MERGED ----> the Euro 2004 thread + Say a little pray for France + England 1 France 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FizzingWhizzbees said:
Or maybe the team had just been practising their penalties. :D

No they had not. That was big news here in the Netherlands. Not surprisingly, considering the history.

So this only adds to the discussion whether or not you can train on these kind of things.

I think this was a victory of team spirit

this is the first time I can remember since 1988 that the dutch team looked like a real team

they're probably even more a group of friends than back in 1988 (when we won the Euro Cup), but we had more quality back then

in this tournament anything can happen
and somehow we're still there

Yeah, I liked the spirit. In the post-match interviews they said they all had the feeling/intention of "we are going to win this shoot-out!" :)

*still thinks the 1998 team had lots of quality too*

Is it then true after all, what they say of the sixteen-year-gaps?
;)

holland have the potential now to go on and win the whole thing. but i still say that anyone who wants to win will have to beat czech republic.

as for england, it makes me laugh reading the english press. arrogant is a word that springs to mind. CAN NO ONE ELSE SEE THEY ARE A BAD SIDE!!!! lots of people, including in here were tipping them to win, which i find unbelievable.

they beat 2 bad teams and all of a sudden they are the best team in the world, but the fact is they couldnt beat 2 good teams, ie france and portugal, come to think of it when is the last time they did beat a good team?

anyway, czech - holland final for me

gav6519 said:
holland have the potential now to go on and win the whole thing. but i still say that anyone who wants to win will have to beat czech republic.

as for england, it makes me laugh reading the english press. arrogant is a word that springs to mind. CAN NO ONE ELSE SEE THEY ARE A BAD SIDE!!!! lots of people, including in here were tipping them to win, which i find unbelievable.

they beat 2 bad teams and all of a sudden they are the best team in the world, but the fact is they couldnt beat 2 good teams, ie france and portugal, come to think of it when is the last time they did beat a good team?

anyway, czech - holland final for me

i really cant see this dutch team beating portugal... ( unless it goes to penalties).

lets see hollands run - Germany was the better side in germany vs holland. Croatia almost beat them. Against latvia , 2 goals were very dubious. Sweden hit the post twice in a 0-0 draw.

czech Vs portugal final - i think portugal has it to go all the way..they should do away with out of form figo

except that we didn't even play Croatia
and that though we played horribly against germany there wasn't one side better than the other
we were twice as good as latvia
and hit the post ourself in the first 90 minutes against sweden and did play a bit better
I tend to agree

:D

Last edited:
well, I don't think we'll win the euro cup
but how this tournament has been going we have as good a chance as any team left

the czechs are the only team who have been consistently good
but one mediocre game against any of the team left could cost them the championship

so I'm not betting on anyone

DaveC said:
My new (UPDATED) predictions for the remainder of the tournament:

A1 Portugal vs B2 England: 2-1 England
B1 France vs A2 Greece: 3-0 France
C1 Sweden vs D2 Netherlands: 2-1 Sweden (3-1 on PK's)
D1 Czech Republic vs C2 Denmark: 1-0 Czech Republic

QFW1 England vs QFW3 Sweden: 3-2 England (SG)
QFW2 France vs QFW4 Czech Republic: 2-0 France

SFW1 England vs SFW2 France: 2-1 England

Bet on it. :wink:

:up:

Well, that was an easy win in the end. It wasn't a great match. The Czechs upped the tempo for 10-15 minutes in the second half and they scored three times. That's it. For the rest, the Danes had the most ball possession (around 60-65%), but they never really became dangerous. Effective play by the Czechs.

C ya!

Marty

The first half of that match was so dull that I didn't mind switching channels so we could watch Big Brother, then when I switched back they'd won 3-0 and I missed all the exciting bits. :madspit:

So Denmark and Swede, the Coutries that laugh so hard at us, are out...

So sorry....:wave:

And just a remark about the word "Spaghetties"
This ain't Italian!
Spaghetti is already a plural form. We don't add "es" to create plural words :tongue:

ohhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooo, i'm so sorry for denmark!!! .........:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 3-0 BYE BYE DENMARK BYE BYE!!! :wave: :wave: :wave: look what i've to do, i have to be happy that sweden and denmark have lost instead of being happy for italy's victory :mad: but now we got a new coach, and what a coach, marcello lippi, the music will change, we're coming again!!!......but meanwhile..... BYE BYE DENMARK AND SWEDEN, BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE!!!! THERE'S A LAW AND YOU'VE BEEN SMASHED OUT, YOU SWINDLERS, YOU SWINDLEEEEEEEERS!!! NEXT TIME BE FAIR, AND DON'T TRY TO TEACH TO OTHERS WHAT FAIR PLAY IS, BECAUSE YOU'RE FAKES!!!MAKE NO AGREEMENT YOU SWINDLERS!!!!...... so, i've said it....now it's getting better.... :wink: ....SWINDLERS!!!....ok, it's enough! :wink:

right back on the first page i predicted that greece would go far.....and they have

good to see england out.....dont deserve to make the qurater finals with a squad like that, nice league they got though....

shame bout germans, my personal favourites, ballack still top 3 players in europe though

sweden made the goal in the 89 min, 6 danish against 1 swedish, the goalie rejeted a so stupid and low shot just on the foot of the only swedish forward while 6 defence players were watching at him so helpessly.....come on, italy lost because of its fault, but denmark and sweden NEEDED a 2-2 to qualify both....and the 2-2 came, and it isn't simple at all to reach such a result for a coincidence in the LAST MINUTE (!), the fact is simple, and most of all it's a question of respect,...they've only lost their faces and their honour, they were dishonest, but anyway, it will never be an excuse for italy's failure....................VALENTINA, sono nerazzurro!!!! don't offend me saying that i'm a juve fan!! :wink: :wink: i'm a lippi fan because he's a great coach, we had him, but many around moratti couldn't stand him and that's why he failed ( e guarda cos'hanno combinato con gli altri 1000 allenatori! :wink: ) FORZA INTER! :wink:

ah well
at least all 3 of them lost

:D

at least holland has already met my expectations for this tournament
so - though I still hope we'll win the final of course - whatever happens now we can be proud of the team :up:

Back
Top Bottom