MERGED-->New Battlestar Galactica + the most politically...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMacPhisto said:
This was supposed to change the world and we've all failed.

Ah but you're wrong. Empty your savings account today. No savings? Sign up for a credit card. Interest rate doesn't matter (this is BSG we're trying to save here!). There is still time to buy!

Dude, it delivers. I'd imagine if you didn't know what was going on you might be lost, but if you're up with the storyline, it's awesome. I dug it. I love the way they tell the story - partial flashbacks that are later completed with other partial flashbacks, like a puzzle. Good stuff. Great characters too.

I also thought it was great. The whole "well we weren't in their shoes so we can't definitively say whether they made the wrong choices/history will be the judge so let's write it" aspect of the ending was quite interesting.

Just watched it tonight, and yes, it was fantastic. As Beav said, if you don't know the story already, this would have been one confusing movie to watch.

I loved how they had the hybrids talk just like the cylons from the original 70's show. That was a nice touch.

"By your command..."

Diemen said:
I also thought it was great. The whole "well we weren't in their shoes so we can't definitively say whether they made the wrong choices/history will be the judge so let's write it" aspect of the ending was quite interesting.

Makes you wonder what other things Adama has done in his life.

Re: Re: Words to live by?

Muldfeld said:

I disagree with you on the political element. I'm positive those who really understand what the show is saying about certain issues will be overjoyed or at least interested. Right now, we've got a bunch of sci fi fans who want it to "have more action" or to avoid drama and just want it to be like all the other predictable sci fi. Advertizing this show for what the projected audience was expected to be and making it looked dumbed down has hurt the show because sci fi fans are frustrated. They don't appreicate political insight or subtle drama; they enjoy Heroes more.

hi

maybe I'm just too:yawn: tired-out from the day to read you correctly as to whom you are pointing out- --
but I and a bunch of my friends who are long time SF fans in both books & nedia really love psychcological drama/ exploration of the bigger picture of the human condition (and how other sapients etc reflect it), and how it's also reflected in political stakes, as well as good action scenes. Plus the sheer wonder of being "out there" amongst the stars.

I saw most of 1 & 2 missed most of 3 (no cable, I used to watch it a friend's while house-sitting when it was at the older time/date.

I happen to there this past weekend when Razor was on!
:hyper: :

I love the show and at least I can read all the synopsis's of Season 3 beofre the next...unless I can find a good buy on S3 DVD first !
:whistle: ( Santy Claus is coming to Town! :D )

I'd definately recommend Babylon 5 --
5 seasons <each season = 1 yr in story> done as one GIGANTIC Novel , as well. :)
drama/action/big, BIG picture/humour .

also HIGHLY recoomend David Brin's "Uplift Universe" <book>series.:drool: Can't wan't (however long it takes for him to return there- he likes to switch around) :hyper: for the next exploration.

cool avi, NSW.
my ignorance-- is it X-box related?

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Words to live by?

dazzledbylight said:

hi

maybe I'm just too:yawn: tired-out from the day to read you correctly as to whom you are pointing out- --
but I and a bunch of my friends who are long time SF fans in both books & nedia really love psychcological drama/ exploration of the bigger picture of the human condition (and how other sapients etc reflect it), and how it's also reflected in political stakes, as well as good action scenes. Plus the sheer wonder of being "out there" amongst the stars.

I saw most of 1 & 2 missed most of 3 (no cable, I used to watch it a friend's while house-sitting when it was at the older time/date.

I happen to there this past weekend when Razor was on!
:hyper: :

I love the show and at least I can read all the synopsis's of Season 3 beofre the next...unless I can find a good buy on S3 DVD first !
:whistle: ( Santy Claus is coming to Town! :D )
Then you and your friends are special. If you look at the sci fi message boards but also listen to things like the "Frakparty" podcast of Ron Moore talking to hardcore BSG fans, they don't' seem interested in drama at all. Especially the sci fi community of influential websites like IGN and especially mania.com (formerly Cinescape) just don't appreciate the show's subtlety.

I'm so glad you and your friends enjoy the show because too many fans want the show to be like Stargate and all the other usual crap sci fi, and even the mainstream media has tossed this show aside in favor of gossipy popular shows like "Lost" and putrid trash like "Grey's Anatomy", "Desperate Housewives" and other nonsense.

Those of us who appreciate BSG's uniqueness are in the minority. Most seem to appreciate the action; they may love elements of the drama, but most fail to recognize the true genius of the show in portraying "the other" and realistic dimensions of the show. Most keep saying, "please don't make my favorite character an evil cylon" and totally miss the point that the cylons are just "the other" we dehumanize; they're just as human! They also whine and whine about "boring" stand-alones and mostly watch the show for massive action sequences; they keep wanting the show to keep with the usual formula of good versus evil; personally, I'm bored by action, which is why I was very disappointed in Season 2 until "Pegasus" and felt "Exodus" and massive 2-parters "Torn"/"A Measure of Salvation" and "Eye of Jupiter"/"Rapture" were wasted opportunities at more intense drama; everything felt sketchy, as so many dramatic scenes were cut for time.

By the way, Season 3 is coming out in March and if you keep checking amazon, you should be able to get a good preorder price. The incredible "Unfinished Business" is getting an extended treatment of 25 extra minutes; sadly, other episodes don't seem to have been extended, and I feel this would have helped the aforementioned episodes a lot!

Anyway, the brilliant "Occupation"/"Precipice" is airing this Sunday 10pm Eastern on Canada's Space. Among the best of the series. 10/10!

Last edited:
Help needed:

I did not watch Season 3, but will on DVD. The DVD of Season 3 is not yet released. However, I did purchase the "Razor" DVD.

My question is, do I need to watch Season 3 first, or, can I go ahead and watch Razor???

Thanks.

No spoken words said:
Help needed:

I did not watch Season 3, but will on DVD. The DVD of Season 3 is not yet released. However, I did purchase the "Razor" DVD.

My question is, do I need to watch Season 3 first, or, can I go ahead and watch Razor???

Thanks.

Season 3, then Razor.

It's as much of a sequel as it is a prequel - like the Twin Peaks movie.

My best friend and Trekkie has gotten into BSG recently, too, so this is exciting. She's only on Season 1 though.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Season 3, then Razor.

It's as much of a sequel as it is a prequel - like the Twin Peaks movie.

My best friend and Trekkie has gotten into BSG recently, too, so this is exciting. She's only on Season 1 though.

I watched Season 1 as it aired...well, the Pilot as it aired, then Season 1....started Season 2, then for reasons I forget, stopped.....so I re-watched 1 on DVD, then plowed right into 2 and 2.5, and that's where I am at.

I shall hold off on watching Razor, then, YLB. Thanks.

I was about halfway through Season 3 when I started getting busy and missing episodes... I'll wait until the DVD to catch up.

You're welcome.

Technically NSW, you could watch Razor since you saw the episodes regarding Admiral Cain back in Season 2.

However, there are some subtle references to things that have gone on since then, so perhaps it's just better to watch everything in the order of their air date.

And when the new season starts, I'm starting a new thread on this, if only to get "most politically" out of the title...

Back
Top Bottom