MERGED ----> the Euro 2004 thread + Say a little pray for France + England 1 France 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DrTeeth said:
Come on, there was one guy jumping for the ball and the other English guy was obviously there to block the goalie. All this happened in the small part of the penalty area (I don't know its name in English) where you're not allowed to attack the goalkeeper. Now if the English team hadn't been playing like 11 big girls after Owen's goal than they would have had more chances like that. It was bad tactics and that's why they lost.

If you watch the slow motions of the incident, you can see that both Terry & Campbell are looking only at the ball, not the keeper and both jump only for the ball - neither of them 'attacked' the goalie, they were trying to get the ball and have every right to occupy that space - they did not make any deliberate attempt to impede the keeper.
I agree with your comments about England's tactics btw - they did contribute to England's defeat, but it doesn't alter the fact that the goal should have stood.
Incidentally, I'm not sure where in the rules of football it refers to any particular part of the penalty area where the goalie has special protection - he's surely either fouled or he's not fouled, it doesn't matter where he is?

So who's your bet of winning this? Could France do it again, or is it Netherland's year? Point-wise, Czech Republic is far ahead.

If Portugal ends up winning, I could just hear it now "Home Country advantage".... no matter how well they play.

DrTeeth said:
Come on, there was one guy jumping for the ball and the other English guy was obviously there to block the goalie. All this happened in the small part of the penalty area (I don't know its name in English) where you're not allowed to attack the goalkeeper. Now if the English team hadn't been playing like 11 big girls after Owen's goal than they would have had more chances like that. It was bad tactics and that's why they lost.

let me listen to what the dutch guys have to say about the penalty goal awarded in favor of them against Latvia and by
1-meter offside on the 2nd goal in same match.

if you compare it, the england goal was very clean one.

wasnt it

AcrobatMan said:
let me listen to what the dutch guys have to say about the penalty goal awarded in favor of them against Latvia and by
1-meter offside on the 2nd goal in same match.

What do you want us to say about it?
:eyebrow:

*indeed sees the difference in Davids being awarded a penalty against Latvia, while Van Nistelrooy didn't get one against the Czech Republic*

It was no goal. The guy had his arm clearly right in the keeper's face.

Good call by the ref on that one. Still said they lost though :down:

I hope Jerome Rothen plays tonight, even for two minutes. I've become a bit of a fan after his exploits with AS Monaco in this year's Champions League.

I think Santini needs to drop Makelele and play Zidane and Vieira in the middle, put Pires on the left, and drop Trezeguet for Saha or even Luyindula.

But then I don't pick the team.

I really should have visited this forum before...could have vented my spleen several times.

Anyway, I have one thing to say to France:

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: HA! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

I'm supporting the scandinavians now, their fans are great :)

About the game:

:ohmy:

Not the quality of course, but Greece beating France.
:ohmy:

Still, based on tonights game Greece deserved to win. France did play dire (no, not pretty :))

greece showed that many teams are just too superficial and vainglorious, portugal, spain and france just thought they were too good to play with determination, strength and most of all RESPECT....so, this is the right end they deserved, like italy and germany, except portugal of course, they woke up after the rabbit punch against the greeks!.....now, i think the final's gonna be czech republic against portugal :wink:

No, that wasn't a goal, not even a half one. Barthez stopped it before it crossed the line. Remember that the ball has to cross the line in full to be counted. Based on the video, it didn't. It was close though. :wink:

I don't much care who wins, but I'm not a fan of Greece or Portugal. I like the Czechs, they're fun to watch.

:( Sweden is my team of choice (they have the best colours), but my orange Netherlands bear is happy that the Dutch have won.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
How many penalty shoot-outs do we need? :sad: All you Dutch fans must be really happy tonight! :hyper: :happy:

YES WE ARE!!!
:hyper:
:dance:

As for penalty shoot-outs, we got rid of our 'internal enemy'. We lost four of them in the last five tournaments (not counting this one, but 1992, (not 1994 when we went out in regular time) 1996, 1998 and 2000), but finally we won one again.

Popmartijn said:

YES WE ARE!!!

As for penalty shoot-outs, we got rid of our 'internal enemy'. We lost four of them in the last five tournaments (not counting this one, but 1992, (not 1994 when we went out in regular time) 1996, 1998 and 2000), but finally we won one again.

Enjoy your celebrations! :hyper:

Just before the penalties started the commentators on English tv were talking about their record on penalty shoot-outs...I guess after losing the last four it was time you had some luck! Or maybe the team had just been practising their penalties. :D

Back
Top Bottom