MERGED ----> The Killers - Sam's Town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the Killers' boards:

Complete Setlist (Los Angeles 10/7/2006):

crazy circus intro music
1. Sam's Town (Ronnie hit gong at the end)
2. Enterlude
3. When You Were Young
4. Somebody Told Me
5. Smile Like You Mean It
6. Bones
7. Bling
8. Read My Mind
9. Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
10. Andy, You're a Star
11. For Reasons Unknown
12. Mr. Brightside (Ronnie hit the gong few times before song)
---encore---
13. My List
14. Uncle Jonny
15. All These Things That I've Done (Brandon jumped onto the big piano)
16. Exitlude

Anu said:
From the Killers' boards:

Complete Setlist (Los Angeles 10/7/2006):

crazy circus intro music
1. Sam's Town (Ronnie hit gong at the end)
2. Enterlude
3. When You Were Young
4. Somebody Told Me
5. Smile Like You Mean It
6. Bones
7. Bling
8. Read My Mind
9. Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
10. Andy, You're a Star
11. For Reasons Unknown
12. Mr. Brightside (Ronnie hit the gong few times before song)
---encore---
13. My List
14. Uncle Jonny
15. All These Things That I've Done (Brandon jumped onto the big piano)
16. Exitlude

Great setlist, I just hope that by next year they have worked "The River is Wild" and "Why do I keep counting" into the setlist. I also have a guilty pleasure of "Glamorous Indie Rock'n'Roll."

Too many people are just too anxious to bash this album. Many of you were waiting with your axes for this album to be released to let the bashing begin. It never even had a chance. The fact that you people bash "Bones" because it has horns in it is rediculous. The horns add to the music... just because they're horns doesn't mean they're automatically selling out. I think everyone just needs to stop being the witty, ironic critic of everything, and just try to actually enjoy something. This album is the best thing to happen to me in awhile, I haven't gotten into an album like this since HTDAAB, where I didn't want to eject it from my CD player.

Sam's Town will be a failure in the US. Not because it's a bad album, but because people had already convinced themselves they weren't going to like it. Everyone was convinced that it couldn't possibly be better than Hot Fuss, so they went to listen to it with an extremely critical ear. I think this album blows Hot Fuss into the ground.

You know, looking at the new album track-by-track, I don't really dislike it any more than the first album. And I liked the first album as a whole.

Maybe I just see the two albums in different lights because on Hot Fuss all the great songs were one-after-another on the first half of the record followed by crap and more crap.

Sam's Town has the crap lovingly smeared all around the gems like Read My Mind and River.

The_acrobat said:
Too many people are just too anxious to bash this album. Many of you were waiting with your axes for this album to be released to let the bashing begin. It never even had a chance. The fact that you people bash "Bones" because it has horns in it is rediculous. The horns add to the music... just because they're horns doesn't mean they're automatically selling out. I think everyone just needs to stop being the witty, ironic critic of everything, and just try to actually enjoy something. This album is the best thing to happen to me in awhile, I haven't gotten into an album like this since HTDAAB, where I didn't want to eject it from my CD player.

Sam's Town will be a failure in the US. Not because it's a bad album, but because people had already convinced themselves they weren't going to like it. Everyone was convinced that it couldn't possibly be better than Hot Fuss, so they went to listen to it with an extremely critical ear. I think this album blows Hot Fuss into the ground.

:lol:

Yeah, everyone's out to get the poor ol' Killers, aren't they? I mean, it's ridiculous to think that some people might GENUINELY DISLIKE this album. God forbid...:huh:

I never said that the horns in "Bones" equated to "selling out." I mean, they're The Killers - not the most underground or innovative band to begin with - I don't think you could even make the argument that they've sold out since they've been seen as somewhat of a mainstream band since the beginning. And, in my opinion, the horns do NOT add to the music whatsoever - if anything, they detract from it because they're so cheesy and out-of-place. I've heard horns used to good effect in songs before, but they really aren't used very well in this case at all.

And I just want to mention again how ridiculous it is to insinuate that everyone who doesn't like the album was "waiting with their axes" before the album came out, or even that everyone convinced themselves that it "couldn't be better than Hot Fuss." Hot Fuss wasn't some kind of perfect milestone of an album - it definitely had its flaws (it's generally accepted that the second half was kind of spotty in parts), and it could definitely have been improved upon. To be honest, I'm still hoping that they manage to put all the pieces together on the third album, even though if they keep going in this direction I don't see that happening.

I actually think I'm beginning to agree with Canadiens as far as the overall quality goes. I think if you compare every individual part of the album, this release is on about the same level as Hot Fuss in quality. However, the crappy parts are more widespread and even make their way into songs that are otherwise fairly well-written. I also personally feel that some of the crap in this album is a bit more glaringly obvious than in the last album, which obviously detracts from my listening experience as a whole. At this point, I really can't bring myself to listen to the album as a whole, but I can listen to some individual songs and enjoy them. I think a lot of them work better out of the context of the album, but that might just be me.

The_acrobat said:
his album is the best thing to happen to me in awhile, I haven't gotten into an album like this since HTDAAB, where I didn't want to eject it from my CD player.

Agreed. It has 'that feeling.'

Like it's protein and caffeine, need a daily dose.

Now, I am ritually getting ready for the day with Sam's Town pumping from the speakers.

I LOVE THIS CD ... i took a few listens its kinda like pop or zooropa (for me anyway) in that respect that it took a few listens to understand it but it really could be great i can't stop listening to it. I think its better than hot fuss.

Haven't read the whole thread, and I don't own, let alone even heard, either of the Killers' albums, but a lot of the sentiment that seems to be expressed is a prime example of elitism.

People are letting the the "problem" of authenticity get in the way of the sheer enjoyment of the music. Forget whether there is a blatant Springsteen influence or it might sound like Hot Fuss Part 2. As long as the band is enjoying what they are doing and the people are enjoying the music they make.

The sentiment on this forum is oh so reminiscent of the immediate (and often prejudicial) reaction to Coldplay's X & Y, U2's HTDAAB, REM's Around The Sun....

Tall Poppy Syndrome on the part of the musical elites...

It's very early days though....how can one really make a sound judgement, without being prejudicial or reading too much into the band's history, personality or success?

I didn't even think about Hot Fuss until the cd was over because there was no point comparing them they're different albums and different influences and ideas created i didn't expect anything of it and i dont with any cd i buy i cant be bothered to compare a bands current album with old ones

I like it as much as Hot Fuss. I think it could have been mixed better. But I'm a perfectionist.

Wow. That last post reminds me of what a lot of the Interference members said about How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb in comparison with All That You Can't Leave Behind.... Hmmm. :|

Great album! Definite grower! Damn, after my first listen on October 3rd I never thought I'd end up liking this album so much. The only song that stood out initially was When You Were Young and everything else sounded boring as hell. But after the 3rd or 4th listen, I can see myself really enjoying tracks such as Sam's Town, Bling, Read My Mind, The River Is Wild and to a slightly lesser extent, For Reasons Unknown, Uncle Jonny, Bones, My List and Why Do I Keep Counting. The Springsteen influence seems most apparent on River is Wild where.. damn, it almost sounds like a Springsteen cover! with the classic Mary reference and everything! (if my ears heard right) But hey, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! I also like the enterlude and exitlude, they form nice bookends to the majority of the songs. And even though it's probably not a concept album per say, many of the songs sound similar enough (to me at least) to be bookended like that. But wow, what a rewarding listen! So different from Hot Fuss which I still thoroughly enjoy and yet so enjoyable. This album is not meant to be dismissed after the first listen!

Read My Mind is as close to another Things That I've Done as they can get on this album - so it's awesome.

Other tracks might be growers for me in 3 weeks.

Okay, this may seem like a total 180 from what I posted this morning. But it really isn't. Listened to Hot Fuss on the way back from work and damn, is that an impressive album?!! I do definitely prefer it to Sam's Town. All These Things, Jenny, Smile, On Top, Andy, Change Your Mind, Natalie, Everything... so many fantastic songs and that's not even including the 2 huge singles I didn't mention! Maybe it's that european dance sound, I don't know. Or maybe it's the beautiful melodies in songs like Change Your Mind. I love Sam's Town but still lean towards the sheer joy of Hot Fuss.

without the horns on Bones, the verses and last 2 choruses would be boring, lame, and repetitive. the horns are amazing.

Hot Fuss was amazing, maybe suffering from weaker lyrics, other than that it had amazing songs and musicianship. but i can't find anything wrong with Sam's Town.

it doesn't matter if this album does well in the US (fyi, it's #2 on Billboard in this country, #1 in the UK and Ireland), The Killers are here to stay. i agree somewhat when people say they're not as original as great bands like U2. but the Killers take many things that a lot of different bands try to do, and do it way better. i'm hoping they don't shy away from change, and their 3rd album breaks through the musical image from the first 2 albums, but bands that make it usually do.

btw, what if the next full length U2 album (if we ever get one :huh: ) isn't better than this?? HTDAAB certianly isn't better than this. 2 crap albums, right? U2 should be scared.

discothequeLP said:
btw, what if the next full length U2 album (if we ever get one :huh: ) isn't better than this?? HTDAAB certianly isn't better than this. 2 crap albums, right? U2 should be scared.

Wow. Hot Fuss is a great album, I love it from start to finish, pretty much. Sam's Town is a decent sophomore effort, don't like it as much as Hot Fuss, but I'm sure it'll grow on me.

The Killers aren't even in the same hemisphere as U2. Not even close. It's like someone comparing October to Abbey Road. The potential may be there, but they have a hell of a long way to go.

5 million albums (Hot Fuss sales) is a lot. with all the hype coming on after that, i don't think Sam's Town is going to do so badly either. The Killers tour as hard as any band out there, and put on great shows. sure, there's a long way to go, U2 has been around 10x longer than the have. not many other bands are coming close.

just bought it...haven't heard any of it yet. but I am intrigued after reading this thread....

it seems very much love/hate.

Back
Top Bottom