MERGED-->New Battlestar Galactica + the most politically...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UberBeaver said:
Oh, and this weeks episode:

"IT'S IN THE SHIP!"

Yeah, what is going on with Tory?

Do you think the 5 "judges" are the five Cylons? Remember in the mini-series (I think it was) when one of the Cylons said that Adama is a Cylon? Maybe it will all tie back.

Interesting theory. We did see five lights in the preview, so I guess anything is possible.

Can't wait to see how this plays out.

UberBeaver said:
You're entering into the episodes where it slows down a bit. They become sort of filler for a while, but don't worry. It picks up. And then the first part of Season 3 really kicks some ass.

The end of Season 2 and beginning of Season 3 has some of the best episodes ever.

:drool:

I have to admit I felt a little disappointed in the breakdown between Lee and his dad. It felt extremely rushed - a spur of the moment rash decision, and that's not something I'd expect from the Admiral. Definitely adds to the drama, though.

phanan said:
If one does a google search on the first sentence of Muldfeld's post, you'll see that he is posting this same thing at other sites like NBC and moby.com.

I don't mind the attention for BSG, but this could be considered spamming.

Whoa! How'd you even think to do this? In all fairness, I'm prepared to discuss the subject with folks, and get them into it, so I really mean it as an attention-getting message, and if people respond, great. I also only post it in appropriate discussion areas. You know the rumor that this show will get cancelled after 13 episodes of Season 4 if it doesn't improve in the ratings, right? I love this show, and more people need to know about it.

I think spamming is putting up stuff to annoy people. This is getting the word out. I've managed to get at least one nice person on The Tonight Show message board to give it a go! I didn't know there was a discussion area here on this. It would be a shame if this incredible show got cancelled and formulaic stuff like Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, CSI, The Shield, and even Lost survived. I've just been trying to make up for Sci Fi's incompetence in marketing this as just another sci fi show with sexy people. It took me a long time to type that message and it says all I want it to say without having too many spoilers.

That said, I won't be seeking out fans on boards until after the finale because I'm scared as heck fans of the show will be discussing spoilers.

Last edited:
flybabe said:

That Is where I know you from:wave:Dude,you picked the right place to come :yes:

Thanks, bub. I have to say this board is pretty confusing for a first timer, though. So many sections with confusing names.

flybabe said:

I am A girl for starters:wink:

"Bub" can refer to a female.....Though I actually don't remember consciously thinking about your gender, it would be pretty funny for a male to refer to himself as a babe.....though I guess guys can be babes. I suppose when I answer someone on a message board, I'm unconsciously assuming it's a male. You caught me! Sorry. :)

Muldfeld said:

Whoa! How'd you even think to do this? In all fairness, I'm prepared to discuss the subject with folks, and get them into it, so I really mean it as an attention-getting message, and if people respond, great. I also only post it in appropriate discussion areas. You know the rumor that this show will get cancelled after 13 episodes of Season 4 if it doesn't improve in the ratings, right? I love this show, and more people need to know about it.

Fair enough.

Muldfeld said:

I think spamming is putting up stuff to annoy people. This is getting the word out. I've managed to get at least one nice person on The Tonight Show message board to give it a go! I didn't know there was a discussion area here on this. It would be a shame if this incredible show got cancelled and formulaic stuff like Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, CSI, The Shield, and even Lost survived. I've just been trying to make up for Sci Fi's incompetence in marketing this as just another sci fi show with sexy people. It took me a long time to type that message and it says all I want it to say without having too many spoilers.

That said, I won't be seeking out fans on boards until after the finale because I'm scared as heck fans of the show will be discussing spoilers.

We have a small, dedicated BSG group here in this thread, and we don't discuss what happens until after the episode has aired, so we're pretty much spoiler free.

Can't wait for Sunday night, although it's gonna be a long wait after that.

Sorry I haven't returned in a while. I've been kinda stressed about personal stuff. I've also been afraid to read any possible rumors or spoilers about the season finale. However, I wanted to let you guys know that we have to get the word out on this show or it is very likely to not make it past Season 4, due to dropping ratings. In the words of James Callis at a 2006 convention in Toronto, "Genuinely you can proselytize people. People who don't watch it, don't see it, don't know... they're people who are missing out."

http://www.syfyportal.com/news423319.html

The show has gotten an order of 22 episodes, including a direct to DVD movie that will air on TV in the Fall.
http://www.syfyportal.com/news423435.html

I hope y'all have been enjoying the first part of the finale. I certainly have. I'm so glad Lee and Tyrol have been getting much more of their due this season, compared with the second! By the way, Baltar is innocent and I'll fight anyone who wants to argue with me! :)

Last edited:
Just wanted to post this new interview by Ron Moore on how he writes political commentary and realistic morally-ambiguous characters for the show. He also says, due to dropping ratings, this could be the last season. I'm very worried. It won't start up until January in 2008, so we have time to spread the word, folks. Let's convert some fans.

Also, I should be clear that, when Ron Moore refers to his work on Star Trek, he means Star Trek: The Next Generation, which he often criticizes. He has had nothing but positive experiences on Deep Space Nine, the most politcally-insightful of Trek (in many ways, an early incarnation of BSG in how it approached story themes and character). He even learned his open-minded managing style from the executive producer and head writer from Season 3 onward, Ira Steven Behr.

http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2007/03/24/battlestar/

Last edited:
phanan said:

Fair enough.

We have a small, dedicated BSG group here in this thread, and we don't discuss what happens until after the episode has aired, so we're pretty much spoiler free.

Can't wait for Sunday night, although it's gonna be a long wait after that.

Just wanted everyone to know that

the finale will be 5 MINUTES LONGER than on average,

and to set your DVRs or VCRs appropriately to at least 10 extra minutes, so says Sci Fi message boards. I should have posted this sooner, but I forgot.

Anyway, it's great to have another discussion group. www.ateaseweb.com has a small one, too, but I've been pretty much the only one on atu2.com.

Muldfeld said:
Also, I should be clear that, when Ron Moore refers to his work on Star Trek, he means Star Trek: The Next Generation, which he often criticizes. He has had nothing but positive experiences on Deep Space Nine, the most politcally-insightful of Trek (in many ways, an early incarnation of BSG in how it approached story themes and character). He even learned his open-minded managing style from the executive producer and head writer from Season 3 onward, Ira Steven Behr.

Deep Space Nine was indeed a dirtier, grittier Star Trek (Bablyon 5 is the same way), but I think Moore's work on TNG was just as good.

I just finished the last episode of Season 2 :hyper:

When will Season 3 start reruns? And is it important for me to see the webisodes?

I don't know about the reruns. Tonight is the season finale, I believe.

The webisodes fill you in on life in New Caprica and the resistance. They more or less center on two of the periphery character - Duck and Jammer. They're kinda cool, they were good filler while the show was off the air. I don't think you'll miss anything in season 3 if you miss them though, other than a reference here and there.

Alright, sounds good.

I'll wait until the Season 3 DVDs if they aren't reran after the finale.

phanan said:

Deep Space Nine was indeed a dirtier, grittier Star Trek (Bablyon 5 is the same way), but I think Moore's work on TNG was just as good.

He doesn't, and I tend to agree, as I've rewatched the eps since my pre-teen and teen years. I really think he grew as a writer, in part because Ira Behr let him do more of what he wanted. He's talked a lot about his disagreements on TNG. TNG's characters just didn't develop much, beyond Picard and Data, and the drama was mostly about the Enterprise crew sorting out the troubles of petty alien races, so the view always believed petty people had conflicts, not human beings, and it's hard to make people think about their lives and the world they affect, if the show is always telling them problems are caused by others (including some renegade Star Fleet guy), not us. I've felt this about DS9, which wasn't nearly as ambitious as BSG, before I heard Ron Moore express these feelings.

I've pasted the link to the pages in which Ron discusses working on DS9 and Rick Berman's interference. Just click on the other pages at the bottom to pick any of the other 18 pages. Ira Behr sounds like such a nice guy!

http://movies.ign.com/articles/444/444306p8.html

Here's another from back when Cinescape was actually a quality website. It's an interview with Ron Moore from January 2000, in which Ron discusses Star Trek and mostly points out the problems with how Voyager was written.

Part 1:
http://www.mania.com/18708.html
Part 2:
http://www.mania.com/18741.html
Part 3:
http://www.mania.com/18843.html
Part 4:
http://www.mania.com/18860.html
Part 5:
http://www.mania.com/18949.html
Part 6:
http://www.mania.com/18971.html
Part 7:
http://www.mania.com/18998.html

Last edited:
Anway, regarding the finale, not to rain on anyone's parade, since I love the show, I liked some of the plot, but I was a bit disappointed in the focus on the whole music thing and some of the lack of texture. There should have been more dialogue and much more of the trial, which made the previous 2 eps so great to me. This dragged a bit. Also, the use of "All Along the Watchtower" was odd. I still have to rewatch the ep, but my immediate reaction was annoyance, especially since they didn't use the original, and I thought it made things look cheesy. However, maybe the use of a cover is to hide the time period of Earth, though I'm not sure that was the intended effect. Also, it made things sound cheesy, as though it were composed by a no-name band for TV.

The things I loved: the very end, Lee's great speech that was not only dramatically enjoyable and tied much of the season's theme of the politics of collaboration, but was true to life and how we approach justice in our own world. Stuff like this is what puts this so far beyond "Lost," whose dramatic motivations feel contrived somehow. One of the things that makes this show so great is the ability to find new themes. There's so much the writers are able to find to talk about -- and the source of the real world sounds so simple, but it's brilliant and difficult. This season has made a step up to me from last in one aspect: providing Lee and Tyrol with more drama, which was often sacrificed to give Starbuck more time, I think.

In terms of the finale, I just wanted much more of the trial. I felt the focus was off for a finale, especially when "Lay Down Your Burdens" ranked with "Pegasus" as the most dramatically-satisfying as well as politically-insightful story to date. I think a lot of this season's weakness might have something to do with Ron Moore not writing these stories from scratch. He only wrote 2 eps. They began the season and those were the absolute best. Otherwise, he does a rewrite and I'm not sure he puts as much effort into it. That's what I think Exodus lacked in its rushed plot, which are typical of Weddle and Thompson -- the worst writers on DS9. I think once Ron Moore starts personally writing eps again, the magic will come back. Just take a look at how amazing a Season One ep like "Water" or "Kobol's Last Gleaming" were. They have so much in their execution of the plot that it transcends what others might do. Then again, arguably the best eps of the series, "Pegasus" and "Lay Down Your Burdens Part 2" were initially written by Anne Coffell Saunders and the latter cowritted by Mark Verheiden, who wrote this season's 2-parter. Also, most of Season One was written by others but consistently acheieved near perfection. Maybe the magic of those 2 eps and most of Season One came from Ron Moore's rewrite and he just didn't do it to my satisfaction this time. Maybe Verheiden's magic was off. Maybe I'll think differently when I rewatch the ep.

Last edited:
Muldfeld said:
Anway, regarding the finale, not to rain on anyone's parade, since I love the show, I liked some of the plot, but I was a bit disappointed in the focus on the whole music thing and some of the lack of texture. There should have been more dialogue and much more of the trial, which made the previous 2 eps so great to me. This dragged a bit. Also, the use of "All Along the Watchtower" was odd. I still have to rewatch the ep, but my immediate reaction was annoyance, especially since they didn't use the original, and I thought it made things look cheesy. However, maybe the use of a cover is to hide the time period of Earth, though I'm not sure that was the intended effect. Also, it made things sound cheesy, as though it were composed by a no-name band for TV.

The things I loved: the very end, Lee's great speech that was not only dramatically enjoyable and tied much of the season's theme of the politics of collaboration, but was true to life and how we approach justice in our own world. Stuff like this is what puts this so far beyond "Lost," whose dramatic motivations feel contrived somehow. One of the things that makes this show so great is the ability to find new themes. There's so much the writers are able to find to talk about -- and the source of the real world sounds so simple, but it's brilliant and difficult. This season has made a step up to me from last in one aspect: providing Lee and Tyrol with more drama, which was often sacrificed to give Starbuck more time, I think.

In terms of the finale, I just wanted much more of the trial. I felt the focus was off for a finale, especially when "Lay Down Your Burdens" ranked with "Pegasus" as the most dramatically-satisfying as well as politically-insightful story to date. I think a lot of this season's weakness might have something to do with Ron Moore not writing these stories from scratch. He only wrote 2 eps. They began the season and those were the absolute best. Otherwise, he does a rewrite and I'm not sure he puts as much effort into it. That's what I think Exodus lacked in its rushed plot, which are typical of Weddle and Thompson -- the worst writers on DS9. I think once Ron Moore starts personally writing eps again, the magic will come back. Just take a look at how amazing a Season One ep like "Water" or "Kobol's Last Gleaming" were. They have so much in their execution of the plot that it transcends what others might do. Then again, arguably the best eps of the series, "Pegasus" and "Lay Down Your Burdens Part 2" were initially written by Anne Coffell Saunders and the latter cowritted by Mark Verheiden, who wrote this season's 2-parter. Also, most of Season One was written by others but consistently acheieved near perfection. Maybe the magic of those 2 eps and most of Season One came from Ron Moore's rewrite and he just didn't do it to my satisfaction this time. Maybe Verheiden's magic was off. Maybe I'll think differently when I rewatch the ep.

I have to disagree here on a couple of points.

The trial story arc was already intertwined with the mysterious music in the last episode, so of course that was going to continue here. I like how the trial ended and that it showed how Baltar might be even more vulnerable than ever, and what his future may hold. And the trial itself was very well done - you can't get much better dialogue than the part with Lee Adama on the stand.

As for the music, yes, it seemed a bit strange at first that the song was All Along The Watchtower, but in the end, it worked because the music in this version was absolutely riveting with what was going on. If anything, if they had used the original version, it would have been real cheesy then. In this case, how the music blended in with the scenes added even more drama to what was going on, especially at the end.

UberBeaver said:
So Starbuck - Cylon? Or Something else all together? Same for the others - are they really Cylons, or do they really just dig Bob Dylan?

Poor Ceelix.

I've been wrestling with this since the show ended.

It's obvious that they are the Final Five, but who is the fifth? Surely, if they all heard the music, the last one would have as well. Unless the last one wasn't around to hear it, which in this case would point to Starbuck.

But is Starbuck really a Cylon, or the Chosen One, or a combination of both?

Or is the last one someone other than Starbuck? Perhaps it's a person who we thought was already dead, thus not being in the fleet anymore, yet could still be downloaded into a new body. If that's the case, who would it be?

Remember D'Anna's reaction when she saw one of them? Would that reaction have come from seeing one of the four we know now? I don't believe so. This also makes me wonder if Starbuck really is the fifth one. I'm thinking she's not - that she really is the Chosen One and that's it. It's gotta be someone else.

Also, this means that Chief and Cally's baby is now the second Human/Cylon hybrid alive.

Yeah, I was thinking about Chief's and Cally's ( :cute: ) kid. Nicolas (?). I'm still not 100% convinced that they are Cylons. I was thinking that Tighe is too old, no? He's known Adama 30-40 years. Unless of course - Adama is one too. But he too seems too old. So many questions. And now we have to wait a year. :ohmy:

I agree about Tigh's age. I thought the Final Five all happened at the same time, so wouldn't they all be about the same age?

But I'm pretty sure they are Cylons - we'll just need more information to find out how they came to be the way they are.

Of course, we won't get that until January! :mad:

Isn't their going to be a direct to DVD Galactica movie before Season 4 is released?

:hmm:

*covers eyes from Season 3 talk*

Back
Top Bottom