my favourite books, but I'd forgotten how good it is, I can't put the damn thing down! :wink:

JCOSTER said:
Today my kids wanted to go into B. Dalton (aka Barnes & Noble) and I got the hard cover U2 Show for $9.99 on the bargain table!!
For $9.99 its nice to add to a U2 collection.

I saw that book in the "great gift for dad" section at the bookstore a few weeks ago :lol: I was actually offended for a millisecond, and thought about rushing to the counter screaming about U2's relevance. I'd like to get it at some point...some great pics in there.

PlaTheGreat said:

I'm really liking Anderson and I've never even watched his show. :sick:

The interesting thing is that you don't need to watch his show to know what he represents...he's everywhere. If he's not on Oprah or Jon Stewart, he's on some other show. I actually heard him on the radio here last week. I really like how he cuts through the mainstream and lets people know about the big stuff in the world...that's a gift.

Interference library :hyper: (My seal and iceberg catalogue is mighty impressive.)

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

An entertaining scribe of the history of the sciences, life, and the earth itself. With lots of interesting tidbits of how little we really know about our planet and the species who share it. And how difficult it is for any new theory to be accepted by other so-called experts in the different fields. From the readings in the book, it turns out that if you have a new concept on how something works, expect to be either ridiculed or ignored for a while before it is accepted by the world. Great book!!

I finished the Flaming Lips biography (it's weird - a lot of the band's music is too "out there" for me, but I find them as a band very interesting).

Now I'm onto "The Sociopath Next Door," by Martha Stout and now I know what a sociopath is. Apparently one out of every four people is one.

:shifty:

I finished The Weight of Water, which has a very unexpected ending, very suspenseful book, good read. :drool: Right now I'm in the middle of Waiting for Snow in Havana by Carlos Eire. It's about a middleclass Cuban family in the late 50s, early 60s, and the sons being airlifted out of Cuba as part of Operation Pedro Pan. :( Sad book, but what makes it even sadder is that fact that it's all true :(

I just finished most of Consider the Lobster, a book of essays by David Foster Wallace. I'd heard someone on NPR claiming it was the best book of 2005. It was okay. Some of the essays were

DFW's writing is very good, and often very funny, but he often writes about things I'm just not interested in. But I did enjoy each of the pieces I read.

I just finished Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson, and now I'm in the middle of The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis.

It's weird how differently people think of how good a book is 'cos i was utterly engrossed by the Da Vinci code :love:

Today I started Julia Scheeres' memoir Jesus Land, and finished it in two sittings. Utterly engrossing, horrifying and sometimes funny.

Julia is a teenager in rural Indiana in the 1980s, with two adopted African American brothers. Their parents are uber-Christians who are anything but kind and loving. Julia and her younger brother end up in a place they never could have imagined. (That's kind of a lame cliche, but I didn't want to spoil what happens in the book ... although I bet it says it anyway on the jacket flap.)

Highly recommended!

~BrightestStar~ said:
He gave a talk at my university once. Such an amazing speaker, such a great man. :up::up:

I look foreward to reading it.

You might also enjoy this, from the 2005 Massey Lectures in Canada. It's Lewis talking about his experiences...doing so with his trademark passion and wit. I thought it really added to the book when I heard it a few weeks ago:

http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/massey.html

Just finished A Clockwork Orange.
Really liked the book, very interesting...although honestly I didn't like the last chapter that apparently hadn't been added to the American versions til recently. I think I would've actually preferred it without. :hmm:

going to the library in a few :drool:
books I want (many inspired by this thread):
Slaughterhouse 5
Weight of Water
Catch 22
Love, Rosie
Reading Lolita in Tehran
Motorcycle Diaries (enjoyed the movie a lot)
and something by Agatha Christie just for fun

plus any CDs I might find.

Why have I waited so long to get a bunch of reading in this summer? esp. now that I really do need to finish my school reading before anything else. :sad:

VertigoGal said:
going to the library in a few :drool:
books I want (many inspired by this thread):
Slaughterhouse 5
Weight of Water
Catch 22
Love, Rosie
Reading Lolita in Tehran
Motorcycle Diaries (enjoyed the movie a lot)
and something by Agatha Christie just for fun

plus any CDs I might find.

Why have I waited so long to get a bunch of reading in this summer? esp. now that I really do need to finish my school reading before anything else. :sad:

:combust: What a great list, whoever recommended The Weight of Water has great taste :wink:

:lol: wasn't able to find that one, unfortunately Kara. :sad:

I did pick up-
Endless Night- Agatha Christie
Slaughterhouse Five
and the Motorcycle Diaries, which I am reading right now and will most likely finish in this sitting. The way it's written is absolutely beautiful.
:heart:

VertigoGal said:
:lol: wasn't able to find that one, unfortunately Kara. :sad:

I did pick up-
Endless Night- Agatha Christie
Slaughterhouse Five
and the Motorcycle Diaries, which I am reading right now and will most likely finish in this sitting. The way it's written is absolutely beautiful.
:heart:

:lol: S'alright, VG, the list there sounds great :up:

:drool: :nerd: :drool:

Finished the Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevera a bit earlier. I loved reading it, the beauty of the descriptions was incredible. It had a good pace, always interesting but taking time to give some background info on some of the more important points. I don't have any particular political opinions regarding his later actions blah blah blah but it was just a refreshing read. :yes:

Wow, you're reading a lot, VG :ohmy: I'm going to put my summer reading off til the week before school starts, as is my tradition :D I still have a month and a half :dance:

Plus, I can't add what books I've been reading, as I've been reading all easy books.....aka, Harry Potter and Archie comics :reject:

Archie comics! Man, I used to love those. I love that they still have the little ones at the cashier's lanes in supermarkets.

I'm in the middle of Dave King's The Ha-Ha, which isn't too bad. But I'm leaving on a road trip tomorrow and will save the rest of that one for when I return.

I have six books in my bag. I like to have options. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom