MERGED ---> The Bravery sound like the younger U2... + The Bravery have covered U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They look like a pretty exciting band. There are a lot of bands around at the moment that are over-hyped in my view but the Bravery are interesting, they have an edge to them.

They do sound a bit like early U2! Particularly the singer. That "No Brakes" song is pretty good! I might even pick up their album when it's released...

Good God...I'm listening to the full album at NME, and it's actually amazing how much the singer sounds like young Bono. :ohmy: If The Bravery were to ever give "Boy" a try, they'd sound identical, at least in terms of vocals.

oh gods no, a real victory (?) for style over substance. :(

(And why is it that every new band now is 'reminiscent of early U2'?)

Last edited:
Err, can only see the resemblance to early U2 in the allovertheplace vocals and the punky rhythms. There's just too much synth and slick production in there, it's like Franz Ferdinand Instant Packages. Just brew and pour!

GibsonGirl said:
Good God...I'm listening to the full album at NME, and it's actually amazing how much the singer sounds like young Bono. :ohmy: If The Bravery were to ever give "Boy" a try, they'd sound identical, at least in terms of vocals.

I heard them cover "an cat dubh" in concert... and he came pretty darn close - its was very cool... i was hoping they would record an official version though ... but id settle for an mp3 of the live song...

thesuburbskill said:

I heard them cover "an cat dubh" in concert... and he came pretty darn close - its was very cool... i was hoping they would record an official version though ... but id settle for an mp3 of the live song...

Cool, that must mean the band are U2 fans too! :up:

I'm really starting to like The Bravery, based on their debut album. It's not perfect, but at least they've got spunk. I agree with financeguy - there are a lot of overhyped new bands floating around, but you might actually have to look out for these guys.

I like the Bravery alot. Have you heard 'Honest Mistake'? It's a really exciting song. I think it's better than Vertigo.

If they are one of those U2-influenced bands, I'm even more excited!

Can anybody give me the album details from The Bravery? How many albums do they have out? Is there another on the way? Just curious if there's another album before the one that features "Honest Mistake".

there's a video stream of a show they did on http://www.fabchannel.com/

maybe they played the cover at that show, i have no idea. i can't sit through more than 20 seconds of them without wanting to shoot their singer.

GibsonGirl said:
They do sound a bit like early U2! Particularly the singer. That "No Brakes" song is pretty good! I might even pick up their album when it's released...

Ha! When I listen to "No Brakes" I hear a touch of early The Church (not as good of guitarists though ;) ). Mostly in the chorus of the song...towards the end it goes to a more Bono sound. And in "An Honest Mistake" I heard both U2 and New Order.

Unfortunately, in the three songs I have heard so far, they sound like someone else instead of developing their own sound. Perhaps they have in other songs, or maybe they will as they continue, but if I want to hear U2, or New Order, or The Church I'd much rather listen to the originals.

I don't mind a band occasionally sonding like another band. I think Wilco sounds like The Replacements on "I'm A Wheel" and Remy Zero sounds like Queen on a song on Villa Elaine (I forgot which song). But in these three songs ("An Honest Mistake," "Unconditional," "No Brakes") I just don't hear much that I consider original.

Doesn't mean they suck, it just means I most likely wouldn't go by their cd.

IWasBored said:
there's a video stream of a show they did on http://www.fabchannel.com/

maybe they played the cover at that show, i have no idea. i can't sit through more than 20 seconds of them without wanting to shoot their singer.

I'm now really interested to know why.... I just listened to a few of their songs (meh), but can't really do video on this pc (antiquated pos). So tell me what makes this guy so annoying. I gotta know! :D

indra said:

I'm now really interested to know why.... I just listened to a few of their songs (meh), but can't really do video on this pc (antiquated pos). So tell me what makes this guy so annoying. I gotta know! :D

i just don't like his voice.

IWasBored said:

i just don't like his voice.

Damn! I was hoping for some funky twitch or making sick little fishy lips when singing or something fun like that. ;)

I thought they'd been covering it for a while...but maybe I'm slow and blueeyedgirl was sarcastically pointing this out in her post since I think New Order have been playing Atmosphere and Love Will Tear Us apart for the past five years at least. :confused:

meegannie said:
I thought they'd been covering it for a while...but maybe I'm slow and blueeyedgirl was sarcastically pointing this out in her post since I think New Order have been playing Atmosphere and Love Will Tear Us apart for the past five years at least. :confused:

OMG rEaLlY??? i thout nEw orDER rotE those SoNgz!!!LOLXZZ

you're probably right. it's just that so many people aren't aware of certain things until 5 years have gone by. i mean, there are people think the clash were "rock the casbah", "should i stay or should i go", and maybe, MAYBE "train in vain". :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom