MERGED --> It's Snowing in Dayton + Midwest Winter Storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Girl416 said:
my sister who works in the DC area (Georgetown) said her husband's office closed at 2 today and even the federal offices are closed and they only have a dusting of snow! weenies.

It was more the sleet/ice than the snow.

I cannot wait for the snow to start falling. 2-3 feet of powder will make for some epic skiing. I love 3 hour drives in blizzard conditions. :drool: :drool:

U2Girl416 said:

well from what she's said in the past (she's lived in both MD and VA), that areas down there aren't used to bad winter weather and freak out and not sure how to deal with driving in it...etc. . no offense intended to those living in those areas, of course!

The schools probably freak out easily, but the fed. government doesn't close often unless it's serious. It's also not quite as flat as the midwest.

Snow has hit Philly today, more than our absolutely idiotic meteorologists predicted.

U2Girl416 said:

well from what she's said in the past (she's lived in both MD and VA), that areas down there aren't used to bad winter weather and freak out and not sure how to deal with driving in it...etc. . no offense intended to those living in those areas, of course!

bwaha. living in VA now, I have to concur. Our uni (where I work) was cancelled today and will be closed tomorrow too due to the freezing rain/sleet. I lived in MN for five years, so I'm looking at the two inches of white stuff and thinking that this is pretty normal, but hey...I'm salaried. If they want to give me two days off, I'm not complaining! :yes:

:grumpy:

We were the ONLY college/school/anything in the area not to cancel during our storm last week. It really pissed me off because it was so insanely bad and many of our staff and faculty come in from neighboring cities. It took me 45 mins to go 2 miles to work. I've lived here for 22 years and it was the worst road conditions I've ever seen. The volume of snow wasn't the problem at all, but the ice on the road and the 45mph wind causing whiteout all day and drifting into the roads. Many people have died in accidents these past two weeks, including a family acquaintance and a freshman student. There comes a point where it's just not worth it, especially when half your staff/faculty show up several hours late or don't make it at all.

Yeah, I hear you, Lies. I personally live only five miles from school, but we have commuters and professors from all over the place. Some of them have at least an hour to two hours on a normal day with good weather, not to mention the fact that a lot of people from down here don't know how to drive in snow. In the end, imo, nothing is worth risking your life on an icy road. :(

17 inches of snow on the ground and still coming down, blowing, drifting here. Some idiot at the university decided that it would be "business as usual" today, so I opted to take a day of vacation instead of trying to get there and possibly not being able to get home. About noon, the powers that be declared a snow recess, which means that classes were cancelled and employees sent home. The recess is to last until noon on Wednesday, so maybe, just maybe, we'll find someone to clear out the driveway. Haven't heard a snow plow yet, though. May have to burn another day of vacation tomorrow. :huh:

:help: I'm trapped in my house. We have 12 inches of snow on the ground mixed with freezing rain. My snow removal guys can't plow my diveway out out until Thursday at the least. I hate this weather. Chill factors tonight are to get down to 20 below. :scream:

I forgot how much it sucks to dig my car out of two feet of snow and move it to the other side of the street (as required by a city ordinance). Hopefully feeling will return to my legs soon :crack:

I'm digging out now. We didn't get huge amounts of snow, but got snow/freezing rain/snow so it's kind of a pain to shovel. At least there isn't much ice underneath that snow (on the walk anyway), which is good since it's not just me who has to get out (tomorrow morning) but my aunt (who has down syndrome) also. She has to walk down the steps (about 6) from the deck and then I have her sit in a wheelchair to get to the car. So I have to make a wheelchair wide path through all this crap, and then make sure I can get my car out of the driveway. My neighbours are having quite a time moving their vehicles, so it looks as if it's gonna be fun. Bleh. :mad:

we managed fine last night although there was a lot of snow drifting and wind, I want to say we got around 3-4 inches, some areas 8+. even the commute home wasn't bad last night until I got to my apartment building and was stuck trying to get in the driveway. the back end of my car was hanging out on a very very congested street :yikes: my fiance also was stuck about 5 minutes before I arrived, in the other driveway entrance/exit and he ran with his mini car shovel and tried to unbury me. definitely a moment of panic...at least for my car's sake.

my sis's latest report from Indy this morning was that she had at least thigh-high amounts of snow. eek.

sulawesigirl4 said:

bwaha. living in VA now, I have to concur. Our uni (where I work) was cancelled today and will be closed tomorrow too due to the freezing rain/sleet. I lived in MN for five years, so I'm looking at the two inches of white stuff and thinking that this is pretty normal, but hey...I'm salaried. If they want to give me two days off, I'm not complaining! :yes:

I guess I'm just used to the constant bombardment (not sure if I spelled that right) of snow from all my Syracuse winters, so when I read something about just some sleet and such, I almost laugh. but then again, that's just what I'm used to :shrug:

2 days off, wanna switch places? :wink:

Schmeg said:
Snow to freezing rain to snow to freezing rain here on the northside of Indy.

:wave: east side here. it's been mostly clear today, no?

IPS cancelled school again... this never happens :drool:

Lies that really sucks :( my school system is usually like that but for once it wasn't!

tiny dancer said:
:help: I'm trapped in my house. We have 12 inches of snow on the ground mixed with freezing rain. My snow removal guys can't plow my diveway out out until Thursday at the least. I hate this weather. Chill factors tonight are to get down to 20 below. :scream:

Do you get your driveways plowed by the city?!? :drool:

Liesje said:

Do you get your driveways plowed by the city?!? :drool:

How cool would that be? We spend half the day shoveling ours out, only to get up in the morning and find that the snow plows have pushed another 3-foot high, 5-foot wide mountain of snow across the mouth of the driveway. :mad:

U2Girl416 said:
I guess I'm just used to the constant bombardment (not sure if I spelled that right) of snow from all my Syracuse winters, so when I read something about just some sleet and such, I almost laugh. but then again, that's just what I'm used to :shrug:

Yeah, that's sort of how I felt the first time they cancelled school for snow. We had like two inches and it had stopped snowing. I can't remember a single instance in all my years at uni in MN that they even considered cancelling school for snow. And we had a lot of it. lol. That said, I got in my car thinking that it would be a piece of cake, only to find that the mechanic had been right when he told me my tires were bald. :lol: I sat there and spun my wheels and went absolutely nowhere. Thank goodness for roommates.

2 days off, wanna switch places? :wink:

2 and 1/2 days even! Errm, no thanks! I had fun with my weekend in the middle of the week. And it's already Friday! woohoo! :D

MsPurrl said:

How cool would that be? We spend half the day shoveling ours out, only to get up in the morning and find that the snow plows have pushed another 3-foot high, 5-foot wide mountain of snow across the mouth of the driveway. :mad:

Don't you love it when that happens? Actually, the street I grew up on never gets plowed by the city, there's just too many streets here, but my dad used to plow and his friends would come and do it for us if they had time. But yeah, it always happens that you spend hours shoveling yourself out and chopping the ice (a chore we had to do with this giant, insanely heavy ice breaker made of iron), and then the plow comes by.

Around here, you want something plowed you just have to shovel it yourself. At my college house I had to shovel a double-wide driveway, plus the sidewalks and paths (required by law), and also the street in front b/c our friends would park there. It took hours but it was great exercise.

Liesje said:

Don't you love it when that happens? Actually, the street I grew up on never gets plowed by the city, there's just too many streets here, but my dad used to plow and his friends would come and do it for us if they had time. But yeah, it always happens that you spend hours shoveling yourself out and chopping the ice (a chore we had to do with this giant, insanely heavy ice breaker made of iron), and then the plow comes by.

Around here, you want something plowed you just have to shovel it yourself. At my college house I had to shovel a double-wide driveway, plus the sidewalks and paths (required by law), and also the street in front b/c our friends would park there. It took hours but it was great exercise.

Our weather forecast:

WeatherForecast.jpg

^ That's hilarious! :lol:

Seriously I am SO SICK of the cold, the dark, the gloomyness. It's sooo dark and grey and cloudy and depressing. You step outside, your face freezes. I have to wear layers and layers just to take the trash out. Here in MN its been below 0F for almost a month now. It was -17F yesterday, and it's -7f today.

:rant:

I feel for you, Babydoll, especially considering where you come from!
MwarabuFishingBoats.jpg

MN is one of the few places I would NOT move to from here (west Michigan).

Yesterday was weird. It was a typical day (sub-zero windchills, low clouds, gray) and then all the sudden there was a total whiteout of snow, zero visaibility. Then 15 minutes later there was blue sky and SUN! But that lasted about five minutes. Just one quick dusting (another inch for us).

Last edited:
I'm going back home again for the summer in June, I'm sure I'll melt! It will be the winter season there, (southern hemisphere) and winters are like in the 60s and early 70s. I'll be boiling, I'm sure.

:hug: Thanks Liesje :)

Back
Top Bottom