MERGED ----> The biggest trade since Babe Ruth + Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
The biggest trade since Babe Ruth

All I have to say is WOWZERS to the deal that NY Newsday is saying is near completion... only thing they're working out is the money, so it still could fall through, but it's unlikel. We've all heard the first part of the deal, but I'm absolutely shocked at the second part... and I'm guessing so are the Dodgers.

By Jon Heyman and Ken Davidoff
Staff Writers

December 17, 2003

The Red Sox moved a gigantic step closer to finishing the long-awaited trade for superstar Alex Rodriguez when they agreed yesterday to send shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the White Sox for outfielder Magglio Ordo?ez, contingent upon completion of the Rodriguez-for-Manny Ramirez megadeal, National League sources told Newsday yesterday.

The stunning agreement with Chicago potentially opens the Red Sox's shortstop position for Rodriguez, the 2003 American League MVP, and sets the table for Boston's greatest offseason ever. The Red Sox's probable double blockbuster would be a major coup for the historic and ill-fated franchise as it tries to break its 85-year championship jinx and the Yankees' stranglehold on the intense AL East.

The Red Sox, already a big winter winner after the acquisition of Curt Schilling, have had their sights set on Rodriguez for weeks as they aim to remake their lineup and clubhouse. Ordo?ez, who hit .317 with 29 homers and 99 RBIs last season, is a surprise bonus for Boston. Garciaparra hit .301 with 28 homers and 105 RBIs.

Baseball people believe the Rodriguez-Ramirez swap is inevitable now, and Rodriguez met yesterday in New York with Red Sox GM Theo Epstein and union lawyer Gene Orza, whose presence indicates Rodriguez might consider deferring some monies or reworking a part of his $252-million Rangers contract. Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, said he planned to take a late flight to New York last night to join the talks.

"They're going to get this deal done," said one person involved in the talks. Speaking of Rodriguez and Garciaparra, that person said, "Neither one can go back to their club. This is too far down the road."

Rodriguez is scheduled to appear this week on the Today Show, whose host, Katie Couric, is the girlfriend of Tom Werner, a Red Sox owner.

All sides were working feverishly late last night in hopes of wrapping up things soon. There was talk that commissioner Bud Selig, who's granted special permission for Red Sox owner John Henry to meet with Rodriguez, might set a quick deadline to resolve the matter.

There was word Rangers owner Tom Hicks still was hoping to get Boston to include cash in the deal. "He's trying to get the Red Sox to pay for his mistake. We all told him the $252-million contract was a mistake three years ago," one baseball executive said. Rodriguez has $179 million and seven years left on his deal. Ramirez has $97.5 million and five years remaining on his.

The Garciaparra-Ordo?ez deal makes sense for all parties involved but shocked the Dodgers, who were hoping to land either player to fortify their offense. Word of the deal also was said to have stunned Garciaparra, a California resident hoping to go to the Dodgers or Angels. Garciaparra does not have a no-trade clause and can do nothing to prevent the deal.

Boston will send reliever Scott Williamson along with Garciaparra to Chicago and the White Sox will send Boston two pitching prospects, provided the Rodriguez-Ramirez deal is completed. Boston probably will send some young pitchers to Texas along with Ramirez to sweeten the deal.

The White Sox had been shopping Ordo?ez, whom Chicago believed it would have no chance to re-sign when he becomes a free agent after this year.

Ordo?ez is to make $12 million in 2004, nearly the same salary as Garciaparra. White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf has an excellent relationship with Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem, and may have hopes he can lock up Garciaparra on a long-term deal.

Boston's Henry is conscious of public relations, and the smooth, smiling A-Rod fits better than Garciaparra, who's had a combative relationship with some of Boston's tough press. Rodriguez hit .298 with 47 home runs and 118 RBIs for Texas in 2003.

Boston had been seeking to find a taker for Ramirez, who annoyed them by calling in sick during an important late-season series with the Yankees. Ramirez hit .325 with 37 homers and 104 RBIs in 2003.

if this deal does in fact go through, and boston STILL can't win the world series, then we will forever know that the curse does in fact exist.

he's just sad that he is a reds fan

cheer up, you still got griffey!!

I like Nomar..:(

Is Danny Ainge making the trades for the Red Sox too? :eyebrow: Not that Alex Rodriguez isn't a good player, but Nomar is a good guy and part of the heart of that team. That doesn't matter though I guess :shrug:

As far as Ramirez, good riddance :D

nomahhh's no a-rod

ordonez puts up the same numbers as nomaaaah and is a pretty good defensive outfielder

a-rod is a better defensive shortstop than nomahhh, a better rbi guy than manny, a good guy in the club house and with the press, the chicks dig him, and he's a threat to surpass hang aaron, barry bonds and... gasp... babe ruth in all time homeruns(perhaps why the red sox want him so bad :hmm: reverse the curse baby)

if i'm theo epstein i pull off this deal in a heartbeat... they better themselves in every single way

Are you positive this is true? Because I haven't seen this news anywhere else. I would assume it would be "everywhere." I just want to make sure this is true?????

-A Dodger Fan

it's also on espn.com, and i think it's in a few boston and chicago papers as well, but don't quote me on that... just heard it on the radio...

espn.com

Reports circulated Wednesday that the Red Sox have conditionally agreed to trade shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the White Sox for Magglio Ordonez.

Newsday cited baseball sources for its report about the deal.
However, Newsday reported that the deal would be completed only if the Red Sox are able to acquire Alex Rodriguez from the Rangers for outfielder Manny Ramirez.

There were additional reports Wednesday that claimed the Red Sox would include pitchers Scott Williamson and Byung-Hyun Kim in a Garciaparra trade to Chicago, and still others said the White Sox, as a way to move salary, would then deal Garciaparra to the Dodgers.

Garciaparra does not have a no-trade clause, so Boston has the right to trade him to any team. Anaheim also has been mentioned as a possible Garciaparra trade destination.

Dodgers manager Jim Tracy would not confirm his team was interested in Garciaparra except to say, "We're looking for somebody to fit in the middle of our order."

"Nomar Garciaparra ... is a name that would fit in the middle of somebody's order," Tracy said at the winter meetings on Sunday. "That's what we're looking for."

The Red Sox have had arguably the busiest offseason, acquiring right-hander Curt Schilling from the Diamondbacks and signing former Athletics closer Keith Foulke. Adding Rodriguez and Ordonez would significantly alter a lineup that scored the most runs in the majors last season. The Red Sox were painfully close to reaching the World Series, but lost to the Yankees in an 11-inning Game 7 of the AL Championship Series.

Money has been the biggest obstacle in the Boston-Texas Rodriguez trade talks. Union lawyer Gene Orza was to present the Red Sox and Rodriguez with a restructured deal that is amenable to the Players' Association. If both parties sign off on the proposal, Rodriguez likely will be traded to Boston.

"The issue continues to be the essential difference between restructuring and reducing," Orza told The Boston Globe on Tuesday night. "We don't authorize reducing, we authorize restructuring. There has to be some added value to the player."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Okay, I am the only Cub fan living amonst white sox fans in my household. Even though I prefer the Cubs, what the White Sox are doing to thier team is just wrong. Yeah, okay so they got Nomar temporarily, but word is that they are trying to ship him along with Paul Konerko to the Dodgers. With Mags gone as well the Sox will have NOONE left but good for nothing Frank Thomas. What the :censored: is going on on the South Side?!

Well the (Red) Sox are smart to make the contingency deal with the (White) Sox for Nomar for Mags, the Dodgers were willing to part with a pair of minor leaguers for Nomaaaah, which is a bit of an insulting offer.

WildHoneyAlways said:
What the :censored: is going on on the South Side?!

Do you listen to THE SCORE (radio)? I thought I saw somewhere that you listen to it.

Anyway, I had it on during lunch yesterday, and they were talking about this rumor. White Sox are screwing themselves again...and the Southsiders are NOT going to be happy.

I am looking forward to see what they do with the NEW Comiskey though.

peter gammons... joe baseball as i like to call him... has confirmed that the nomaaaah for ordonez trade is a done deal, pending completion of the a-rod for manny deal... which seems also to be in it's final stages. only thing holding it up, according to espn, is a 5 million dollar insurance clause in a-rod's contract. should be finalized tommorow me thinks.

the plot thickens

the union won't approve of a-rod taking a pay cut to go to boston

even though a-rod approves of the contract and wants to go to boston, the union says no

bud selig may approve the deal anyway. sending it to abitration

should be interesting, cant wait to see georges reaction to all this

leave it to the sawks to fuck this up...

the red sox figured a-rod was not worth an 4 million per more than malcontent manny ramirez, so they wanted even more concessions from the union... which was not gonna budge from it's 12-13 million dollar number.

there's nothing but losers in this... baseball lost the chance to get it's best player on a team that will play into october, the rangers lost by beeing too greedy, the union lost by being just plain stupid, and the red sox lost 'cause now they're stuck with two superstars who were already problems that now know the team wanted to get rid of them... should be interesting how this plays out. frankly, after all the talk and the attempts to get rid of manny and nomahhhh, the sox have to just anty up, bite the bullet and make the deal. when you're so close to your first world series in 86 years, an extra $4 mill to replace two headaches with two good guys of equal or greatever value seems like a small price to pay... but that's just me

it's baaaaaaack...

The trade of Alex Rodriguez for Manny Ramirez was left for dead in mid-December, but a high-ranking baseball official indicated to ESPN's Dan Patrick on Tuesday that the Red Sox and Rangers are resuming talks.

Additionally, Bruce Levine of ESPN Radio 1000 in Chicago reported that officials from the Red Sox and Rangers plan to meet this weekend in New York to make another attempt at negotiating a deal.

However, during a media conference call Tuesday afternoon, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said, "The report is completely baseless. There are no plans to meet with anyone."

Epstein added: "I was surprised by it. [Owner] John Henry was surprised by it. [President] Larry Lucchino was surprised by it ... It's baseless."

The Rangers responded with a statement released to ESPN: "This deal is dead. Honestly. There is no chance of this happening. Don't read anything into some of those people being in New York."

Scott Boras, Rodriguez's agent, termed the report "wholly unrealistic." Boras said he has "not been advised of any meetings" and such reports are "jumping the gun". According to Boras, there has been "no movement" in the possible trade.

Negotiations that would have sent Rodriguez to Boston, with Ramirez going to Texas, came to a standstill last month after the Major League Baseball Players Association rejected a proposal by the Red Sox to cut $28 million to $30 million off A-Rod's record $252 million contract.

Rodriguez was willing to give up $27 million -- $13 million in givebacks to the Red Sox and $14 million in Massachusetts state income taxes -- in order to be traded to Boston, but the players association would not allow that much reduction in the shortstop's salary.

Instead, the union said it would approve a change that would lower the contract by $12 million to $13 million in exchange for Rodriguez's getting the right to use Boston's logo and trademarks in marketing deals. In addition, he'd be able to become a free agent after the 2005 season.

But Red Sox ownership decided that, even with the $13 million concession, A-Rod was not worth the extra $4 million a year over what Ramirez is set to earn with the team, ESPN's Peter Gammons reported at the time. Rodriguez's average annual salary is approximately $6 million more than Ramirez's, and the concession would have reduced his earnings by only $2 million a year.

Following the decision by the union, Henry, Red Sox chairman Tom Werner, Lucchino and Epstein issued a joint statement saying "no further discussions regarding this transaction are planned."

And, at that time, Rodriguez's agent agreed that the talks were finally over.

"[Rangers owner] Tom Hicks has indicated he would not consider a trade for Alex Rodriguez in the immediate future," Boras said then.

Rodriguez has seven years and $170 million remaining on his deal. Ramirez has five years and $100 million coming to him.

Although the details of this latest round of talks are not yet known, it is reasonable to assume that if Rodriguez did join the Red Sox, Boston would then trade longtime shortstop Nomar Garciappara. In December, it was reported that Garciaparra would be traded to the Chicago White Sox in the event Boston completed a Rodriguez-for-Ramirez deal.

That Boston continues to pursue Rodriguez could complicate an already strained relationship between Garciappara and the Red Sox.

When it appeared imminent A-Rod would make the move to Boston, the Red Sox's Kevin Millar said he looked forward to having Rodriguez at shortstop.

On Sunday, Garciaparra said he held no grudges against Millar or the team, and hadn't been hurt by the team's actions.

"I know baseball is a business. I'm not thinking about it, one way or another," he said. "I've always said there are things in baseball you can control, and things you can't. I'm focusing on what I can control, like getting ready for the upcoming season.

"A lot of [the trade talk] was unfortunate."

Since the Ramirez-Rodriguez deal has appeared dead in recent weeks, Red Sox ownership has tried to assure Garciaparra that he is part of the team's plans beyond the coming season.

However, if attempts to trade for Rodriguez fall through again, it could create a lasting rift between Garciaparra and the Red Sox.

Hewson said:
Wake me up if something actually happens.

um... heh... uh... not be the bearer of bad news to red sawk nation... but... uh... um... well... ya see... ya know that whole evil empire thing? well... uh... yeah...

from Newsday
The Yankees and Texas Rangers have held serious discussions concerning a blockbuster trade that would bring Alex Rodriguez to the Bronx for Alfonso Soriano, according to an American League source.

Rodriguez, desperate to get out of Texas, apparently would be willing to yield to his fellow shortstop - Yankees captain Derek Jeter - and play third base.

Should such a deal be consummated, the Yankees would strike a colossal blow in their ageless battle against the Red Sox. Not only would the arrival of arguably baseball's best player give the Yankees a vastly improved team in their race for the American League East title, but the Red Sox spent the bulk of the offseason trying to acquire Rodriguez for themselves.

Soriano, 25, is signed only through 2004, for $5.4 million. He can't be a free agent until after the 2006 season.

The 28-year-old Rodriguez, the 2003 American League Most Valuable Player, is owed $189 million over the next seven years, although he can opt out after 2007. In a swap of A-Rod for Soriano, therefore, the Yankees would take on an astounding $183.6 million while importing the highest-paid player in baseball.

It was possible, as the two clubs talked late into Friday night, that the Rangers would provide some money to make up the gigantic difference.

The Yankees stood on the sideline earlier this offseason, watching the Rangers and Red Sox haggle over relatively small amounts of millions of dollars as the two clubs attempted to consummate a deal that would have sent Rodriguez to Boston for Manny Ramirez, a minor-league pitcher and cash.

When Texas and Boston actually did agree to a trade in December, Gene Orza, the associate general counsel for the Players Association, refused to approve it, declaring that A-Rod was setting an unacceptable precedent by diminishing his contract's value.

At that point, Rangers owner Tom Hicks announced that Rodriguez would stay with the Rangers, and last month, the team named A-Rod its captain.

When Yankees third baseman Aaron Boone recently suffered a likely season-ending injury, however, tearing the ACL in his left knee, the Yankees had a glaring void at third base. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman prides himself on leaving no proverbial stone unturned, and he apparently reached out to the Rangers, curious about whether Rodriguez could be had.

For all of their proclamations of renewed vows, the Rangers and Rodriguez still yearn for a divorce. The Rangers want to get out from under the remainder of the historic 10-year, $252- million contract to which they signed him in December 2000.

And Rodriguez, very aware of his legacy, knows the Rangers once again are destined for last place in the AL West. He also has a horrible relationship with Texas' manager, former Yankees manager Buck Showalter.

Hence Rodriguez's extraordinary decision to move out of the shortstop hole, which would show a great deal of respect to Jeter. Most baseball experts consider Rodriguez, who has won Gold Glove awards, to be a superior defensive shortstop to Jeter.

Rodriguez and Jeter were best friends as they made their way to the major leagues, but the relationship fell apart after Rodriguez criticized Jeter in a pair of interviews shortly after he signed with Texas.

In the past year, the tension between the pair has dissipated. They filmed a commercial for Major League Baseball that aired shortly after the conclusion of the Super Bowl on Feb. 1.

Were they to take on Rodriguez and his mammoth salary, the Yankees would see their payroll skyrocket well past the $200-million level.

With Soriano gone, meanwhile, the Yankees would have a hole at second base. But they'd consider that well worth it to pick up Rodriguez. For the short term, utility players Enrique Wilson and Miguel Cairo could fill the void, and they are a much more palatable duo at second base than third base.

Rodriguez has 345 career homers, and he has hit at least 41 homers each of the past six years. Last year, in winning the MVP award, he hit .298 with 47 homers and 118 RBIs, a .396 on-base percentage and .600 slugging percentage.

Last edited:
The Yankees are in serious discussions with the Rangers to acquire Alex Rodriguez and move him to third base. The Post also reported that the Yankees would likely have to give up Jose Contreras as well as minor-league catcher Dioner Navarro in such a trade.

if this trade does in fact go through, the red sox will look sooooo stupid. you can bitch all ya want about the money involved... but soriano, contreras, a top minor league prospect, & tons of freed up cash to spend on another player... it's a damn good deal for the rangers.

if i was theo epstein... i'd be gettin' on the phone now to offer the ramirez trade without the contract restructering asap

it's the perfect move for the yankees on so many levels...
--it adds a guy who is a threat to break the all time home run record, returning it to the bronx
--it fills a hole at third base caused by boone's basketball injury
--3.1 million in attendance last year? try 3.8, 3.9 million with a-rod
--he was born in new york, moving to the dominican when he was 4, then eventually moving to miami when he was like 8 or 9
--and most importantly of all... it would throw some serious egg in the face of both the red sox and the mets, and if there's something george likes doing just as much as winning world series', it's making the red sox and the mets look like crap.

Back
Top Bottom