MERGED--> Lost Season 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've already seen Ben's dad, he's Roger Workman from the Dharma van, and he's a skeleton.

sindaddy said:

How will Ben react when he finds out that Hurley saw the cabin, and the folks inside?

OMG!!!! I had not thought about that. Hurley could see!!!!

Jacob is probably the creator of the Dharma Initiative. Alvar Hanso. I think that's the conventional wisdom among the geeks.

I get 'lost' myself in the mythology of who is at war here.

Here's the why I understand it, maybe Dreadsox or one of you guys can help me out if I'm crossed up.

Alvar Hanso founded Dharma, he brought people to the island for experiments, he turned against it. And somehow was imprisoned or disappeared by the people running Dharma. Dharma then becomes linked to the Widmore Corp (Penelope's dad) and the group run by Sun's dad. So this is a definite camp unto itself.

They are seperate from Jacob and Ben and Richard Alpert (guy who never aged). This group consists of the islands original inhabitants, which were called 'Hostiles' by Dharma and later 'The Others' by the Losties.

So Ben's group is doing the work of Jacob to protect the island itself from Dharma and the Widmores (possible salvage crew that just found the island?) and such.

The Dharma/Widmore-possible salavge freighter group is trying to find the island itself to use it again for it's vices.

And the Losties are caught in the middle of the war? So to speak.

AS soon as the Ben/Jacob group knew that someone found the island (the plane crash) they put a dummy plane in a trench somewhere else with bodies in it (the Find 815 game). Remember the Richard Alpert group (remember the Juliet backstory) seems to weild quite a bit of power.

As soon as the Losties got transmissions working, the Dharmas are honing back in on "their" island. Or is it something completely different? I'd say judging by Ben's reactions, he knows exactly who it is. Dharma/Widmore.

And then a heavy dose of everything else poured right over the top. All the personal plotline, mysteries are woven into the basic overall arc of the story? That's the basic vanilla version of what I get. We get caught up in parsing details and some of them are huge details (location of the island) but I think the plot is forming.
The mysticisms, the power of the Island are an aside to the main story arc. They are a wonder unto themselves, the 6 numbers, the cloud of smoke, Lockes healing, they are part of the big X factor.

Whatever this X factor is, Valezennti equation? (the numbers) as a tell of the end of the world etc. Electromagnetism/time/space altering etc. all of that mystery is wrapped up in the island and not neccessarily attached to the "war" that's going on. WHich is the war to aquire those powers itself.

Then again, if you don't get on the net and read about the 'Lost Experience' which was the first online game which explained teh Dharma backstory etc. how the hell can you follow this shit? I'm sure they'll tie together some lines and my little half-assed synopsis might fall apart in 3 days but man, it seems like a lot to swallow in any event.

Needless to say. Great show. Totally addicted.

Jacob is the smoke monster/whoever controls it.

Just calling it now.

And I'm not sure who's directing these episodes so far this season, but I'm not crazy about it. Something very "off" about the style of these two episodes, which someone pointed out earlier in the thread after last week and I totally agree.

Lancemc said:
Jacob is the smoke monster/whoever controls it.

Just calling it now.

And I'm not sure who's directing these episodes so far this season, but I'm not crazy about it. Something very "off" about the style of these two episodes, which someone pointed out earlier in the thread after last week and I totally agree.

Jack Bender is the director, and has been for a while, if I'm not mistaken.

This Episode set a lot of shit up and went by too fast, but it was awesome.

--->SPOILERS<----

Obviously these people are connected to Dharma, know Ben is the one who helped kill everyone, and are coming to get some payback. Whatever happens between now and when the Oceanic 6 come back, Abbadon wants to know what the hell happened to his mission. I'm guessing 2 of those 4 that just arrived aren't going to live to that point. Maybe 1 or 2 decides to stay, who knows.

The possibilities are endless now, especially when one of the guys can see or communicate with ghosts.

Wow.

Well, if it's the same director as before, maybe these episodes were rushed into production because of the strike? They just aren't nearly as even or artful as the have been in the past. Or maybe the material at this point is bordering on the unwieldy. There really is a shit load of stuff going on at once right now.

The second half of Season 3 was the best the show's been. The Brig, Flashes Before Your Eyes, THe Man Behind The Curtain, Greatest Hits.... television doesn't get any better than that.

:huh: :|

they said things were going to be answered tonight...they didn't say there would be a 100 more questions

OH and i will NEVER watch that annoying Eli Stone show because of all the commercials for it during Lost!!! how to make someone not watch your show.....promo it to DEATH:mad:

Good episode, but I think they crammed a ton of stuff into one hour.

Then again, I sometimes complain about episodes that drag and don't bring out anything new to the story, so I guess I shouldn't complain. :wink:

Ok, so they just genuinely suck then. :D

Kidding, I've enjoyed them both...this one a lot less though.

I loved tonight's episode. I think it answered a lot of questions--just not the ones we were expecting.

Lancemc said:

That was me, yeah, and we're right; although it's also true that the director hasn't changed. I'd chalk it up to an editor, or possibly to a change to a less-talented second unit director, upon whom people would rely to get enough footage to flesh out an episode, stylistically. I don't know, though. I'm hardly motivated enough to find out. All I know is that Lost has gone from a semi-embarrassing TV-style to a horribly embarrassing one. Can't say why, but it's true (minus my judgments of said style, which doesn't have to be embarrassing to or for everyone, I guess...).

I think it's great this season, love it. I don't feel any great need for answers, like having the questions much better.

Hopefully the end to the strike will produce a full season, don't know if it's too late for that.

VintagePunk said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhh! More questions! Need. Answers. :crazy:

I agree Laz, it did go by very fast. Much more engrossing than last week, IMO.

yeah it did for two reasons.. ton o' stuff (ie more new questions on top of other questions on top of questions from the beginning that have not been answered) and secondly cuz, we only get 40 fucking minutes out of a 60 minute show. :mad: They have way too many commercial breaks! That is the one thing I truely despise about this show..:huh:

U2Fanatic4ever said:

yeah it did for two reasons.. ton o' stuff (ie more new questions on top of other questions on top of questions from the beginning that have not been answered) and secondly cuz, we only get 40 fucking minutes out of a 60 minute show. :mad: They have way too many commercial breaks! That is the one thing I truely despise about this show..:huh:

...and pretty much every other network television show in the history of the universe.

That's just how it is.

Lancemc said:

...and pretty much every other network television show in the history of the universe.

That's just how it is.

yeah i get that... But it does seem that ABC is slightly more with the number of commercial breaks compared to other networks.. My IMO, in the many years that I have watched tv..

U2Fanatic4ever said:

yeah i get that... But it does seem that ABC is slightly more with the number of commercial breaks compared to other networks.. My IMO, in the many years that I have watched tv..

They may have more breaks--but the length of those breaks isn't as long. If you look on the dvds, usually an episode is about 42 minutes. Same as 24 (Fox). Same as Heroes (NBC).

U2Fanatic4ever said:

ok maybe not but it sure seems that way.. It's just my IMO... btw..

I am not trying to state fact sorry if that is the way it came across. :shrug:

No sorry needed.....it's possible that they have more, but shorter breaks....but the overall commercial inventory is not going to be any more or less than other Network programming.

Because the show can often be so fast-paced, and has so many people and subplots to deal with, it always seems like the show is too short, whereas other shows can take the time to focus on just a few characters and take it easy.

I feel pretty disappointed. The only part I really liked was Ben revealing stuff at the end. The people who parachuted in seem like cousins of JJ Abrams and Damon Lindeloff, especially the guy on the other end of the phone -- kinda nervously nerdy, but hip and with strong Californian surfer accents or something. Kinda annoying and really fake in taking everything in stride. They don't feel real. The English woman was the best of the lot, and I'm glad she got the part instead of Kristin Bell.

It feels like such a cheat to just add characters like that and one with an ability like that guy. Why would the ghost give the guy his money? Wouldn't it be upset he's ripping off his mother? Ridiculous. Feels very derivative and a waste of time.

Also, the way characters needlessly hide the truth from one another seems needless. Locke could get rid of so much distrust if he just talked to his group and explained his reasoning. Same with Ben.

I initially thought the ending for Season 3 was fantastic and I quite enjoyed the Season 4 premiere, but, the more I think about it, the more I realize they're probably recreating the same dynamic they had for 3 years of hero-defining guilt driving the characters; it's a cliche that heroes feel guilt; it's psychologically unhealthy and often people choose to do bad things and feel guilty instead of doing the right thing.

The writers could have done something amazing, but it just feels so-so, especially this last episode. Better than the start of Season 3, but not the honed quality I wanted, just a lot of cliche theatrics.

Last edited:
I agree Muldfield, the Ghostbusters thing was kind of lame. But they've had ghosts, or whatever the hell they are, appearing since Season 1, and at least they're finally going to have someone on the island who may be able to scientifically answer some of those questions.

Muldfeld said:
I feel pretty disappointed. The only part I really liked was Ben revealing stuff at the end. The people who parachuted in seem like cousins of JJ Abrams and Damon Lindeloff, especially the guy on the other end of the phone -- kinda nervously nerdy, but hip and with strong Californian surfer accents or something. Kinda annoying and really fake in taking everything in stride. They don't feel real. The English woman was the best of the lot, and I'm glad she got the part instead of Kristin Bell.

It feels like such a cheat to just add characters like that and one with an ability like that guy. Why would the ghost give the guy his money? Wouldn't it be upset he's ripping off his mother? Ridiculous. Feels very derivative and a waste of time.

Also, the way characters needlessly hide the truth from one another seems needless. Locke could get rid of so much distrust if he just talked to his group and explained his reasoning. Same with Ben.

I initially thought the ending for Season 3 was fantastic and I quite enjoyed the Season 4 premiere, but, the more I think about it, the more I realize they're probably recreating the same dynamic they had for 3 years of hero-defining guilt driving the characters; it's a cliche that heroes feel guilt; it's psychologically unhealthy and often people choose to do bad things and feel guilty instead of doing the right thing.

The writers could have done something amazing, but it just feels so-so, especially this last episode. Better than the start of Season 3, but not the honed quality I wanted, just a lot of cliche theatrics.

Man, you are so one demensional... It's so funny. You try and go deep with all these fairly surface shows, but yet you can't figure anything out with shows like this...

Muldfeld said:

I thought the idea was:

He comes in and says "sorry to hear about your son/grandson? being murdered" then proceeds to go ghostbust. Implication being, the granny/mom might not/probably didn't have any idea the ghost is her son.

We know that he was gonna spook the ghost out of the house, because that's his gig. He's goes in there and the ghost says something to the effect of 'I'm trying to get my mother to come up here and find this money' so he says 'tell me where it is so you can go' (whatever he said, the transcripts aren't up yet), so he takes the money and he steals it, gives her a slight cut and calls it a refund. When he walked downstairs, he was in a hurry to get the fuck out, was he not? The ghost might not have thought he was gonna keep ?I only saw it once.

I think the point was to show that he was a psychic and a crook.
At the least, a dubious guy.

I dunno, I just read an episode review that had some 'quotes', although they may have been paraphrased as well, I could be pretty off base. Whatever it was, I was well sick of backstories by Season 4, now here comes more.

Give me flash forwards, you sunsabitches!!!!

I also agree that they need to sharpen the script to the point where obvious questions and statements don't just go casually unasked or unsaid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom