MERGED--> Vancouver A Step Closer To Winter Olympics 2010 Bid + Vancity 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Vancouver A Step Closer To Winter Olympics 2010 Bid

This would be so great for the city of Vancouver. One Olympic committee member said, "We have to find a way of getting the olympics to Vancouver. It's the nicest city I've ever been to." The three candidates have been narrowed down to Vancouver, Canada; Salzburg, Austria; and Pyeongchang, South Korea. The IOC makes the decision on July 2nd. My birthday. Good omen perhaps?

Which events do you want see added/eliminated from the Winter Olympics? Hockey has to stay of course! As boring as Curling is, I think that has to stay as well. There are some events that have me scratching my head (ballroom dancing at the Summer Olympics come to mind)...

Vancouver bid termed 'high quality' by IOC

Grouse Mountain, Vancouver, BC
Grouse_Mountain_28172.jpg

Canadian Press

5/2/2003

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (CP) - The International Olympic Committee says Vancouver and the other two cities bidding for the 2010 Winter Games "could all organize very good Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games."

The Evaluation Commission report, based on visits to each of the candidate cities, does not rank the three candidates: Vancouver, the Austrian city of Salzburg, and Pyeongchang, South Korea.

The IOC will vote July 2 to decide who will be host of the Games.

"The people of Vancouver and Canada should be most encouraged by this report. We couldn't be happier with the report," said Jack Poole, chairman and CEO of the Vancouver 2010 Bid Corp.

But both Poole and John Furlong, president and COO of the Vancouver bid group, said there was no front-runner. All three candidate cities were still in the race.

But Vancouver did well in the report.

"It seems that the report has a few more question marks on Pyeongchang and Salzburg than on Canada," said British IOC member Craig Reedie, who was not involved in the assessment. "On a technical basis, it looks to me like Vancouver might be ahead."

Like many IOC documents, nuance is all-important in this document.

The Vancouver bid and presentations were "of a very high quality," while the Pyeonchang proposal was "well-prepared." There was no comment on the quality of the Salzburg presentatation.

The South Korea bid shows "very strong public support for the Olympic Games." Support in Salzburg is also "very strong." The Vancouver bid enjoys "strong support."

The report also says the Vancouver bid's proposed venues are well thought-out and that the project demonstrates a "clear vision."

But it notes the two-hour distance between Vancouver and Whistler "could be a challenge." It also says "transport strategies will require further development, particularly in Vancouver."

But Poole downplayed the issue of transportation.

"They (the commission) are fully satisified by our plans for the road," he said from Vancouver. "In our view, if it ever was an issue, it's not an issue now. It's behind us."

The Vancouver budget got good grades - "reasonably estimated" and "sound and achievable."

The Pyeonchang bid gets strong marks for public and government support, but several budget items were underestimated, according to the report. Accommodations could also be a problem, with many rooms for sponsors more than 50 kilometres from the venues.

As well, broadcast production staff will require "further international training and experience."

The Salzburg budget also came under scrutiny.

"Several cost elements, such as staff and transport costs and financial pressures with respect to accommodation pricing and the Olympic Family room rate, appear to be significantly underestimated and will require close scrutiny and diligent management if a balanced budget is to be achieved," the IOC report warned.

But the Salzburg bid does have "a wealth of existing world-class venues."

The report expressed concerns about the snowboarding venue - poor access to the venue and lack of space around the finish line - and the Nordic combined and ski jumping site - logistical difficulties and a 300-metre altitude difference from the Olympic Village.

Five other cities originally bid to host the 2010 Games. Andorra La Vella, Andorra; Harbin, China; Jaca, Spain; and Sarajevo did not survive the IOC initial cut. Bern, Switzerland, did but withdrew last September following a referendum.

Toronto officials will be watching the process closely. Any bid for the 2012 Summer Games will depend on how Vancouver fares for the 2010 Winter Games.

Last edited:
It sounds like the only thing holding the bid back is the road conditions, and the distance between the major urban centers of BC and Whistler... other than that, it's been long enough since Canada has hosted the Olympics... Calgary '88.

[size=small] Calgary in 2038![/size]

zonelistener said:

Anyone else get the feeling that "Put Em' Under Pressure" has turned into the "everything about Vancouver" Forum? :shifty:
Bwhaha! So true. Hopefully it lasts until mid June or so and makes a cameo re-appearance on July 2nd :wink:

Last edited:
ive never used :hyper:. ive never been hyper tho.

the decision is less than a week away...
:hyper:

well happy early bday to you michael. ;) i hope the IOC presents Vancouver with the games. when Atlanta hosted the 1996 summer games it was a fun time to live in the city. we are still benefiting from being a host. :yes: on a side and unfortunate note, one of the key figures who brought the games to Atlanta died of a massive and sudden heart attack on Monday morning. :(

Michael Griffiths said:
My birthday is on July 2nd, too. Wow, what a great birthday present that would be!!

July birthdays rule :up:

Hmm... a thread about Vancouver, with a passing mention of the Great One himself. Curious. Most Curious.

:eyebrow:

Atlanta, Salt Lake City... in the past decade. And you want another Olympics? Calgary was the last city of Canada as far as Olympic hosting duties go... '88. It will be a 22 year gap if Vancouver gets it in 2010, as opposed to the imaginary New York bid for 2012 (which would be a 10 year gap... 16 from Atlanta).

Didn't Korea and Japan just host the World Cup? And didn't Nagano have the Winter Olympics in 1998 (I know, some of us choose to forget it :sexywink:)? Beijing is also in line for hosting, so that's a lot of activity in that continental area... maybe time to go back to Canada eh?

:wink:

AvsGirl41 said:
Ok, maybe I don't know much about the climate in South Korea--but they don't strike me as very wintery...?
Yeah, I'm not sure...I'm sure they have some areas that are though...otherwise they wouldn't be able to put on the games.

But just look how wintery Vancouver is!

vanc.jpg

Wow, this is a very old picture...most of the buildings are missing!

Last edited:
And simply for the sake of complete ostentation and over indulgence...

vancouver-postcard-1.jpg

PS. GM Place, where the Canucks play, is the smaller of the two buildings, and is just to the right of BC Place...because I know you all care, desperately.

Last edited:
You're such a homer.

My town could totally kick your town's ass. In an ass-kicking contest.

:up:

:sexywink:

For the sake of amateur development in Canada, I sure hope that "we" win the bid. This summer I'll be working at the Olympic Oval... sure to see lots of present and future speed-skating stars. I saw Jeremy Wotherspoon the other day... he was tying his shoelaces. When he went to get up he fell over.

:wink:

Well, no one has to worry about Denver hosting the Olympics, ever. They said we'd never even be nominated again. :wink:

Too bad. All those hot foreign guys. :drool:

Michael Griffiths said:
Hey, Zoni - thanks for starting another Van City thread :wink: That was very kind of you...too bad they merged them! lol

I can't take credit....Bonoman!

and...I have a feeling if LM_PopAngel didn't merge,,,that you would have the whole sports thread filled with Vancouver threads! :wink:

The Gem of the Northwest!!!! :up:

cujo said:
You're such a homer.

My town could totally kick your town's ass. In an ass-kicking contest.

:up:

:sexywink:
Aw, I'm sorry Cujo...Calgary is a wonderful city, too. It's hard not to be a homer once you've lived in literaly the most naturally beautiful city in the world :wink:

Anyway, here's another beautiful city that hosted the '88 Olympics. The Rockies are awesome!
Calgary.jpg

Michael Griffiths said:
Aw, I'm sorry Cujo...Calgary is a wonderful city, too. It's hard not to be a homer once you've lived in literaly the most naturally beautiful city in the world :wink:

I've lived in both cities...

Damn it you win :down:

Back
Top Bottom