MERGED ---> Reunited Pink Floyd @ Live 8 + Re-united Pink Floyd To Play Live8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by DaveC
Trust me. It categorically, absolutely, 100% will not happen....as much as I'd like for it to...

Originally posted by WinnieThePoo
try genesis
they won't play ............

Pah. LMFAO!!! I'd have said exactly the same had I seen this before.. .but there you go.
:dancing::rockon::bump::dancing::rockon:
:bump::dancing::rockon::bump::dancing:

Last edited:
Amazing. This is the biggest news in the world of music this year, and 'The Sun' only writes a tiny few lines on it!!:mad:

Instead they're more bothered at telling us about David Beckham introducing Robbie Williams at Live8!:madspit:

WHO CARES?!!?!

starsgoblue said:
:madspit: to Waters....I'm all bout Gilmour...

Too right, stars! I'd forgotten how cool yoi are. :)

Waters = a megalomaniac arsehole. Don't get me wrong - I'm not denying the brilliance of his lyrics and the scope of his ideas - I think the man is incredibly creative. His father's early death was obviously hideously traumatic for him. Still, that doesn't excuse the appalling way he treated those around him. What did Nick Mason say about Waters in the 70s? "He made Stalin look like an old muddlehead."

Good that the old bugger's mellowed.

Aardvark747 said:
"And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad bugger's wall."

:banghead: :wink:

Precisely.

Also - I have counted the posts (yes I am that bored, I haven't slept in 2 days either :( ), and therefore I have to say:

COME IN NUMBER 51 YOUR TIME IS UP

to none other than.... Brau!

Post 51
MrBrau1 said:
If U2 and Queen stole the show back in 85, 2005 might belong to Pink Floyd. I mean, this is going to dominate the concert. Do they get more than a 1/2 hour to perform? I'd guess at least 1 hour.

:applaud: see Brau, you have finally achieved something special! :wink: :D

Last edited:
Aardvark747 said:
Instead they're more bothered at telling us about David Beckham introducing Robbie Williams at Live8!:madspit:

....what...

what the shit?! Who gives A STUFF?! Bloody 'Sun'

I thought The Sun consisted mainly of pictures anyway. I've seen scribblings by 18 month old children that make a lot more sense than any of the "articles" in that rag.

blahblahblah said:
So, erm...quick re-cap...DaveC, with all due respect, one who has said himself he is the 'Floyd Guru' and is alledgedly connected to the band in one way or another via friends or whatever was responsible for the following quotes...
[/B]

Fond as I am of dear DaveC, he has yet to realise that several of us here stole his Floydian crown a loooooong time ago, on various occasions. :yes: :p

Last edited:
The part of it that really blows me away...
Roger Waters called David Gilmour. After all this time and all the nastiness he threw at them all. WTF??!! :shocked:

Now that's more like it! Good for you Rog!
*in total shock*

what was the quote? Anyone fancy throwing away their dignity and buying a copy of the sun so they can type it here :wink:

When my synapses pause in my quest for applause
When my ego lets go of my end of the bone
To focus instead on a love that is precious to me
Then I shall be free
I shall be free...

I'm of the idea that Flickering Flame was the first step to reconciliation for Roger.

It'd be interesting to see if they do any post-Waters Floyd (probably not) or if they perform any Roger solo songs (The Tide is Turning or Each Small Candle) as those songs ironically would be appropriate.

Nevertheless, I think we'll get a "classic" setlist of Wish, Time, Comf. Numb, maybe Another Brick, maybe Money. Hopefully they'll throw in Shine On I-V or something a bit less obvious (One of These Days or Pigs on the Wing or something).

I'm reading all the quotes as if it is a one-off event. The only member of Floyd that wants to spend six months doing a world tour is Nick Mason. Waters has his own projects and Gilmour can't be bothered at this point.

Nevertheless, I'm thrilled about the reunion. Those guys should play together, they have so much shared history and Waters' lyrics and concepts are the perfect complement to Gilmour's music. Congrats to Roger for burying his (considerable) ego and making the phone call and to Dave for giving the go signal and getting everyone on board.

Hawkfire said:

I'm reading all the quotes as if it is a one-off event. The only member of Floyd that wants to spend six months doing a world tour is Nick Mason. Waters has his own projects and Gilmour can't be bothered at this point.

That's what I thought all along, definitely... I get the distinct feeling that it wouldn't work any other way.

Nevertheless, I'm thrilled about the reunion. Those guys should play together, they have so much shared history and Waters' lyrics and concepts are the perfect complement to Gilmour's music. Congrats to Roger for burying his (considerable) ego and making the phone call and to Dave for giving the go signal and getting everyone on board.

Very well said. :)

Hawkfire said:
Gilmour can't be bothered at this point.

I'm not sure what "can't be bothered" means. This statement sounds more applicable to Syd.

blahblahblah said:
what was the quote? Anyone fancy throwing away their dignity and buying a copy of the sun so they can type it here :wink:
U2 are fans of The Sun as they always champion the same causes.So far on this tour The Sun was given exclusives on the promotional tour and opening night.Appart from that though your right,IT IS SHITE.

DaveC said:
Unfortunately, the only possible way to get tickets to the London show is to live in the UK. :(

Let's figure out what they'll play.

We know they obviously won't play anything from Piper, AMLoR, or TDB. The non-Rog/non-Dave stuff won't have a chance. Obscure tracks (or anything pre-Dark Side for that matter) probably won't be around either. The Final Cut is probably not something any of them want to revisit. So that leaves DSotM, WYWH, Animals, and The Wall. Which is what would be expected.

So let's see what they could play:
DSotM: Well they could play the whole thing as their set, but it's unlikely. The only real things I can think of to be played at an event like Live 8 from Dark Side would be Us and Them, Brain Damage/Eclipse and Breathe. Time is all about death, Money is all about...well, money.
WYWH: Shine On is definitely out by virtue of its length and the fact that it's about Syd. Welcome to the Machine...ehh, it's possible, but not likely. Have A Cigar, definitely NOT. Wish You Were Here...about the only really possible (probable, in fact) song from WYWH.
Animals: PotW...nope. Dogs...nope. Pigs(3DO)...it's possible, if it's directed at the politicians at the G-8. Sheep...certainly not.
The Wall: It's a damn guarantee that they'll do something from The Wall, especially with Bob Geldof having organized all this. In The Flesh? would be hilarious. ABitW2 would be possible. Hey You is also possible too. Comfortably Numb is absolutely going to be in the set. The Show Must Go On would be another hilarious one. Other than that I can't see anything else from the Wall going on there.

I wonder how long they'll get to play? Maybe an hour or so?

I think The Final Cut would fit perfectly (Fletcher Memorial), but I doubt they´re gonna pull that stunt. They´ll rather play Comfortably Numb for the 2376th time. I think Wish You Were Here might be on the setlist, probably another Run Like Hell (they had that at the first Live Aid however.. so they shouldn´t repeat that one imo).. Hey You would be a great choice, also the lyrics fitting well etc., whereas Another Brick II wouldn´t. Us and them would fit. But they´ll need an uptempo song I guess. what about Money then?

Hmm and I don´t know if it´s going to be one hour.. normally being half an hour per act.

I wish they would include the Great Gig in the Sky.. where is Clare Torry?

They would NEVER work with Clare Torry again after what she did.

Anything from TFC probably wouldn't be played simply because of the terrible memories of that recording that I'm sure nobody would want to revisit at an event like this.

I'd love to see a compromise and have one post-Rog song and a Roger-solo song...maybe "The Tide is Turning" and "On the Turning Away"/"High Hopes"/"Keep Talking".

:drool:

DaveC said:
They would NEVER work with Clare Torry again after what she did.
]

Enlighten me. I'm sure I read something before but it didn't seem all that bad... :huh:

Aardvark747 said:

Hasn't she been trying to get more cash out of them, for unpaid royalties or something?

DaveC to confirm please!:wink:

I'll confirm.

She sued them last year for unpaid royalties and damages, claiming that she in fact wrote The Great Gig In The Sky.

And she won, believe it or not. She ended up getting a half-share on copyright ownership of the song.

So no, she won't be there. :wink: But then again, with the money she's getting now, she probably doesn't care.

what the hell?! So IMPROVISING over a song ALREADY WRITTEN by Rick Wright counts for writing these days?!

Yes, the singing MAKES the tune but given the fact that the tune was already recorded and just waiting for some vocals I wouldn't have thought she deserves Half of it!! :|

Aardvark747 said:

Hasn't she been trying to get more cash out of them, for unpaid royalties or something?

DaveC to confirm please!:wink:

Er... well, she DID get paid the princely sum of £30 for her contribution originally, which is ridiculous. I love Floyd but she had a damn good point.

Half was extreme, but she deserved a hell of a lot more than she got.

Christ on a BIKE.

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

Er... well, she DID get paid the princely sum of £30 for her contribution originally, which is ridiculous. I love Floyd but she had a damn good point.

That she did. I'm surprised it couldn't have been worked out between them. Especially with Gilmour, since on the last two albums he tended to be very generous and give credit where credit was due.

Oh well. :shrug:

Will PF have enough time to rehearse before the gig? I guess it's not really important whether they actually play live or not. It's all about attracting attention and raising money. Good for them.:up:

sallycinnamon78 said:

Waters = a megalomaniac arsehole. Don't get me wrong - I'm not denying the brilliance of his lyrics and the scope of his ideas - I think the man is incredibly creative. His father's early death was obviously hideously traumatic for him. Still, that doesn't excuse the appalling way he treated those around him. What did Nick Mason say about Waters in the 70s? "He made Stalin look like an old muddlehead."

Contrary to your opinion, Roger is a very friendly person. He might not have treated everyone well back in the 70s, but people change, you know.

After Rog had left the band, the Floyd lost all of their lyrical significance. Instead, they concentrated on staging bombastic concerts, having steaks (Dave) and driving racecars (Nick).

Back
Top Bottom