MERGED ---> Radiohead Album Likely Due Next Spring + New Radiohead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
from NME.com via pitchfork:

Thom Yorke Reveals New Radiohead Album Details!

Rob Kleckner reports:
Bands like Radiohead can leak little droplets of information about coming albums over the course of a year. Tantalizing us with what's in store, teasing us with cryptic quotes, and generally getting us all riled up, so that when the album finally drops, all of those droplets have whet our appetites such that we must have the album.

Well, Thommy Boy has given NME.com a few golden nuggets of info about the band's seventh album, which is not due until next spring at the earliest. Yorke feels that the recording process this time around finds the band shifting gears, much like they did in the post-OK Computer sessions that eventually led to Kid A and Amnesiac.

"It's going well," Yorke said of the work so far. "It's a bit like Kid A-- we're going through a period of change. But that's good. We'll get there."

That's it; that's all Yorke said about the album. But that's all he has to say. This doesn't necessarily mean that the album will sound like Kid A, but that it will be a big step forward for the band. It's good to see a group working so hard to create something different, unlike certain other English groups, who are content to stick their platinum-selling formulas. But we're not naming any names...cough cough...COLDPLAY! Oh weird, what a strange sneeze!

Anyway, several months ago Yorke and guitarist Jonny Greenwood performed some new material with the London Sinfonietta, where they debuted "Arpeggi". More recently, Yorke performed "House of Cards" during an all-night vigil for the Global Week of Action in support of Trade Justice. Other song titles mentioned by NME.com include "Glass Flowers" and "Reckoner".

You can find a link to a video of the Trade Justice performance below, but we're guessing there's some serious traffic over there. Or at least now there will be. Sorry.

* Trade Justice: http://www.tjm.org.uk/radiohead/
love the coldplay dig. :up:

Kid B on the way. Will these fuckers ever stop trying to be strange and simply write a song?

Nice to see enough class to take a swipe at Coldplay. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'd love if it if U2 did a Kid B in fairness. It'd be a damn sight more interesting than ATYCLB.

intedomine said:
Don't get me wrong though I love Radiohead.

I just think Oasis is better from what I've heard.

Mind you, OK Computer is better than any of the 4 Oasis albums I've heard.

No, see you're not getting it. Zoomeranged is God's appointed arbiter of musical taste here.

Now get in line. :wink:

I only got HTTT recently but am liking it a lot, 'tis a very interesting album in all sorts of ways.

PS Yes Zoomerang I do prefer Radiohead to Oasis, don't worry.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
Kid B on the way. Will these fuckers ever stop trying to be strange and simply write a song?

if this is your mentaility, than they're not your kind of band...obviously...
keep listening to coldplay

and keane
and starsailor
and the Doves
and Travis
and....all the other clones

MrBrau1 said:

Nice to see enough class to take a swipe at Coldplay. :rolleyes:

i suppose you didn't read the article.

for one, that wasn't thom who talked about coldplay. it was the author. i suppose you didn't read that...i understand, i mean, it was a really long article after all, and without pictures to mix it up along the way, it can be really quite tough.

and to your first point, nowhere does it say the songs will be like kid a. it's a process like kid a. perhaps you didn't catch that either? again, no pictures to help paint that picture, a problem?

and if you think kid a and their following albums are too "strange", then indeed, heed basstrap's advice and stick with the formulaic shitrock message boarders at interference praise to no end.

i don't mean to name names *cough cough COLDPLAY *cough cough

...but i guess you didn't read that part either.

financeguy said:

No, see you're not getting it. Zoomeranged is God's appointed arbiter of musical taste here.

Now get in line. :wink:

I only got HTTT recently but am liking it a lot, 'tis a very interesting album in all sorts of ways.

PS Yes Zoomerang I do prefer Radiohead to Oasis, don't worry.

no worries at all. feel free to question my 7udgement... :wink:

you've got good taste, though our opinions do clash at times. that's to be expected though.

Zoomerang96 said:

i suppose you didn't read the article.

for one, that wasn't thom who talked about coldplay. it was the author. i suppose you didn't read that...i understand, i mean, it was a really long article after all, and without pictures to mix it up along the way, it can be really quite tough.

and to your first point, nowhere does it say the songs will be like kid a. it's a process like kid a. perhaps you didn't catch that either? again, no pictures to help paint that picture, a problem?

and if you think kid a and their following albums are too "strange", then indeed, heed basstrap's advice and stick with the formulaic shitrock message boarders at interference praise to no end.

i don't mean to name names *cough cough COLDPLAY *cough cough

...but i guess you didn't read that part either.

You need to read my post again. My comment was on the class of the Coldplay dig, never attributing it to Radiohead.

But thanks for the condescending tone.

Basstrap said:

and keane
and starsailor
and the Doves
and Travis
and....all the other clones

Doves...clones?

Of what?

Fuck...if we are going to talk of CLONES...let's go back in time before Radiohead and Oasis....Let's talk Stone Roses and RIDE and CharlatansUK.

OX4

zoney! said:

Doves...clones?

Of what?

Fuck...if we are going to talk of CLONES...let's go back in time before Radiohead and Oasis....Let's talk Stone Roses and RIDE and CharlatansUK.

OX4

It all started w/ Raiohead, and every band since is copying them.

OX4 is a brilliant tune.:wink: Thought it's fairly obvioues they were ripping of Radiohead, even though it was released in 1992.

Don't get me wrong...I love Radiohead (damn you zoomerang96). But, the reason why I love them so much is because their musical styles and ingenuity is a lot like bands I listened too before Radiohead came around (see bands above).

Check out Ride...they are Radiohead's Oxford neighbors (and, for you Oasis fans, I am sure you know where where Andy Bell came from).

Let's go back a little further. Bauhaus (and Tones on Tail, Love and rockets as well as the solo careers of Peter Murphy, David J and Daniel Ash): Take a listen there and tell me there isn't some influence on Radiohead's ingenuity. In fact, Bauhaus never had a "Pablo Honey" or "The Bends" - they went right to "Kid A"

Zoomerang96 said:

This statement confuses me, my friend.

Basstrap suggests starsailor and Doves as "clones" - is this the "formulaic shitrock message boarders at interference praise to no end" that you speak of?

While I must say I find the Doves to be enjoyable, for the most part...starsailor are pretty bad.

But they both play in the same genre of easy, mid-tempo, melodics..and, yes, it is always formulaic...That sort of mash-up of Radiohead and U2 influences

also, I do not understand how the Stone Roses even begin to enter into this picture

I see the Stone Roses as the current grand daddy's of brit rock or brit pop or anything coming out of Britain these days. They reinvigorated the music scene. I feel that they paved the way for all of the current bands to be 'popular' and/or signed. And Oasis ripped them off.

zonelistener said:

This statement confuses me, my friend.

Basstrap suggests starsailor and Doves as "clones" - is this the "formulaic shitrock message boarders at interference praise to no end" that you speak of?

while i don't like the two bands you mentioned, i would never ever call them "shitrock".

i was speaking more about matchbox twenty/rob thomas/keane garbage that others are going on about.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

You need to read my post again. My comment was on the class of the Coldplay dig, never attributing it to Radiohead.

i know you dish it out at least as good and as often as i do, so i figured you could take it.

and while i think youre bullshiting half the time to get a reaction, there is no denying your intelligence and respectability when it comes to music.

really, when i give you a hard time, i might sound like i hate your guts, but in truth, you're one of my favourite posters at this board.

Zoomerang96 said:

i know you dish it out at least as good and as often as i do, so i figured you could take it.

and while i think youre bullshiting half the time to get a reaction, there is no denying your intelligence and respectability when it comes to music.

really, when i give you a hard time, i might sound like i hate your guts, but in truth, you're one of my favourite posters at this board.

Right back at ya. :wave:

MrBrau1 said:

It's wanky to have a dig at the greatness that is Coldplay.

Anyway enough of that, I'm tired of defending those who are talented on this forum.

I need to get KID A.....have been delaying it for a while...

Already got Bends. OK Comp and HTTT. The latter two are classic albums.

Bends is only half decent.

Anyway, here's a question for Radioheadologists (which I will hopefully become one day)....

If my favourite Radiohead songs are: Myxamatosis, Wolf at the door, Where I End and You Begin, The Gloaming, Paranoid Android, Bones, Exit Music and Lucky.........

what are the chances of me loving KID A more than OK Computer and HTTT?

I guess I'm in the minority, but OK Computer just doesn't come off as a classic. I find it hard to listen to all the way through. Kid A is their greatest masterpiece, IMO. I can play it on repeat all day.

KID A is my fave RH album^ someone who agrees with me on it being more of a masterpeice than OK Computer [in my opinion, at least]...sure its not as approachable and easy to listen as Ok comp. but it is more intriguing and i never get tired of it
:rockon: rock on my A kiddies

for those of us desperate for any small bit of Radiohead news:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-08/23.shtml

Radiohead Start Blog, Track Progress of New LP

Jessica Suarez reports:
Here's a little internet history for ya: back in the day when weblogs were just diaries about whining about your breakup, online journals were almost entirely comprised of Radiohead lyrics and pictures of one's cat. Now that Radiohead has started their own blog, Dead Air Space, to document the creation of their new album, the internet world is about to see some closed loop, snake-eating-its-own-tail shit that could cause a second big internet bust, if not the destruction of the entire space-time continuum.

The band is recording in an as-yet-undisclosed location. In the first week of the blog's existence, all five bandmembers have already posted to it; except for Thom Yorke's entries, the posts consist largely of photographs. Sunday's entry from guitarist Ed O'Brien reads in part, "So here we are in studio recording and it feels right. its only day 4, its really early days but really good things are happening....lots of deconstructing and reassembling. we've been working on mornin' m 'lud and pigsee." We are informed elsewhere on the site that the second song O'Brien refers to, "Pigsee", may also be called "Pig's Ear". Beyond that, the blog contains scant reference to Radiohead's music, choosing to focus on photographs of a dog, a man in a crown making a rude gesture, and someone stroking a potted plant.

* Pitchfork News: Thom Yorke Reveals New Radiohead Album Details!
* Dead Air Space: http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace

2Hearts said:
I guess I'm in the minority, but OK Computer just doesn't come off as a classic. I find it hard to listen to all the way through. Kid A is their greatest masterpiece, IMO. I can play it on repeat all day.

I have just come to the same conclusion this last month. have been listening to KID A on headphones and it is perfect from first trck to last! OK Computer is not. (cant believe i just said that!) OK Computer has some of there best moments but could lose a couple of tracks. KID a is perfect.

^ I agree. There's nothing on Kid A that I skip whereas I always skip Fitter Happier and Electioneering. But Ok Computer is still a classic in my book--couldn't live without it--but Kid A is my favorite Radiohead record and one of my top 5 favorite records ever.

joyfulgirl said:
^ I agree. There's nothing on Kid A that I skip whereas I always skip Fitter Happier and Electioneering. But Ok Computer is still a classic in my book--couldn't live without it--but Kid A is my favorite Radiohead record and one of my top 5 favorite records ever.
I actually like 'fitter happier' (weird, i know) i would drop The Tourist, its just , i dunno sounds like Valium or something? Maybe Electioneering also, but it has great lyrics!

Back
Top Bottom