MERGED --> It's Snowing in Dayton + Midwest Winter Storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
It's snowing in Dayton

I live Dayton, OH, and it's snowing today. We're supposed to have up to 5 inches by dawn tomorrow. That's still a pansy-ass amount for some places *cough* Colorado *cough* Upstate New York *cough* all of Canada *cough* but it's the first snow over 1 inch we've had so far this Winter.

And I'm on campus. I have two classes on Tuesday/Thursdays. I had my morning one, and then during my break the news came that the campus was closing early and that there wouldn't be any evening classes.

I had a midterm exam in my 4:10 class today....double-edged sword of college snow days....in high school, a snow day means you get out of work, but in college, a snow day(even HALF a snow day) means you get to do more work in a smaller window of time when campus opens again.

Anyway, it's a mess outside. I'm waiting for my ride(like I'm going to live on campus when home is 15 minutes away). Lots of people are staying here on campus for the moment because they don't want to drive right now. And because it's also FUCKING FREEZING outside, we're talking subzero.

I'm actually sort of shocked right now. In Ohio, college campus RARELY ever even close campus for HALF a day unless there's a foot of snow on the ground...today, all three major campuses in the area - Wright State(me), University of Dayton, and Sinclair Community College, have cancelled everything for the evening.

I'll still be shocked if they actually close the campus for the whole day tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath.

It's snowing in Indiana as well. It's supposed to snow til the middle of the night...unfortunately that probably gives them enough time to plow the roads :grumpy:

I am the one with the worst winter prolly! Over the past week, it's been -20f, -23f, -26f, -28f and this morning was a record -30F. I didn't go to class this morn coz when I woke up at 6:30, I couldn't see for the heavy snow and blowing wind. When we get up in the morning, the water in our glasses has little ice chunks in it. We do have a heater but it only goes up to 65F. So yeah.... winter sucks.

elevated_u2_fan and Babydoll! :shocked: As bad as Upstate NY is, I'm glad it's not THAT bad over here.

It is! My icy pain, hahaha...Hopefully it clears up next week coz this is getting crazy.... Each day I hear of new accidents coz of the icy roads. :(

Zootlesque said:
Snow sucks except when you're inside and don't have to go out anywhere!

I beg to differ. Being inside is the worst place to be when it snows. Driving in it is one of my favorite things to do. :drool: :drool:

At work (a college) everyone is pissed b/c we're the only college that's been open. We have about two feet of snow on the ground after Lake Effect blizzards all weekend. Most of the elementary schools are closed because of the temperatures not being safe for kids walking to school or waiting for the bus. In the shade today, it was -25F. It's not snowing hard anymore, but Lake Effect snow is different than regular snow. It's a fine power, like crushed glass, and it doesn't melt or pack, so it's essentially like driving on sand. The roads are a complete mess and the highways keep getting shut down. It took me 1/2 hour to get to work which is 2 miles away, it wasn't snowing at the time, and there was no traffic. I've lived in these conditions my entire life and today was the first time I really did not feel safe driving. I spun out of control so many times, it was really embarrassing having to stop the car being perpendicular in the road. None of the side roads get plowed, and they've stopped plowing because it's really just packing it into ice on the road and not doing any good. Regular blizzard snow would not be a problem b/c it packs, you can plow it, and it responds to salting.

We're getting snow here (Columbus, OH) tonight too, although just a couple of days ago the forecast was for little more than a dusting. :mad: I was supposed to have to drive to Yellow Springs tomorrow, but I was able to switch with someone else so I don't have to go out. I doubt the shop (art's coop gallery) will have any customers anyway.

And this way my niece can visit her dad tonight and if she doesn't have school tomorrow (which looks likely) she can hang out with me when he goes to work. It's looking like a pizza day. :)

Liesje - I know exactly what you mean! The snow is as fine as powdered sugar, and it doesn't pack down. It's so crunchy, not soft or anything. It packs down into hard ice patches. Walking in that crap is even harder than driving! There were about 4 big accidents in town today, due to cars being perpendicular and other cars not stopping in time before they reached them. :(

Spring!!!! Where are you???? :sad:

The calm after this morning's storm:

A beautiful sunset:

Picture449.jpg

where do you live, babydoll?

out here it's not snowing. but that might be due to the 30C temp.
:hmm:

we dont even have things close when it's hot. even when people die in it. i feel a little ripped off. if i lived in america, i'd so hibernate. :drool: a big doona, hot soup, and reading in bed. screw getting up and outside in that!

Babydoll said:
It does! Summers sometimes go over 100 degrees F, and it's either extreme wind, extreme rain or extreme cold.

Sounds just like West Michigan. It's not unusual for us to have an ice storm or frost and then get near 80 degree weather the same week. This usually happens at the end of April. This past summer, it was 95-110 degrees for almost a month straight, and most houses do not have air conditioning units. The firemen come around and start opening up hydrants so the kids can stay cool. Sept. 23 was my wedding day and we had to wait to leave for our honeymoon because of tornadoes. All my friends came and stayed in our below-ground apartment. There's just no in between, nice sunny days that aren't blistering hot and humid. :tsk:

Angela Harlem said:

we dont even have things close when it's hot. even when people die in it. i feel a little ripped off.

I've never heard of anything here (Canada) closing because it's "too cold." Ever.

The only time our schools close is if you get 2 feet of snow dumped overnight, but that's about it.

Liesje said:

Sounds just like West Michigan. It's not unusual for us to have an ice storm or frost and then get near 80 degree weather the same week. This usually happens at the end of April. This past summer, it was 95-110 degrees for almost a month straight, and most houses do not have air conditioning units. The firemen come around and start opening up hydrants so the kids can stay cool. Sept. 23 was my wedding day and we had to wait to leave for our honeymoon because of tornadoes. All my friends came and stayed in our below-ground apartment. There's just no in between, nice sunny days that aren't blistering hot and humid. :tsk:

it's either you scald yourself or freeze yourself or be blown away!

I think the high school closed because they don't want the kids driving. Every car I've driven behind today (and my own) and been spinning out or getting stuck in the snow on the roads.

The public elementary schools here won't close for anything (including 3 feet of snow or frostbite temps) because most of the inner city kids get breakfast and lunch there (their two only meals), plus there is no alternative for child care if the schools were to close.

Phil was supposed to start teacher aiding today and his school was closed because of temperature. I'm not really sure what the rationale is. I guess they don't think it's safe for the little ones that walk for 1/2 hour to school. Either way, the highway by that school was shut down from accidents.

I've never been in school when it's closed for being too hot because we're not in school during our summer, but we've come very close and had times where we didn't do actual class work. We'd go to the basement floor of the building, get a popsicle, and watch some kind of educational video instead. None of my schools had air conditioning, so when it's 95 outside and there's no air circulation inside, no kid is really focusing anyway. In highschool, I was finished for the day before the real heat set in so it wasn't that bad.

Back
Top Bottom