MERGED ----> The biggest trade since Babe Ruth + Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no way should arod have to play 3b in new york if he does go there

jeters defense is awful, and arod is the reigning gold glove champeeen. but it'll never happen since they have to pamper the games most overrated player with every possible benefit that they can give him, jeter should step up and say he'll move to 3b and have some balls.

a-rod is deffinetly the better deffensive player... but that's exactly why i'd want him to move over jeter. i think a-rod could adjust to a new position better than jeter.

and as for jeter being over-rated... i agree, statwise he's not close to a-rod or nomar. but you can't over-rate the clutch plays he's made in october. there's no stat for that.

i take renteria over jeter, too. gold glove two years in a row, plus he put up better numbers than jeet last year. having a good glove at short is huge.

no stat for his clutchness, no, but that doesn't prevent him from being overrated. and overpaid.

jeter :mad:

Can A-rod pitch? The Yanks lost ALOT of wins w/ Petite/Clemens/Wells leaving. They don't have a lefty starter. This is like having a car w/ a flat tire, and fixing it by rebuilding the engine.

ok, time to sound like a total baseball geek

they lose pettitte, clemens, wells.

break it down...(throwing out wins and losses becausei ts the most irrelevent stat this side of saves)

pettitte: 4.02 ERA, 180k/50bb (respectable)/ 7.78 K per9 /.272 BAA/ 1.33 WHIP (walks and hits per innings pitched.)

the .272 BAA is startling, especially considering the fact lefties hit .321 against him. throw out that "lefty" crap, they hammer him better than righties do.

clemens: 3.91 ERA, 198 K/58 BB (good)/8.08 K per 9/ .247 BAA/ 1.21 WHIP

clemens had a good year for his age, but he's only getting worse...

wells: 4.14 ERA, 101 K/ 20 BB (awful K's , but awesome BB) 1.23 WHIP, .286 BAA which is awful.

only getting worse too, and that .286 BAA is wretched. if he had walked even 10 more batters, that ERA floats up a half a point.

take those three, and compare them to...

Javier Vazquez: 3.24 ERA, 241 K/ 57 BB (awesome) / 9.40 K per 9 (also awesome)/ .229 BAA, 1.11 WHIP (terrific)

probably the most underrated pitcher in baseball, i for one expect him to contend if not win the al cy young this year.

Kevin Brown: 2.39 ERA, 185 K/ 56 BB (solid)/ 7.89 K per 9/ 1.14 WHIP/ .236 BAA

finally stayed healthy, younger than clemens and wells, so i dont want to hear the age crap.

and Jon Lieber, who had a increasingly good 3 year trend going from 4.4 - 3.8- 3.7 ERA in his last 3 years before he got hurt.

adding those 3 in place of pettite, clemens and wells makes the yankees rotation 10 times better than it was last year. 3 legit aces in vazquez / mussina / brown. contreras will have a good year, if you look at how he did as a SP last year, he was phenominal. 57.2 IP as a starter, 2.34 ERA, 57 K, 19 BB, and an obscene .184 BAA.

that rotation is flat out awesome. it doesnt matter who the fifth starter is.

then you add quantrill, flash gordon to the pen... gary sheffield , kenny lofton, travis lee, alex rodriguez...

Um, Ok, you know your shit BUT they lost 3 playoff tested veteran pitchers (2 lefties) and added Brown who is fragile and a cancer in the club house, and Vazquez and Leiber who are around 500 career pitchers, pitching in NY for the first time. Weaver was supposed to be great, put he couldn't handle the NY pressure. No doubt these guys could be good, but it is still a question. Clemens/Pettite/Wells were alredy proven.

vazquez is only a 500 pitcher because hes played for montreal

wins and losses have no bearing on how good a pitcher is, just how well an offense performs around him.

they lose two lefties, but the lefties werent effective against lefties, so that point is moot.

Weaver is a lot different than Vazquez. Vazquez is a legitmiate ace, weaver had half of a good year.

i also think baseball chemistry is entirely overrated, thats more of a football thing. clemens and pettitte were best friends though, so i guess they might lose a little in the clubhouse.

then of course you go over their offensive additions... lofton, sheffield, arod it seems, travis lee.... lofton/jeter/arod/giambi/sheffield/posada/matsui/williams/cairo ? errr

I don't know about wins not mattering. I've never seen a pitcher w/ 5 wins get the Cy Young. To say all wins are just a reflection of the offence is like saying HRs don't matter, they just show how poor the pitching is.

right, and you never will see a pitcher with 5 wins get a cy young, because wins are eye candy.

i dont see the HR comparision, Hr's are an individual achievement, unlike a win.

OPS is the best tool to judge a non-leadoff hitter by anyway

the yankees pitching staff COULD be better than last year's IF all works out. note the emphasis on the COULD and the IF.

brown, vasquez & lieber on paper look just as good as clemens, pettitte & wells, if not better and deffinetly younger...

but... and that's a BIG but... brown and lieber have injury problems, vasquez has pitched only in the baseball siberia that is montreal... who knows if he can handle the fishbowl that is pitching in new york. and the most important but is the post season factor. brown pitched well for the marlins in the world series, and mediocre for the padres. overall, the combined experience of brown, pettitte and leiber does not come close to the post season experience of andy pettite alone, let alone pettite, clemens and boomer.

the lineup is also an if... chemestry is never over-rated. joe torre could've slept through his first years as yankee manager. he baisicly did. that team ran themselves. sheffield, brown & lofton have been known to be problems in the clubhouse in the past. giambi's a follower, not a leader. jeter has developed into one of the best leaders in all of sports... but he also has a considerable ego. who wouldn't in his position? even with a-rod going to third, you still have to have a few concerns on if jeter will be jelous by being replaced by a new golden boy who's a better player and just as popular with the chicks.

the yankees of the late 80s and early 90s were a joke. steinbrenner put together those teams by buying the biggest names possiable, and it just did not work. there was no chemestry amongst the players. the clubhouse earned the nickname "the bronx zoo." this collection of stars could go either way... they could run away with it all and win another world series, or if the pitching goes they could implode and be one of the biggest disapointments in recent sports history.

then again... you can make the same arguments for the red sox. schilling had injury problems for the first time last year, a lot of guys had career years at the plate with no gaurantee of that happening again this year, nomar and manny have to be pissed, & pedro has shown that he is no more than a 7 inning pitcher.

if all the ifs turn positive, there could be two 100 win teams in the AL east. if they turn negative, who the hell knows what it's gonna look like. let's not forget the orioles lineup is also much improved.

i guess thats why they play the games...

but, statistically, which is all you can go on during the offseason

there is no doubt that the yankees are a far, far, far better team than last year.

StlElevation said:
right, and you never will see a pitcher with 5 wins get a cy young, because wins are eye candy.

i dont see the HR comparision, Hr's are an individual achievement, unlike a win.

OPS is the best tool to judge a non-leadoff hitter by anyway

HRs might be a individual achievement, but Barry Bonds is more likely to hit a dinger off me than he is off Pedro or Clemens. If wins don't matter because of the quality of the offence or defence, then HRs shouldn't matter because of quality of the pitcher.

wins do matter, it shows how a pitcher keeps his team in the game.

however, the other stats i posted are by far a better way to gauge a pitchers value.

No matter what way you slice it , a pitcher CANT get a win without a team effort, obviously from the O.

A player just needs one swing to go yard, not relying on anything else, albeit craig counsell against jason schmidt or mark prior, or barry bonds vs. steve sparks or mr brau 1.

edit- im taking off for bed, see ya

Last edited:
Why?

A-Rod to the Yankees. What did the good people of Boston do to deserve this?

What I don't get is why Selig was so set against A-Rod breaking his contract to go to Boston, but suddenly it's okay for him to go to New York... is there some detail I'm missing here?

I feel if the Yankees don't win the WS for the 87th time this year, Georgie will start paying hitmen to attack other teams players in the playoffs. Hey, he's from NY.

U2girl02 said:
What I don't get is why Selig was so set against A-Rod breaking his contract to go to Boston, but suddenly it's okay for him to go to New York... is there some detail I'm missing here?

that would be some incorrect info there...

selig wanted the trade to boston to go through. it was the players union that would not allow the boston-texas trade. in the collective bargening agreement that every owner but 1 agreed to, it clearly stated that a player's contract can not be restructured if the restructering lowers the overall value of the deal. you can change where the money goes, but you can't change the total amount of money. eventually you have to pay the guy what you agreed to pay him. the owners of the red sox, expos, brewers, braves, mets, cubs, giants, etc. etc. all agreed to this stipulation and all signed on to the collective bargining agreement. it was this part of the CBA that ended up screwing the red sox, who insisted on the deal being restructered. if boston would have agreed to take on another 13-20 million, the deal would've happened.

oh... and who might the one owner to vote against the CBA and that rule stipulation be?

you got it... george steinbrenner and the new york yankees. interesting how that works. the yankees end up being the benefactor of a CBA that they voted against because they claimed it would do nothing to help the competitive ballance of baseball because it would not force the small market teams to be players in the market.

babe f'ing ruth, bucky f'ing dent, aaron f'ing boone, alex f'ing rodriguez... collective f'ing bargening agreement

Headache in a Suitcase said:

that would be some incorrect info there...

Yeah, that's my bad. I was a little confused there for a moment :der:

:mad: Steinbrenner pisses me off sometimes... or, actually, most of the time. He needs to get a grip and lay off the power trips for a change, and maybe do something useful with all his money, instead of monopolizing baseball. But that's just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom