Merged --> Rolling Stone: Top 100 Albums, your pick? + music fans, here is something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had no trouble picking my top 5:

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. War
5. Rattle and Hum

But after that I have trouble. I think I would probably put all non-U2 albums in the bottom half of the list, but I can't decide which ones and in what order.

Last edited:
Rolling Stone: Top 100 Albums, your pick?

From @U2:
Rolling Stone wants your list of the 10 Best
Albums ... ever. It's part of an upcoming feature on their readers Top 100
albums and your comments may be included in the final feature. Use the link
below to send in your ballot.

http://www.rollingstone.com/top100/

I voted for War as my favorite. And here was my reasoning:

War established U2 as the new biggest band in the world. They pushed the boundaries of what main stream rock can be. Combining religion and politics and causing a stir of both good and band all over the world. They delved into the very souls of themselves and rock and roll and produced a record that stands today as what real rock is all about.

:yes:

I tried posting mine, but it wouldn't take it right now for some reason. But here's what I wrote.

My #1 Album Of All Time: The Joshua Tree

My Reasoning:

By making the Joshua Tree, U2 took a huge risk. Bono himself declared in 1987 "that the thought of people waiting for The Joshua Tree is ridiculous. It sounds as though it'll sell three copies." I can see his point. At the time, it sounded like nothing on mainstream radio. Instead, you had an album that sounded like it was derived from some kind of mystical fall-out. No other album I've ever heard has the total embodiment of both an earthiness and, yet also, the other-worldliness through which The Joshua Tree has been woven. It's as though the album understands and replicates, in an organic sense, the line Bono would pen years later on Achtung Baby, in the song 'So Cruel': "Head in heaven, fingers in the mire." On The Joshua Tree, there is a sense that, despite it being "so cruel," life is worth "holding onto," as is conveyed in the song, 'Red Hill Mining Town'. (Perhaps the themes of Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby aren't so different afterall?) From the opening hymn-like organ intro of 'Where The Streets Have No Name' -- as it glides effortlessly into a tidal-wave of relentless explosion -- to the sublime beauty of songs like 'One Tree Hill', there is nothing but perfection; a musically cinematic perfection of an imperfect world striving past the pain and desperation felt throughout this album, and into the metaphysical sense of joy. Bono's falsetto, for example, has never sounded the same before or since The Joshua Tree. There is a mystical quality about it, as though it has traveled for miles and miles through the wide open desserts and dense political jungles and forests throughout this album. The listener is carried through the real life images of American foreign policy ('Bullet The Blue Sky'), the desperation of drug addiction ('Running To Stand Still'), and the very real emptiness behind suicide ('Exit'); yet despite it all, in many of the very same songs you will find an undying, underlying hope, an urge to transcend the very darkness of this album into the silver light found on 'Streets'. Even a nasty little love song such as 'With or Without You' comes from somewhere else completely, the pain of it feeding the very need to reach past the flesh of this album. Nothing on The Joshua Tree sounds commercial, yet it is one of the most commercially successful albums of all time. Somewhere back in 1987, U2 found the very breath of their ability and filled their lungs with it. The Joshua Tree is the sound of the exhale, the consequence of their risk -- the fallout of the mystical -- scattered across miles of terrain. And, on this disc, we are lucky enough to breath it all in again -- to go, to quote Van Morrison, back "into the mystic" -- and to actually take that breath back to where it came from. That's the paradox of The Joshua Tree, and also why it's the greatest album of all time.

I think I'll make a Joshua Tree appreciation thread out of this!

Last edited:
Oh, here's the rest of my top 10 (at least today)...

2. Sgt Peppers -- The Beatles
3. Achtung Baby -- U2
4. The Bends -- Radiohead
5. Songs of Love and Hate -- Leonard Cohen
6. Blood on the tracks -- Bob Dylan
7. OK Computer -- Radiohead
8. Rubber Soul -- The Beatles
9. Moondance -- Van Morrison
10. Fumbling Towards Ecstacy -- Sarah McLachlan

I am not going to bother to reply to Rolling Stone- you know these kind of polls are always so typical and predictable, Rolling Stone really gives me the shits these days- I used to buy it all the time when I was younger, but the day I saw the Spice Girls on the cover I thought 'see you later', now instead I buy 'Q' magazine as my rock bible- it shits all over Rolling Stone. but anyway I am very happy to see War as your pick Mango- I thought I was the only major war devotee around here, and what you said was very eloquent and well thought out- I whole heartedly agree:)

Well, even though I know it won't win (stupid Beatles fans), I put AB as #1 and here's why:

Achtung Baby is flat-out perfect. It's better than the Joshua Tree, which will probably get more votes. But Achtung Baby represents U2 precariously balanced between their earnest, political persona in the late 80s and their still-to-come flashy hedonism of the mid-90s. They flirt with techno, dance, and glam without ever losing a strong, firm rock sensibility. "One" is probably their best song ever and is a very competitive candidate for Best Song of the 1990s. Bono was never better lyrically; it's tough to find an album that has more complex, subtle, and detailed, yet achingly direct, lyrics than Achtung Baby. And if Achtung Baby were nothing more than "One" and "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" over and over again, it would still get my vote.

The rest of my top 10 (maybe not what I *really* believe would be the top 10, but I tried to vote for things not many other people would vote for):

To Bring You My Love, PJ Harvey
Nevermind, Nirvana
The Joshua Tree, :bono: :adam: :larry: :edge:
Ghost in the Machine, The Police
Boys for Pele, Tori Amos
Mezzanine, Massive Attack
Pearl, Janis Joplin
In My Tribe, 10,000 Maniacs
Vitalogy, Pearl Jam

1. Joshua Tree - U2

I didn't explain my reason for picking that album because I don't feel I'm articulate enough to explain what that album means to me. After that, I can't remember the order, but here are the remaining nine albums:

Sgt. Pepper's - The Beatles
Bachelor No. 2 - Aimee Mann
The Unforgettable Fire - U2
Achtung Baby - U2
Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette (I know it's not a *great* album but I feckin' love it!)
Quadrophenia - The Who
OK Computer - Radiohead
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Unplugged - Nirvana

OzAurora said:
I am not going to bother to reply to Rolling Stone- you know these kind of polls are always so typical and predictable, Rolling Stone really gives me the shits these days- I used to buy it all the time when I was younger, but the day I saw the Spice Girls on the cover I thought 'see you later', now instead I buy 'Q' magazine as my rock bible- it shits all over Rolling Stone. but anyway I am very happy to see War as your pick Mango- I thought I was the only major war devotee around here, and what you said was very eloquent and well thought out- I whole heartedly agree:)

Thanks! I just put what I thought about the album! So many people here don't like war. I dont get them! I like rolling stone, but Spin is m favorite.

Michael Griffiths said:

. Somewhere back in 1987, U2 found the very breath of their ability and filled their lungs with it. The Joshua Tree is the sound of the exhale, the consequence of their risk -- the fallout of the mystical -- scattered across miles of terrain. .

MG, i have been reading your posts for over 18 months now, and they are soo well writen, i simply luv em

i used to think that ab was my fav, but after reading that buty u wrote i think i am w\o out question a jt dude

keep posting my man

letre

Michael Griffiths said:
Oh, here's the rest of my top 10 (at least today)...

2. Sgt Peppers -- The Beatles
3. Achtung Baby -- U2
4. The Bends -- Radiohead
5. Songs of Love and Hate -- Leonard Cohen
6. Blood on the tracks -- Bob Dylan
7. OK Computer -- Radiohead
8. Rubber Soul -- The Beatles
9. Moondance -- Van Morrison
10. Fumbling Towards Ecstacy -- Sarah McLachlan

:up: Mine was similar. Had Harvest by Neil Young in it, though, and Revolver by the Beatles.

Back
Top Bottom