MERGED --> Steve Irwin (aka Crocodile Hunter) dead?? + Terri Irwin Interview

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angela Harlem said:
I think it's believed he had a heart attack, it wasn't that he was stung. The barb pierced his heart. I swam with a stingray once and from my pathetically limited understanding, it seems he might have been alongside it or somewhere other than above it. They're graceful in their own way, but simply due to their flatness I dont think manoeuvrability is a key feature of their physical build. Nasty accident.

His death has really saddened me.
:(

What actually happened:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

I guess you could say the Stingray wasn't the actual killer, the stab straight to the heart was.

RedrocksU2 said:

Yes Trev, I agree.
When I heard that Steve had died, I immediately thought of an old friend of mine that passed away recently, Tim Treadwell.

tim_bear.jpg

Tim and I worked together in California as bartenders before he became an avid wildlife researcher for Grizzly bears. He unfortunately encountered a more horrifying death.

Here's a couple of links to his story;

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/Tim_Treadwell.html

http://www.grizzlypeople.com/home1.php

omg. I heard about that Carlos! I'm so sorry about your friend. :hug:

trevster2k said:
I think the reason hardly anyone has ever been killed by a stingray is that most people avoid contact with stingrays especially giant ones.

I might have to contest that... I've been diving with stingrays in the Caribbean a few times, and while I try to leave them alone it seems the first thing everyone else does is swim up and poke them. They usually just swim away if you harass them... what happened to Irwin was definately a freak accident.

It's suprising how sad myself everyone I've talked to is about this, since we all have done our share of teasing. I made a video once where I followed around one of our kittens and narrated in my Croc Hunter voice.
Poor guy. :sad:

I ran into him once in the hallway of my high school... in Indiana... no joke.

BonosBaby12 said:
I just can't seem to accept that Steve Irwin died :(. Remember watching him all of the time with my nephews. His death really comes as quite a shock. May he rest in peace

My grandmother loved him, and appreciated his love of nature. She passed away today, as well. Life is wondrous and unpredictable, all in the same breath.

Steve seemed to live his life with a passion to inform...he'll really be missed.

BonosBaby12 said:
I just can't seem to accept that Steve Irwin died :(.

Same here.. :( I've actually shed a few tears. It's so weird, I dont usually get like this.

Sicy said:

Same here.. :( I've actually shed a few tears. It's so weird, I dont usually get like this.

Me either.

I've been watching Animal Planet all evening and I could barely get through some of it :(

I'm totally in the same boat. I'm not one to really be affected by 'celebrity deaths' and such, but this tragedy is really sad to me. Maybe because I was an avid watcher of his shows for a long time and he was so darn passionate, genuine, charismatic and happy! He seemed like a great family man and with a giant heart. I can't stop thinking what a great loss it must be for the family. At least they will have lots of memories to watch years from now and remember how great he was.

It's because 'celebrity deaths' usually involve stupid people doing stupid things. You probably can't think of a more honest, 'innocent' person in the spotlight, nor a more honest and innocent way for them to go. This isn't exactly a cokehead actor OD'ing in a room full of hookers. For once, it really is a tragedy.

elevation2u said:
I'm totally in the same boat. I'm not one to really be affected by 'celebrity deaths' and such, but this tragedy is really sad to me. Maybe because I was an avid watcher of his shows for a long time and he was so darn passionate, genuine, charismatic and happy! He seemed like a great family man and with a giant heart. I can't stop thinking what a great loss it must be for the family. At least they will have lots of memories to watch years from now and remember how great he was.

I was going to write something, but e2u said it much better than I ever could have.

I really hope they don't broadcast the footage of it happening.

Last edited:
To thnik he left his house to go to work like any other normal day and he never came back.

"Croc Hunter" pulled barb out of chest before death
By Michael Perry

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Fatally injured by a stingray, Australian "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin pulled its serrated barb out of his chest before losing consciousness and dying, the world-famous naturalist's manager said on Tuesday.

Video footage of the attack shows Irwin swimming above the stingray on the Great Barrier Reef on Monday when it lashed out and speared him in the heart with its barbed tail, manager John Stainton told reporters.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest)," Stainton said after watching the footage.

"He pulled it out and the next minute he's gone. The cameraman had to shut down," he said.

"It's a very hard thing to watch because you're actually witnessing somebody die ... it's terrible."

Irwin, 44, the quirky naturalist who won worldwide acclaim as TV's khaki-clad "Crocodile Hunter", was filming a new documentary off Australia's northeastern coast when he was attacked.

Marine experts say stingrays can deliver horrific, agonising injuries from the toxin-laden barbs, which can measure up to 20 cm (8 in) in length and cause injuries like a knife or bayonet.

"The strongly serrated barb is capable of tearing and rendering flesh," said Dr Bryan Fry, deputy director of the Australian Venom Research Unit.

"It's not the going in that causes the damage, it's the coming out where those deep serrations kind of pull on the flesh, and you end up with a very jagged tear which is quite a pronounced injury," Fry said.

News of Irwin's death shocked Australians and Irwin's millions of fans around the world. Prime Minister John Howard interrupted parliament on Tuesday to pay tribute.

"He was a genuine, one-off, remarkable Australian individual and I am distressed at his death," Howard told parliament.

"We mourn his loss, we're devastated by the tragic circumstances in which he has been taken from us and we send our love and prayers to his grieving family," he said.

"CRIKEY"

Environmental documentary maker Ben Cropp said video of the attack showed Irwin swimming alongside a bull stingray, probably weighing around 100 kg (220 lb). His cameraman was filming in front of the ray, which became frightened and lashed out.

Stingrays are usually placid and only attack in self-defence.

Stainton said the cameraman only became aware of the attack when he noticed Irwin bleeding.

Millions had seen Irwin flirt with death many times as he stalked and played with crocodiles, sharks, snakes and spiders. Stainton said he was struggling to come to terms with the fact that a stingray had killed his friend.

"There's been a million occasions where both of us held our breath and thought we were lucky to get out of that one," Stainton said. "But he just seemed to have a charmed life."

Police said they had examined the footage and would prepare a report for the coroner appointed to determine the cause of death.

Film star Russell Crowe called Irwin the "ultimate wildlife warrior", adding: "He was the Australian we all aspire to be. He touched my heart. I believed in him. I'll miss him".

Known for his catchphrase "Crikey" during close encounters with animals, Irwin made almost 50 documentaries which appeared on the cable TV channel Animal Planet.

U.S.-based television company Discovery Communications, which produces Animal Planet, said it would set up a conservation fund in honour of Irwin, dubbed in one tribute a "modern-day Noah", and planned a marathon showing of his programmes.

Discovery said the footage of Irwin's fatal dive might never be broadcast.

Australian newspapers paid tribute to Irwin on Tuesday, while fans including American tourists laid wreaths outside his Australia Zoo in tropical Queensland state.

"We thought he was Superman, that he was indestructible," said an editorial in Sydney's The Daily Telegraph.

"We were wrong"

http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=870270

even more sad

I feel like a lot of you who have posted. It surprised me to get teary-eyed and all emotional over a "celebrity" death, but I think it's because he always seemed so genuine. You felt that what you saw on TV was the real person. No matter how you might chuckle at his over-the-top antics, you could tell that he was 100% passionate about animals and that he loved them. You can't help but admire that kind of dedication.

How very sad for his wife and young children. :(

angelordevil said:

My grandmother loved him, and appreciated his love of nature. She passed away today, as well. Life is wondrous and unpredictable, all in the same breath.

Steve seemed to live his life with a passion to inform...he'll really be missed.

I am really sorry about your grandmother :hug:

Even today the death of Steve feels like it's a dream. He really was a good person.

Im still in shock and very saddened by it all, especially as all the papers have pictures of him today, which makes it hit home even more. I dont think i can bring myself to watch the repeats of his shows or the video i shot of him when i met him,in fact i think i need to destroy it, because if im ever tempted to watch it i know how emotional ill get.

Watching the biography of him last night, and seeing his excitement at the birth of his first child just made me so sad...it's truly terrible that a lot of us got to see more of him than they ever will get the opportunity to (does that make sense?)

sulawesigirl4 said:
I feel like a lot of you who have posted. It surprised me to get teary-eyed and all emotional over a "celebrity" death, but I think it's because he always seemed so genuine. You felt that what you saw on TV was the real person. No matter how you might chuckle at his over-the-top antics, you could tell that he was 100% passionate about animals and that he loved them. You can't help but admire that kind of dedication.

How very sad for his wife and young children. :(

It was clear that he loved life, his family, and was very genuine :yes: . Am also very saddened to hear this news.

angelordevil said:

I send my prayers and thoughts out you AngelorDevil and your family :hug:

Also to the Coc Hunters'

I watched his Croc shows on National Geographic. RIP Croc Hunter. You could tell he was passionate and real about animals, even if you may disagree with his methods.

I guess he did have the kind of job that put his life at risk but still...it's a surprise to see he's dead. Local newspaper says he held snakes, scorpios etc...and never got stung. Sting rays apparently aren't lethal per se except this particular one got him straight into the heart.

:| I hope they don't release the video of it happening...perhaps some comfort in that it was probably over quick and he died doing what he loved to do. 44 is way to early to go.

Last edited:
You know, he just seemed kind of invincible somehow, even with all the dangerous stuff he did. He never seemed to get seriously hurt. I just kind of thought he'd live to be 90 telling his grandkids about all the amazing crazy things he did. This is so sad. :sad:

In my attempt to be positive today I was thinking 44 is definitely young, but he had a good life. had a great family, did something to contribute the environment, touched a lot of people, helped a lot of animals, educated who knows how many people, directed a zoo, traveled the world, escaped death who knows how many times, made money doing something good and that he loved..I mean jeez the guy packed as much life into those 44 years as he possibly could, did more than most people will ever do in a lifetime.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom