MERGED ---> The Bravery sound like the younger U2... + The Bravery have covered U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys, cut me some slack! New Order haven't toured Australia, well not my part of Australia at least, since 1985! And I spent that night glaring up at Peter Hook (and he glared right back! hee hee) from the front of the stage cos back then they were really Messrs and Ms Excitable (NOT!)
:wink:

(and then they didn't play any JD)

That's interesting, I read somewhere that they'd covered An Cat Dubh at an earlier date as well! Looks like they like Boy. I'd love to hear either of these covers...

GibsonGirl said:
That's interesting, I read somewhere that they'd covered An Cat Dubh at an earlier date as well!

That may have been what I heard as well. I can't really like the Bravery because of the lead singer's hair/dress sense/the lead singer in general. Though I've heard only part of one song (like 10,000 times :mad: ).

indra said:

Ha! When I listen to "No Brakes" I hear a touch of early The Church (not as good of guitarists though ;) ). Mostly in the chorus of the song...towards the end it goes to a more Bono sound. And in "An Honest Mistake" I heard both U2 and New Order.

Unfortunately, in the three songs I have heard so far, they sound like someone else instead of developing their own sound. Perhaps they have in other songs, or maybe they will as they continue, but if I want to hear U2, or New Order, or The Church I'd much rather listen to the originals.

I don't mind a band occasionally sonding like another band. I think Wilco sounds like The Replacements on "I'm A Wheel" and Remy Zero sounds like Queen on a song on Villa Elaine (I forgot which song). But in these three songs ("An Honest Mistake," "Unconditional," "No Brakes") I just don't hear much that I consider original.

Doesn't mean they suck, it just means I most likely wouldn't go by their cd.

Heh, I know what you mean. ;) They're not exactly the most original band out there at the moment (everyone's starting to sound like The Killers, it seems) but I still like them a lot. I did buy the album eventually, and I really like it. It's obvious that they've got quite a bit of U2 influence (heck, they're even covering U2 live!) but I think they do have great potential. And from what I hear, they're very good in the live setting.

I wouldn't write them off completely based on those three songs, though. There's a few songs on the debut that I think are actually quite a bit better than the singles so far. I think "Rites of Spring," "Give In," and "Swollen Summer" are pretty darn good. And they're a little less 'synth-heavy' than some of the others. If you're interested in hearing any other songs, I could put up some YSI links. :wink:

meegannie said:

That may have been what I heard as well. I can't really like the Bravery because of the lead singer's hair/dress sense/the lead singer in general. Though I've heard only part of one song (like 10,000 times :mad: ).

Probably. Heh, and cut poor Sam some slack! :wink: Remember the mullet? *shudder*

You should check out some of The Bravery's other songs. You've probably been hearing "An Honest Mistake" hundreds of times because it's their latest single. I don't like that song half as much as some of the other songs on the album.

I guess I'm not the only one who notices The Church sound thing.... :D

I got this from MSNBC.com audio reviews.

The Bravery, “The Bravery”
If you spent your teen years in the 1980s holed up in your bedroom, listening to New Wave, dressing in black and wearing your dad’s trench coat to school, you probably won’t enjoy The Bravery’s debut release.

There’s nothing new here. Nothing original. Nothing that doesn’t make you say, “That sounds like The Cure-The Smiths-The Church.”

But for those born in the ’80s who missed the good stuff, the recycled version must be an adequate substitute because The Bravery is selling out shows like crazy. It’s all here — the synthesizers, the drum machines, the angst. And it’s darn catchy.

The songs are simple, the lyrics are cliche-laden and all you need is one listen to start singing along. The Bravery’s Sam Endicott sounds most like The Church’s lead singer, Steve Kilbey, but with less talent. His voice is so synthetic, so distorted, so electronic. He says he decided to start a band in 2001, declaring he wanted to be in charge and he wanted to sing even though he “can’t sing a note.” He was right.

But the band seems more about style than substance anyway. Their poseur looks with tight pants, over-gelled hair and goofy Adam Ant-ish makeup are as overproduced as this CD.
—Kim Curtis

So check out the originals!

(Not the Under The Milky Way best of cd....the production on that sucks big time. :yuck: Not even hardcore fans like that cd. )

I'd like to hear this U2 cover myself. Praz is covering U2 as well doing "ISHFWILF." It's neat to see people covering the boys.

Darn, I thought you had it. :( Thanks for making me look into this thread for nothing! :mad: :wink:

Since I live two hours away from the nearest HMV (or any good music shop for that matter - the best I have is Wal Mart), the odds of me finding the single are very slim. So if anyone has the single and is willing to share, I'd really appreciate it.

Needle_Chill said:
Can anybody give me the album details from The Bravery? How many albums do they have out? Is there another on the way? Just curious if there's another album before the one that features "Honest Mistake".

I think they only have one album out.

I saw a bit of Honest Mistake on MTV and I'm intrigued.

U2girl said:

I think they only have one album out.

I saw a bit of Honest Mistake on MTV and I'm intrigued.

Yep, they only have one album out. It's self titled, and I think it's a pretty good debut album. :up: I really like "Unconditional," "No Brakes," and "Rites Of Spring." People keep on comparing them to The Killers, but I think that's a bit unfair. They sound nothing like The Killers. The only similarity I see is that they both use synthesizers in some of their songs...but The Killers use far more synth than The Bravery. Oh, and they both have one completely unforgivable line - The Killers with "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier" and The Bravery with "You put the 'art' in 'retarded' " :wink:

Both the Bravery and the Killers are terrible. They rip off good bands like New Order, Joy Division, and even U2 and act like their the only thing that matters. I think both of those bands need to get there egos in check.

Back
Top Bottom