MERGED-->New Battlestar Galactica + the most politically...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phanan said:
You need to start with the mini-series as Beav alluded to. It's on it's own DVD set. Season One then goes from there.

I remember when I first saw the mini-series. I wasn't entirely sold on the show. But once the first season began, I was hooked. It gets better as you go.
Actually, it depends where you buy stuff. In the UK, the miniseries is sold separately, and Season 1 has 4 discs. The chain store "Best Buy" was the only one in the US initially to sell only the UK sets.

However, in North America, Season 1 includes the miniseries, so it has 5 discs, and it's quite a bargain. I even visited a "Best Buy" last month and they were only selling the North American set.

Personally, I loved the miniseries, but it can feel long because.....well, it IS long, but there's so much texture that make things feel very real, too. Season 1 is amazing, though.

Last edited:
UberBeaver said:
Boxie in in the mini-series, but not the show, deep. You might want to keep that in mind.

ok

what I did

I signed up at my local rental store

hollywood video

I have watched all of season one

4 disc

16 episodes

here is an episode list I found

but damn they end with

episode 16 Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 1

not

episode 17 Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 2

and season 2

begins with

episode 18 Scattered

it seems 17 is important

boomer shoots somebody?

ok

after reading Muldfeld

it looks like I missed the 5th disc

with one episode on it

Disc #5 -- Battlestar Galactica: Season One
1. Raptor Down [5:11]
2. Homecoming [7:38]
3. The Chosen One [18:32]
4. A New Generation [12:37]

looks like that add up to one episode.

deep said:
ok

after reading Muldfeld

it looks like I missed the 5th disc

with one episode on it

Disc #5 -- Battlestar Galactica: Season One
1. Raptor Down [5:11]
2. Homecoming [7:38]
3. The Chosen One [18:32]
4. A New Generation [12:37]

looks like that add up to one episode.
Absolutely. Those must be the subchapter names on the DVD. You'd better watch that episode. I personally found the first half of Season 2, called 2.0 in North America kinda slow and lacking in political commentary. However, the last episode "Pegasus" is redone on 2.5 in extended form, and it's the beginning of some great stuff!

Watch the extended version of "Pegasus" on 2.5 not the 42 minute one.

I'm guessing you're enjoying it to have gone through so much so quickly!

Last edited:
Fans of Romo Lamkin should know he's recorded extra podcast commentaries for the episodes in which he starred.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/downloads/podcast/season03/
Usually they place these podcasts as audio commentaries on the DVD sets, but I don't know if they'll be able to do that with Romo Lamkin's ones since they paused the episode to talk more, and I don't know how they'll synch the video with the audio podcast on the DVD.

Anyway, it's still great to have, and did anyone notice he was in a Season 1 episode of The X-Files as a guy who can start fires? I had a suspicion it might be him, but I wasn't sure at the time. :)

A marathon of Season 3 started on Sci-fi today and will run until Friday every day 8 am-3 pm.

I'll be caught up soon. :drool:

Muldfeld said:

Absolutely. Those must be the subchapter names on the DVD. You'd better watch that episode. I personally found the first half of Season 2, called 2.0 in North America kinda slow and lacking in political commentary. However, the last episode "Pegasus" is redone on 2.5 in extended form, and it's the beginning of some great stuff!

I liked the first half of Season 2, when Colonel Tigh was trying to run things. It really opened up just how flawed a character he really is.

Pegasus is definitely one of the highlights of the entire series so far.

Cult TV show Battlestar Galactica will end early next year, the program's makers have confirmed. The final fourth season of the sci-fi show will be broadcast on U.S. cable network Sci Fi Channel from November. Executive producers Ronald Moore and David Eick released a statement, saying, "This show was always meant to have a beginning, a middle and, finally, an end. Over the course of the last year, the story and the characters have been moving strongly toward that end, and we've decided to listen to those internal voices and conclude the show on our own terms. And while we know our fans will be saddened to know the end is coming, they should brace themselves for a wild ride getting there - we're going out with a bang."

That makes me both sad and excited. I like well thought out endings, I think it makes the quality better over the long run.

Yeah, but you know what? I've noticed that with shoes that go out on top, I'm more likely to watch it over and over. Arrested Development and The BBC Office had 2-3 season each, and I watch them way more than anything else. BSG will probably turn into one of those. The X-Files - I loved it, but it just went too long, and now I have zero desire to watch it.

Muldfeld said:

Watch the extended version of "Pegasus" on 2.5 not the 42 minute one.

I'm guessing you're enjoying it to have gone through so much so quickly!

Yes

I did enjoy it thourorly

there was a lot to absorb in 2-3 and sometimes 4 episodes a night

I think I would have enjoyed the ride
a bit more on a weekly bases

LemonMacPhisto said:
A marathon of Season 3 started on Sci-fi today and will run until Friday every day 8 am-3 pm.

I'll be caught up soon. :drool:

I caught all those on my dvr

and have watched them all

It really is a great series

the writers do a good job
intertwining current topics into the scripts

torture, suicide bombers, abortion and religion in elections, and they do a good job of blurring the lines.

season 3 spoiler below:

--------------------------------------------

small complaint

in the last episode

I felt they gave up too much

with the reveal of the 4 cylons

and the 5th one was pretty obvious

and it is too bad
that we know you who is no longer in consideration

UberBeaver said:
Cult TV show Battlestar Galactica will end early next year, the program's makers have confirmed. The final fourth season of the sci-fi show will be broadcast on U.S. cable network Sci Fi Channel from November. Executive producers Ronald Moore and David Eick released a statement, saying, "This show was always meant to have a beginning, a middle and, finally, an end. Over the course of the last year, the story and the characters have been moving strongly toward that end, and we've decided to listen to those internal voices and conclude the show on our own terms. And while we know our fans will be saddened to know the end is coming, they should brace themselves for a wild ride getting there - we're going out with a bang."

That makes me both sad and excited. I like well thought out endings, I think it makes the quality better over the long run.

I thought I could shield you from the terrible news, my friends, but I can't protect you from this cruel world. You now know the truth about BSG. Next, you'll want to know where babies come from...... Terrible joke, but, anyway, there were rumors floating around a month ago when Edward James Olmos and Katie Sakhoff stated it would be the last season; I didn't say anything and hoped they got it wrong, and that the writers might persuade the network to change it's mind.

Here's as much of the transcript as I've been able to find:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2007/06/battlestar_gala_1.html

Also, the 4th season won't begin until early next year. The press keeps confusing the 2-hour TV special airing in November which will tie into Season 4, but is really a story set in the past. It will be available for sale the following week.

UberBeaver said:
Yeah, but you know what? I've noticed that with shoes that go out on top, I'm more likely to watch it over and over. Arrested Development and The BBC Office had 2-3 season each, and I watch them way more than anything else. BSG will probably turn into one of those. The X-Files - I loved it, but it just went too long, and now I have zero desire to watch it.

My only problem with that argument which a lot of fans have been putting forth is that the show has not shown itself to be running out of themes or other creative ideas. I think it's too soon. The mistakes made this past year are to do with pacing, rushing things because they have so much to pack into an episode. It's a huge problem that wasn't really there in Season 1. I've really liked some of the standalones, but hated "The Passage" and some of "Hero" and "The Woman King", but that probably had something to do with the network pressuring them to have stand alones to bring in new audience members.

What really killed the X-Files was not being able to find new themes: Scully's theme of following Mulder in the face of career suicide was interesting in Season 2's ''Colony"/"Endgame", acceptably repeated in Season 4's "Tunguska"/"Terma", but annoyingly exploited in the film and in conjunction with using Diana Fowley in Season 6. Mulder's faith was tested over and over. Skinner was depicted as a potential enemy, but it was unbelievable by Season 7, and then they just beat that dead horse in the Season 9 premiere with Doggett not trusting him. The interesting scepticism of Scully and faith on Mulder's part were getting tired in Season 7, and, while things did rejuvenate a bit with Doggett and Scully becoming full-fledged believer, the dynamic of Mulder and Scully was just displaced onto Doggett and the annoying Reyes. Even the theme of Scully seeking religious faith in time of need, was used again with Doggett praying for Reyes in Season 9. The writers just couldn't come up with new themes, despite trying really hard. The only theme that was continually well-handled was about loss. And yet, even if the show started to decline in Seson 6 and 7 and on, these seasons still had some great mythology episodes. It could be that if they were forced to end things, they would have just pushed up solving the conspiracy and Samantha's disappearance, but I still think the mythology was really strong through Season 5, and things just wouldn't have been the same if the show had to end in, say, Season 4.

BSG is so full of innovative themes and dynamics partly because they have so many characters. Season 3 was all about the politics of collaboration in an occupied regime, and really allows us to understand the complexities faced in Vichy France, or Israeli-occupied Palestine and Lebanon, or British-occupied Ireland. It hasn't shown any signs of running out of ideas. It's just too soon, especially to give all the characters their due. There's so much we don't know about Caprica 6, Gaeta, the black cylon Simon, and so little of Tom Zarek was used in Season 3.

deep said:

I caught all those on my dvr

and have watched them all

It really is a great series

the writers do a good job
intertwining current topics into the scripts

torture, suicide bombers, abortion and religion in elections, and they do a good job of blurring the lines.

small complaint: in the last episode I felt they gave up too much with the reveal of the 4 cylons and the 5th one was pretty obvious, and it is too bad
that we know you who is no longer in consideration
I'm so glad you're enjoying the show! Regarding the final cylon, I was pretty sure it was Starbuck, too, but don't be so sure. Ron Moore hasn't conceded that, while admitting that she did die. It'll be an interesting wait, huh?

Last edited:
Here are some interviews about the end and such, including some video:

The (kinda) full telephone press conference announcing the end:
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2007/06/battlestar_gala_1.html
A very recent article summarising in 3 pages the public press conference, at which attended Eick, Moore, and the actors playing Bill Adama, Roslin, Lee Adama, Starbuck, and D'Anna Byers.
http://tv.ign.com/articles/795/795076p1.html

Video interview of Ron Moore just before the event:
http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/4581/tcid/1
Video interview with Roslin and also Apollo, who's very funny, even if he's a moron for wanting the show to end; he's lucky he got so much more to play than many actors this last season; we still know nothing about Caprica 6!
http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/4594/tcid/1
Another show I'd recommend and have in Zoo Station is The 4400 for the same reasons, except it's not quite there yet, but it's really improving.

Diemen said:
That blows. Waiting until January was bad enough.

At least I'll have time to finish Season 3 on DVD and Razor, but goddamn.

Sci-Fi just doesn't want it to end, do they?

That's the problem, though. Ron is ending it early BECAUSE they almost didn't give him a 4th season and wouldn't guarantee a 5th season. They could at least be honest about the fact they're splitting the last into 2 seasons and give them the minimum 13 episodes for each. That way, Ron and his writers would get to explore even more of the characters and things wouldn't feel as rushed as Season 3.

I wouldn't mind the delays and proposed splitting of seasons if they granted them more episodes, but this is just unfair to the fans and especially the actors (Eddie Olmos is devastated and offered to give up his salary if it helped, and I'm sure James Callis loves the show just as much) and writers. I"m gonna write to Bonnie Hammer, President of Sci Fi and to Mark Stern head of programming for Sci Fi over the Christmas break to see if they'll do what's right. They even advertize it like morons. What political non-sci fi fan is gonna watch a show that's explicitly advertized as sci fi action with babes? They're gonna think it's Voyager or some crap.

James Callis even said how he went for some audition in the off-season and the woman who greeted him said, "You're show was cancelled, right?"
Callis: "What? No."
Woman: "You're from Stargate, right?"
Callis: "No, Battlestar Galactica"
Woman: "Right, Stargate, Battlestar; same thing."
Callis: "No, it's not the same thing."

He goes on to say, embarassed at having to recount this, at how he "kind of got on his pedestal and started saying 'You know, you really should watch it. It's very important and it's good for America...' "

I love James Callis, especially for these words at around the 25 second mark, which I live by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fos3nxMXRYc

You can't advertise a show as "the most politically influential show on television," otherwise you risk sounded like a bunch of douchebags. Catering to the casual sci-fi/action crowd will help get immediate viewers and get some to stick around for the long run.

In the end, it's an enjoyable television show, and I'd hate to see it end but how much more story is there to tell now after Starbuck says she's been to Earth? Not much.

Re: Words to live by?

LemonMacPhisto said:
You can't advertise a show as "the most politically influential show on television," otherwise you risk sounded like a bunch of douchebags. Catering to the casual sci-fi/action crowd will help get immediate viewers and get some to stick around for the long run.

In the end, it's an enjoyable television show, and I'd hate to see it end but how much more story is there to tell now after Starbuck says she's been to Earth? Not much.
Well the show isn't really about finding Earth. It's about exploring the human condition and human nature and all the political dilemmas we currently face and perhaps have faced for centuries.

I disagree with you on the political element. I'm positive those who really understand what the show is saying about certain issues will be overjoyed or at least interested. Right now, we've got a bunch of sci fi fans who want it to "have more action" or to avoid drama and just want it to be like all the other predictable sci fi. Advertizing this show for what the projected audience was expected to be and making it looked dumbed down has hurt the show because sci fi fans are frustrated. They don't appreicate political insight or subtle drama; they enjoy Heroes more.

Those who care about the issues Ron Moore cares about will better understand and appreciate the show. The only problem is those people don't know about the show yet. And those it's advertized to don't appreciate its uniqueness.

Diemen said:

:scratch:

All he's saying is to tell people to watch his tv show.
Well, he's speaking with passion and saying to "proseletyze people" and I know from other interviews that he feels at least as passionately as I do about its political implications for improving the culture, if not much more. Same with Edward James Olmos, who says it's his best work ever.

Last edited:
its political implications for improving the culture, if not much more.

Oh come on. Are you seriously suggesting that Battlestar Galactica has the power to improve our culture and possibly more, if only we get more people to watch it?

Judging from your absolute obsessiveness over this and 4400, I think you put waaay too much stock into entertainment that happens to have intelligent social commentary. Look, BSG is a fantastic tv show, possibly the best right now and by far one of my favorite series ever. It does raise a lot of questions and provides interesting and intelligent commentary on the human condition, but a movement for cultural change it is not. That's almost delusional.

Last edited:
I love the show, and think it's pretty landmark, but I have to agree with Diemen completely.

Mentioning it to Daniel Lanois in a Q&A about his documentary was equally an exercise in futility and exaggerated optimism.

But it's all artists can do, and you have to recognize that this is what motivates all great artists, including U2 wanting to write the political songs they wrote in the '80s and '90s. It's one more thing to help change
the world.

I used to get so excited about politicians changing the world, but I've felt so let down -- most recently by Obama and Clinton -- because they are so tempted to do anything to win. We have to get to the root causes and impoact the underlying culture.
TV and movies have a huge influence in our lives, and have an educational fuction, whether good or bad. Bush's entire conception of machismo comes from TV, movies and stereotypes about what a man or leader should be that have been spread through media. There's nothing Texan about his heritage, but he tries to live out this odd insecure ideal.

Fictional notions of good versus evil are what has led to a far more brutal US policy than would otherwise occur. These shows fight against that supposition and provide a new form of understanding that's very much missing from the mainstream and most TV and movies. The belong among such great films as "Babel" in showing how cruelty happens in the world.

Most Americans have never met a Palestinian or an Iranian, but the highly negative perception is related to the news but also to highly stereotypical, downright racist caricatures about the irrationality of the Muslim in the Middle East -- in a similar way white settlers probably viewed native Americans as barbarians. These things work at a subconscious level, so that when a tragedy like 9/11 happens, people rush to follow racist assertions and connections instead of understanding "the other". These shows are among the very few that can help reverse the decades of damage from natioanalist TV. It may be a small part of the puzzle, but it's something, and it's something unquestionably positive, and I believe in these writers for doing this, and I support them in their quest because it's really all I can do as a non-American and citizen of the world. The world is better off with shows like these, especially if they break out into the wider culture and affect how people think about the world.

What I said to Mr. Lanois was not futile. It was a fan of art communicating to an artist how much that art had affected him. I'm quite sure he understood very well how important that motivation was. And I think U2 would fall in love with these shows and it might help them write better, more complexely true lyrics. In this way, the message of one medium would affect another. U2 often have literary and film inspirations for their songs. What I did was completely rational and I'm proud I did it.

Last edited:
Muldfeld said:
U2 often have literary and film inspirations for their songs. What I did was completely rational and I'm proud I did it.

So you're putting this TV show up there with the Bible, Brukowski, Ginsberg, Wenders, Lewis, and the other great writers and movies Bono's listed as inspiration over the years?

You're talking about a band that has traveled the world, has seen a lot more than you and I, have talked to some of the greater minds of our town, have hung out with legends, have talked to world leaders... and you still think this sci-fi TV show is going to shape their world?

I'm sorry but it's laughable. You're projecting your small understanding of the world onto their lives.

Back
Top Bottom