MERGED --> Van Halen Reunite w/David Lee Roth + David Lee Roth is back in Van Halen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chrisedge said:
Look who's stage they seemed to copy....

stage.jpg

Who's ? Doesn't look like U2's if that's what you're getting at

I agree, it looks similar to U2, but hey, I'd take it as a compliment. I've got no idea why DLR slagged U2/Bono during VH's press conference. But, obviously, DLR has got U2 on his mind (or else he wouldn't have slagged them) so I think it's possible that DLR/VH might've been influenced by U2's stage set-up. Or maybe even might've "borrowed" some ideas for a more interactive concert experience such as the stage surrounding a certain portion of the floor seats. Stay tuned.

Hey MrPryck2U, DLR did not slag U2 at all...he made a small joke about Bono saving the world, but who doesn't these days...:shrug: Seriously Larry bags on Bono about that constantly.

As for the stage...it is very similar to the last two stages U2 has used...I agree with MrPryck...it's a compliment and a great design...:yes:

It's been a while since I visited thsi site but when I happened across this thread, I figured I'd chime in.

First off, a little history. My very first concert was Van Halen in a club in 1977 over a year before they released their first album. I've literally seen them every tour (except in '88 for the OU812 album stadium tour) since day one and along with U2 and Bruce Springsteen, they've been the band I've kept up on since I got into 'em.

I personally have mixed feelings about this tour. Even if they had original bass player Michael Anthony, there's no way it would be like 1981 again (their absolute peak year). Plus, aside from maybe Axl Rose, no one but Eddie Van Halen has alienated more of the bands fanbase over the years with everything from talking crap about former band members to out and out lying about various situations with the band. The Monday press conference was great, but any long time fan looked at it with a healthy bit of cynicism. I mean, Eddie's called former singers Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone "brothers" as well and thoise guys got kicked to the curb.

Just to make my point, the official website which re-launched Monday had small pictures of the David Lee Roth era albums with Michael Anthony's photo on the debut album erased and replaced with Eddie's son on bass. That album was recorded in 1978 and Eddie's son wasn't even born until 1991. Fan uproar made *someone* fix thsoe images but the damage was done.

Anyway, regarding this tour, one key thing is the fact that Eddie's 16 year old song will be the new bass player. He has *never* played bass in public before and his entire previous stage experience goes back to appearing for 10 minutes onstage a show playing basic rythme guitar with his dad when Eddie did his (drunken) guitar solo on the 2004 tour. It's pretty much unprecedented to expose someone still in High School with almost no prior experience to playing arenas in such a high pressure gig right off the bat.

Also, I noticed no one commented on ticket prices. They'll range in the $65, $85 and $159 range with the premium seats in the first 20 rows outside that "money pit" (come on, it looks like a dollar sign from above) priced at $300 - $350 and the seats (yes, it's reserved seating inside the pit - boo!) at a whopping $550 - $695 depending on the city! Surprisingly when the premium tickets went on sale for the first 4 - 6 shows today, they all sold out within an hour.

I'll post more in a day or so.

T.B.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Hey MrPryck2U, DLR did not slag U2 at all...he made a small joke about Bono saving the world, but who doesn't these days...:shrug: Seriously Larry bags on Bono about that constantly.

Yeah I didn't think DLR was slagging Bono, just making a joke, and sounded somewhat complimentary to me.

Partyslammer said:
It's been a while since I visited thsi site but when I happened across this thread, I figured I'd chime in.

First off, a little history. My very first concert was Van Halen in a club in 1977 over a year before they released their first album. I've literally seen them every tour (except in '88 for the OU812 album stadium tour) since day one and along with U2 and Bruce Springsteen, they've been the band I've kept up on since I got into 'em.

I personally have mixed feelings about this tour. Even if they had original bass player Michael Anthony, there's no way it would be like 1981 again (their absolute peak year). Plus, aside from maybe Axl Rose, no one but Eddie Van Halen has alienated more of the bands fanbase over the years with everything from talking crap about former band members to out and out lying about various situations with the band. The Monday press conference was great, but any long time fan looked at it with a healthy bit of cynicism. I mean, Eddie's called former singers Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone "brothers" as well and thoise guys got kicked to the curb.

Just to make my point, the official website which re-launched Monday had small pictures of the David Lee Roth era albums with Michael Anthony's photo on the debut album erased and replaced with Eddie's son on bass. That album was recorded in 1978 and Eddie's son wasn't even born until 1991. Fan uproar made *someone* fix thsoe images but the damage was done.

Anyway, regarding this tour, one key thing is the fact that Eddie's 16 year old song will be the new bass player. He has *never* played bass in public before and his entire previous stage experience goes back to appearing for 10 minutes onstage a show playing basic rythme guitar with his dad when Eddie did his (drunken) guitar solo on the 2004 tour. It's pretty much unprecedented to expose someone still in High School with almost no prior experience to playing arenas in such a high pressure gig right off the bat.

Also, I noticed no one commented on ticket prices. They'll range in the $65, $85 and $159 range with the premium seats in the first 20 rows outside that "money pit" (come on, it looks like a dollar sign from above) priced at $300 - $350 and the seats (yes, it's reserved seating inside the pit - boo!) at a whopping $550 - $695 depending on the city! Surprisingly when the premium tickets went on sale for the first 4 - 6 shows today, they all sold out within an hour.

I'll post more in a day or so.

T.B.

I feel you on that post...as for ticket prices...shit, every "HUGE" band charges prices at that range or greater...:shrug:

I don't feel the $69-$159 range is out of line :shifty: however I'm still waiting for the NY prices I'm sure they'll be higher

Reggie Thee Dog said:

As for the stage...it is very similar to the last two stages U2 has used...I agree with MrPryck...it's a compliment and a great design...:yes:

I guess in my little bizarro world it appeared as if DLR was slagging the B-man, but maybe they were simply friendly jibes. But, to me, if you tell folks that you're NOT going to be like this person or like that tour, it could possibly come off as an unflattering remark. Either way, I'm very curious to see how this tour pans out for VH. I've been a VH fan since the early 80's and like everyone else, been patiently waiting for this "revision" tour. They all look relatively healthy, so that's a good start. Too bad Eddie decided to go to rehab roughly a week before VH was inducted into the RnRHOF. I mean he only had several months to decide if he was going go to rehab before VH's induction into the HOF. But, hey why question Eddie's timing?

Re: Van Halen Reunite w/David Lee Roth...

Reggie Thee Dog said:
but not with original bassist Michael Anthony...:tsk:

While I've been looking forward to this for many years, I'm disappointed that it's not a full reunion of the Classic Van Halen team but :shrug:

It is what it is and either way I'll grab a ticket, because as odd and goofy as he is, David Lee Roth knows how to put on a great show. :rockon:

Can't wait to hear them play "Jamie's Cryin' " or "Jump" live with Roth again (even if he can't sing :lol: )

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1551546/20070202/van_halen.jhtml

Now the real question....will it make it unscathed through 40 shows? :hmm:

and in other news .....The Spice Girls have reunited......who gives a shit about those over the hill has-beens

I don't care what DLR says about bono or the rest of U2-VH aren't comming to Dallas. That's what MY beef is.

I got my tickets today. I went for the $90 level. I'm one section away from the main stage, pretty good seats IMO. Looking forward to the trainwreck! :wink:

I'm pretty sure we will get the standard DLR greatest VH hits setlist which is good. I wish though they would throw out some old classics that are not was well known. IE "In A Simple Rhyme" or "Drop Dead Legs".

the stage setup is pretty killer but do you theyre worth seeing?
I hope i can afford seeing the police again and seeing van halen

Re: Re: Van Halen Reunite w/David Lee Roth...

buzzkill27 said:

and in other news .....The Spice Girls have reunited......who gives a shit about those over the hill has-beens

Aerosmith?

I love your username, btw.

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
the stage setup is pretty killer but do you theyre worth seeing?
I hope i can afford seeing the police again and seeing van halen

Too see Dave and Eddie share the same stage for 2 hours is worth the price of admission alone! :wink:

My take is that its going to be really cool or its going to be a trainwreck. Either way I want to see it! :)

Blue Room said:

I'm pretty sure we will get the standard DLR greatest VH hits setlist which is good. I wish though they would throw out some old classics that are not was well known. IE "In A Simple Rhyme" or "Drop Dead Legs".
Supposedly Wolfgang is largely responsible for the selection of the 25 songs they've been rehearsing thus far.
I think you'll see 1 or 2 less well known tunes in a show, hopefully something like "Fools" or "On Fire", but either way, as long as EVH is on top of it, this'll be a show worth the price of admission.

Hewson said:
Supposedly Wolfgang is largely responsible for the selection of the 25 songs they've been rehearsing thus far.
I think you'll see 1 or 2 less well known tunes in a show, hopefully something like "Fools" or "On Fire", but either way, as long as EVH is on top of it, this'll be a show worth the price of admission.

They've definately rehearsed some deep cuts that either Van Halen or Roth solo haven't played since the early 80's including "Light Up The Sky" and "Bottom's Up."

Although they've been claiming to be rehearsing 25 songs, I don't see them playing more than 20 at the very most which would still put the set as among the longest they've ever played. In addition, this is not a band that varies it's setlist from show to show like Springsteen or even U2. You'll be able to count on one hand for teh entire tour the number of changes that might happen in the setlist. Also, It has already been established Eddie, Alex and even Wolfgang will get solo spots so that's going to eat up almost a half hour of the show right off.

T.B.

they are too old, prices are too high. and no michael anthony? wtf! i don't care how good eddie's son is, only one man can rock the Jack Daniels bass!!

still, i've always wanted to see van halen with diamond dave rightfully back at the helm. so, i dunno.

i still get the feeling this will implode before it even gets off the ground. the police reunion may have proven that cash can heal all wounds, but there may be too much acrimony between dlr and the former mr. bertinelli.

Partyslammer said:

Also, It has already been established Eddie, Alex and even Wolfgang will get solo spots so that's going to eat up almost a half hour of the show right off.

T.B.
It wouldn't be a Van Halen show without solos, I look forward to Eddie's, once saw him do a 13 minute solo(was checking the time) that was just mind boggling. When he's on, there's none better. I can do without the drum solo(nless your Bonzo or have a gimmick like Tommy Lee's spinning, flying drum kit, it just bogs a show down), and I would hope Wolfie will get a very short bass solo just for kicks.

I don't expect them to play 25 songs a night, 20 would be about right, but hopefully they'll mix a few songs up from show to show( I don't expect Pearl Jam-esque sets from them), so if they do 2 Boston shows, there'll be at least some difference as I'm apt to go twice.

Partyslammer said:

They've definately rehearsed some deep cuts that either Van Halen or Roth solo haven't played since the early 80's including "Light Up The Sky" and "Bottom's Up."

I just hope Eddie has his chops back to play those songs. In 2004 he didnt at all. I didnt even recognize Unchained until Sammy started singing the lyrics. "Light Up The Sky" will be tough for him to do if he is not on top of his game again. Will be cool though if he is on top of it and they do it. I still think its going to be primarily the greatest hits like Roth has been doing solo for the most part. Just wont have Yankee Rose, Gigolo, etc.. I hope the deeper cuts take the place of those songs.

Are they going to do any songs from the Van Hagar days?

I know Sammy Hagar sang Roth-era stuff when they went on tour back in the 80s and early 90s, but has Roth ever sang Hagar-era stuff(Dreams, Why Can't This Be Love, Love Walks In, When It's Love, Right Now, etc)?

namkcuR said:
Are they going to do any songs from the Van Hagar days?

I know Sammy Hagar sang Roth-era stuff when they went on tour back in the 80s and early 90s, but has Roth ever sang Hagar-era stuff(Dreams, Why Can't This Be Love, Love Walks In, When It's Love, Right Now, etc)?

Dave singing Van Hagar songs...:lmao:

Uh, that would be negatory my good man. Dave's ego is much too big to sing Hagar era songs...:shrug:

There are spoilers floating around about the rehearsal show. Saw it on Zootopia, if anyone is interested :shifty: I'm sure it's on other sites as well.

Me too...they'll be playing "Stairway to Heaven" "Black Dog" "The Immigrant Song"....wait...:uhoh: am I in the wrong thread now?

Hey Lila, you're close to the LA Forum run down and see if you can't track Dave or Eddie down...:yes:

I would have been there on 9/19 if the White Stripes hadn't cancelled the rest of their tour :sad:

No interest in seeing this re-incarnation. Saw them at the US Festival back in '83. That's enough for me. And I like some of the Van Hagar trax, so.... :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom