MERGED ---> Reunited Pink Floyd @ Live 8 + Re-united Pink Floyd To Play Live8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blahblahblah said:
what the hell?! So IMPROVISING over a song ALREADY WRITTEN by Rick Wright counts for writing these days?!

Yes, the singing MAKES the tune but given the fact that the tune was already recorded and just waiting for some vocals I wouldn't have thought she deserves Half of it!! :|

Good question. If the improvising changes the composition of a song, she deserves credit. You know, you can write 11 songs and go into a studio to record them. If the producer decides he´ll add another part to that specific song he also deserves credit. This is probably unjust, because many producers use this as a concrete tactic to steal part of the royalties due to the composer. However, it is (theoretically) up to the composer to decide if he wants those changes to be made.

In that case, I would say Clare Torry has contributed very much to the song. What would the song be without her voice, except of a few piano/ organ chords? if she deserves half of it, is another question. They should have settled with 20% from the start, if you ask me.

Last edited:
whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Contrary to your opinion, Roger is a very friendly person. He might not have treated everyone well back in the 70s, but people change, you know.

Might not have???????

I'm not saying for a second that people DON'T change. Back then, he did behave like a megalomaniac asswipe; or so it would appear.

After Rog had left the band, the Floyd lost all of their lyrical significance. Instead, they concentrated on staging bombastic concerts, having steaks (Dave) and driving racecars (Nick).

David Gilmour, talented as he is, certainly lacks Roger's lyrical genius, in my opinion. Still, I've never understood why people hate The Division Bell. I really like a lot of those songs - as you quite correctly pointed out, people do change... and of course their music frequently changes with them.

Are you seriously saying that there was nothiing bombastic about The Wall's live shows?

Last edited:
Too toppy? It couldn't possible be too toppy. The only thing it could have been is less toppy. More toppy, rather.

Apple pie please... AND NOT THE CRUST.

Christ! Where would rock'n'roll be without feedback?!

Yes... I am sad to say that I know Live at Pompeii off by heart and backwards. The music's amazing.

Less importantly, there's also this little detail:

dave7.jpg
dave.jpg

My best mate at uni thought I was mad... but then, she found John Entwistle attractive!

I don't care how old and fat he gets... David Gilmour is David Gilmour and that is the end of any argument on that score! Not that there is any, but there you go. :D

Last edited:
OH! PLUS!! I got a Live8 ticket yesterday!!!!!!! :ohmy:

Pink Floyd, U2, McCartney, Coldplay....! Nice.

Waters actually was more of a megalomaniac in the 80s and into the 90s than he was in the 70s. It was only during/post-The Wall that he started acting as if he were Pink Floyd, driving Rick Wright out of the band, attempting to sack longtime Floyd manager Steve O'Rourke, and dumping Nick Mason into semi-retirement by replacing him on drums for a few tracks of The Final Cut.

Gilmour is an easygoing guy but after The Final Cut he'd had enough of Roger running roughshod over the group and trying to grab credit for EVERYTHING the Floyd ever did.

Thanks for that info, which I already knew... it was a useful comment though. :D This is one thing I like about Floydianism - our earnest attempts at enlightenment! :wink:

Well, yes, you're right about the timing... but the tension had been building for a fair while during the 70s, in my opinion. Rog wrote all DSOTM's lyrics and composed most of the music as well - he was very much taking control, and as the album emerged in March 1973, that must have been way back in '72!

Rick Wright: We fought during `The Wall,' which was an album Waters wrote, based on his family story, we all clashed long before that, during the period of the Dark Side and `Wish You Were Here.' Actually, we never got along. But it was in `The Wall' that Roger really lost his mind. He was convinced that he is Pink Floyd and that he doesn't need me nor Nick Mason. I wasn't in a state to argue about that, because we were financially ruined.
www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

Might not have???????

I'm not saying for a second that people DON'T change. Back then, he did behave like a megalomaniac asswipe; or so it would appear.

David Gilmour, talented as he is, certainly lacks Roger's lyrical genius, in my opinion. Still, I've never understood why people hate The Division Bell. I really like a lot of those songs - as you quite correctly pointed out, people do change... and of course their music frequently changes with them.

Are you seriously saying that there was nothiing bombastic about The Wall's live shows?

So it would appear? To who? To the rest of the band? To the press? To people who wrote biographies and cashed in?

I´m surely not of "the Waters camp" or "the Gilmour camp" .. I think Gilmour is a great guitarist and very lyrical musician, like you pointed out he is probably less sharp (can you say talented? I don´t know..) regarding the lyrics.

Sure Waters was a control freak and liked to have things his way.. but with a musical, lyrical masterpieces with political messages like The Wall and The Final Cut, I can somehow understand. Did it ever occur to you that maybe the rest of the band, or Gilmour for that matter, would have liked to see more "commercial" lyrics? Dark Side and Wish.. are great albums, the lyrics are very different from the Animals/ post-Animals albums, more universal in a way, one might say, whereas the later ones are more concrete and more sharp. So when Dark Side had sold about 30 mil and Animals about 4 (or 7 later on, I´m too lazy too look up numbers right now, but considerably less than Dark Side) could it be that Dave wanted The Wall to be less sharp? Less fragmented? There are many short songs. many pieces. Everything had to be arranged. So I guess Rog, infuriating over details, pushed his message through. Now, had it been any different at that time, the album would lack depth, as you probably will agree. So maybe it´s a good thing Rog rolled over everyone with his ego. How can you tell? Artistic relationships are tense. They can be relaxed, but when it´s at this level, they can be very tense, see...

so I wouldn´t blame Roger that way, like most of the media, biographies and some bandmates did. He did what he had to do artistically, and didn´t compromise. Personal behavior is another story, and no one who wasn´t there can tell how it really was.

As to 70s.. or before.. wasn´t it Roger who was instrumental in firing Syd? As well as the others, it´s reported they just didn´t fetch him.. probably it was also very difficult to deal with him at that time.. however. And Animals was in 77, thats when the conflicts started. The Wall was released 79. I guess they already pissed each other off before of that.

The shows were absolutely bombastic. In fact, like always, the Floyd had great audio and video and lights and stage stuff etc. also post Waters. But the musical quality was different.

Maybe that´s the reason why I didn´t go to a post Waters Pink Floyd show. Because, even if Gilmour is an incredible guitar player, I feared I would be disappointed without Roger. I have heard of others that the concerts were amazing, so be it. But I saw Roger and the Bleeding Hearts Band a few years ago. They played everything you ever wished. Nearly all of The Wall, the whole first side of Dark Side, Shine on, Wish ou were here.. even old songs,.. and new ones. The first song was In the Flesh II, imagine Roger starting to sing. You can´t beat it. And the whole band rocked.

When Roger performed his solo songs, you could see he had changed... the lyrics have changed too.. he is a thoughtful person. Sometimes quiet. And at the same time, an old cult rocker in the style of Lou Reed or Bowie; a quality that Gilmour.. yes, he´s a very nice person.. but he lacks that quality.

Nah, I don´t like the Division Bell. It would be a great album if it was the first album for a new band. But on Division Bell, you have elements of very old Floyd sounds rehashed digitally, with lots of effects and too many delays, and Rogers typical style of basslines even if he didn´t contribute them. You know, its kind of a deep fried pizza compared to a fresh restaurant one. That said, with a few exceptions, I don´t think that most of Rogers post Floyd albums are any better in musical terms.

But I would like to listen to his last project, actually. One song is a very long piece with amazing lyrics. Couldn´t find it though..

Last edited:
My predicted Floyd setlist.

The Headliners of course....:wink:

1)Shine On (Edited version like on the last tour)

2)Happiest Days/Another Brick Part 2

3)Money

4)Wish You Were Here

5)Comfortably Numb

and if Dave ends his solo in less than an hour....

6)Run Like Hell

Aardvark747 said:

Did u hear about Velvet Revolver covering Floyd's 'Wis you were here' at the Download Festival Shaun? It was supposed to have been great.

they have a studio cover version of MONEY. you have to listen to it OMG!

Aardvark747 said:
My predicted Floyd setlist.

The Headliners of course....:wink:

1)Shine On (Edited version like on the last tour)

2)Happiest Days/Another Brick Part 2

3)Money

4)Wish You Were Here

5)Comfortably Numb

and if Dave ends his solo in less than an hour....

6)Run Like Hell

Most of these would probably happen, although I'd pick Time over Money to represent DSOTM.

That first selection is interesting. Would it be just that song, or perhaps parts of other songs that go with it on the album?

I think the tidbit about U2 at the beginning of the show is very interesting as well.

Back
Top Bottom