MERGED ----> The Darjeeling Limited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

impy13

ONE love, blood, life
The Darjeeling Limited

Unabashed Wes Anderson fanboy that I am, I can't help but start a thread celebrating the release of the trailer of his newest film. I just watched it for the first time, and holy shit I'm excited.

smielephantin7.gif
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/thedarjeelinglimited/
smielephantin7.gif

Aww, yeah man. I knew there was a good reason this has been my second most anticipated film of 2007.

That trailer is just oozing with W.A. qualities, and actually looks like it could be his most touching film to date. It's also got one hell of an ensemble with Wilson, Brody and the absolutely stellar Jason Swartzman (I'm so happy him and Anderson are finally reuniting!) :happy:

The Life Aquatic colour palette for the promo poster made me keekle :lol:

The very Mark Mothersbaugh-sounding music in the first half of the trailer gives this film a very familiar tone as well, even before I sit down to watch it in theatres. Ah well, Wes always sets a tone I can jive with, so :up:

Last edited:
I'm cautiously excited about this film. I hope it'll be great.

I keep waiting for Wes to strike out, but he never does--it's just one solid, stand-up double after another. Here's hoping for more of the same.

I know what you're saying. I was cautiously excited for The Life Aquatic too. The law of averages says he's going to make a clunker at some point. TLA was the only Wes film I didn't absolutely adore immediately, but I obviously do now. It's one of my favorite films of all time and it's not even in the top 50% of Wes' output:

Tenenbaums
Rushmore
The Life Aquatic
Bottle Rocket

The fact that the Darjeeling Limited is going to land anywhere on that more or less insures that I'm going to love it. Fanboy I may be, but he's an awfully nice thing to be a fanboy of.

Truly.

Wes is easily in my top echelon of modern directors. He has yet to create a film I don't love.

I've been watching Rushmore quite a bit recently, and it has a different quality to it than The Life Aquatic, almost like a lack of cynicism. I think that can be attributed to Noah Baumbach replacing Owen Wilson as the main co-writer.

The Life Aquatic is still my fave Anderson flick, and I can't wait to see Darjeeling.

Darjeeling is being co-written with Jason Swartzman. Should be interesting to see what new dynamic his writing brings to the formula.

I'm a Wes Anderson skeptic. I follow film a lot but I have no clue why he is as popular as he is.

His films are too similar to each other. There is a notable difference between Bottle Rocket and Rushmore, but for his films after that, it gets very sketchy. The composition schemes in the filmmaking look similar and the themes have more similarities than differences. Anderson makes films about dysfunctional relationships or families coming together. Darjeeling Limited makes it very obvious that that theme will not change either.

Other filmmakers try to change and evolve, but Anderson seems done. Like Kevin Smith, he seems to make films for a fan base only. I wish he'd challenge himself more often. Fantastic Fox will be a challenge so I'm hopeful he does that film well.

I'll see Darjeeling Limited to see if there is anything good, but my hopes aren't too high.

I thought there was an aesthetic difference between Rushmore/Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic.

Camera movements (more panning than usual, etc...), color choices (warm colors to the basic blue/yellow/red scheme), and like I said above, I think there was a level of cynicism in Life Aquatic compared to the rest. I'm sure someone else has more to say here.He stays similar, but still tries to move forward.

Wes Anderson :drool:

I watched "Bottle Rocket" the other night...such a funny film. I really can't decide with one of his films is my favorite though. They're all brilliant.

Love the trailer and Darjeeling is definitely my number 1 movie to see for 2007.

"Is that my belt?"

"Can I borrow it?"

The Darjeeling Limited (minor spoilers)

Big Wes Anderson fan (see my user name)...saw Darjeeling last night...

:drool:

I think "Darjeeling" marks a significant maturation in Anderson's writing and directing. This is his most honest, most grounded film. The majority of the characters in his previous films are all people I would love to meet, whereas the characters in "Darjeeling" are people I feel I already know. They are more true to life. "Darjeeling" doesn't have any over the top characters like a Steve Zissou, Max Fischer, or Royal Tenenbaum. The "Darjeeling" characters are certainly quirky and funny, but they came off as more real to me. The family dynamic was emotionally way more raw than "Tenenbaums" and I think the interaction between the brothers was exactly how a lot of siblings relate to each other. Their struggles struck a more palpable chord with me, whereas sometimes the emotional punch in his previous films take a backseat to the onscreen antics and witty/eccentric dialogue.

Visually it's the most beautiful film of the year. Every frame bursts with color and energy. There's a real organic feel to the cinematography and art direction. I liked how Anderson incorporated a lot more symbolism (the luggage, Adrien Brody holding the boy and then the baby, Owen Wilson's scars, etc.) as well.

Like a lot of Anderson's films they get even better with multiple viewings. I'd give "Darjeeling" a B+ / A-. I'm trying not to compare it to the previous movies because I really feel this is a different film.

I liked how the showing I saw screened "Hotel Chevalier" beforehand because it really fleshed out Schwartzman's character.

Re: The Darjeeling Limited (minor spoilers)

MaxFisher said:
Visually it's the most beautiful film of the year. Every frame bursts with color and energy. There's a real organic feel to the cinematography and art direction.

While I definitely agree with the second part, it's certainly not the most beautiful of the year, though likely in the top 5.

I have seen the previews several times at the theater the last few weeks.

And I really do like the Kinks songs.

Checking the sound track there are 3.

I think they are all in the preview.

Also, it seems like there is a lot of music by one Indian artist.

I am sure I will enjoy this on the big screen with a good sound system

Re: Re: The Darjeeling Limited (minor spoilers)

Lancemc said:

While I definitely agree with the second part, it's certainly not the most beautiful of the year, though likely in the top 5.

just curious, what films would you put in front of it?

So far, at least:

The Assassination of Jesse James (almost gaurenteed Best Cinematography)
Lust, Caution
Sunshine
and possibly Zodiac

The Curse of the Golden Flower was absolutely gorgeous to look at, which was a relief as the storyline was like an incestuous soap opera.

Absolutely loved it. My favorite film of the year.

One thing I love about seeing movies at the Alamo Drafthouse is the wide array of t shirts they sell, everything from Republicans For Voldemort to a silhouette of Rose McGowan in Planet Terror.

Fortunately for me, they had a few Darjeeling shirts on sale with the train's logo and a few elephants. I promptly snapped one up to complement my Team Zissou shirt.

Re: The Darjeeling Limited (minor spoilers)

MaxFisher said:

The "Darjeeling" characters are certainly quirky and funny, but they came off as more real to me. The family dynamic was emotionally way more raw than "Tenenbaums" and I think the interaction between the brothers was exactly how a lot of siblings relate to each other. Their struggles struck a more palpable chord with me, whereas sometimes the emotional punch in his previous films take a backseat to the onscreen antics and witty/eccentric dialogue.

. . . .

I liked how the showing I saw screened "Hotel Chevalier" beforehand because it really fleshed out Schwartzman's character.

:up:

Couldn't agree with you more. I just saw it last night. "Hotel Chevalier" was great and Natalie Portman is just beautiful, beautiful! She reminded me so much of Audrey Hepburn.

I think the "whimsy" in Darjeeling Ltd. took a backseat to the three brothers and their problems. Definitely more realistic characters with more realistic problems, as a result, a bit of a downer at times IMO.

Beautiful, gorgeous setting. Everything (set design, music, art direction, location shots, extras, etc.) worked almost pitch perfect in this film. My only complaint, and it's not really a complaint as it is more of an observation, at several, several points during the last 20 minutes or so, I thought the film was ending . . . . and then another scene would come and the film just kept going. It kind of made me feel like I was in a manual car with someone who didn't know how to drive stick. Just when I was preparing for the end, it would start up again and keep going. :shrug: Kind of weird, but not fatal. When the real ending did come, I felt it was a good, fine ending and left on an optimistic, upbeat note.

My one actual complaint: More Murray!!! I wanted more Bill Murray!!!! :sad:

Back
Top Bottom