MERGED --> Is anyone else sick of Coldplay?? + Shut the F*CK Up About Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i dont like marinara sauce:huh: ...but pesto or alfredo is alright with me!
linguini w/ shrimp, brocolli and mushroom:drool:...
or thin crust pizza w/ pesto sauce...sun dried tomatoes, feta cheese, and mozarella cheese

:drool::drool:

Coldplay are good at what they do. Problem is, they don't do enough(musically anyway). I don't hear any edge or balls in any of their music. Don't get me wrong, CP is ok, they just....they're not very exciting. It's relatively easy-listening pop music. But it's not rock. Not even close.

namkcuR said:
It's relatively easy-listening pop music. But it's not rock. Not even close.

I guess that depends on the definition of what rock is. Sure, on the albums Coldplay sounds pretty soft and I admit that. This is partly due to something U2 have given up on: atmosphere. The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree certianly don't sound very rocking either; thats because U2 once believed in putting atmosphere in songs.

I think hearing Coldplay live really turns their atmospheric sound into more rocking songs. Sure, they don't have a ton and there are the ballads like Trouble or The Scientist, but they've only had 3 albums now. All I know is that Yellow, Shiver, Politik, God Put A Smile..., Moses, One I Love, Clocks all really rock live, and from the new album Square One, Talk, White Shadows and Low will all really rock. Also, a lot of their songs build and build till the end--look at Amsterdam from the Coldplay Live 2003 DVD. On the new album, Swallowed By The Sea and A Message really start rocking by the end too.

Hell, Until The End of the World, Bullet The Blue Sky and many other U2 songs don't sound that rocking either until they're played live.

I just got the new white stripes, coldplay, kings of leon, oasis, and the new doves. I wish that people wrote about the doves & kings of leon with the same fervor as they did coldplay. The coldplay album struck me very much as them aping U2 at almost every turn. Even the bonus "spontaneous" song, Til Kingdom Come reeks of someone trying hard to be throwaway, it's so "Lucille" or "Room at the Heartbreak Hotel". I'd shrug it off as coincidence but then I read that Chris Martin is reading Into the Heart. So that immediately tells me how much of a fan he is. Which is always great, because there's is no artist out there today not emulating/stealing from other artists. I like Coldplay, I like Chris Martin, the new album is definitely a 7/10. And that's not definite because tracks I had written off are creeping into my head (I'll be walking to class and then just hear "You and I are drifting into outer space").

Anyways my god the new Doves is soo good. Walk in Fire and the Storm. Awesome. I think X&Y is their Unforgettable Fire-attempt. A Rush of Blood was their War. U2 is providing a "How to" playbook for every other band. Anyone else see that?

Xavier

ImOuttaControl said:

I guess that depends on the definition of what rock is. Sure, on the albums Coldplay sounds pretty soft and I admit that. This is partly due to something U2 have given up on: atmosphere. The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree certianly don't sound very rocking either; thats because U2 once believed in putting atmosphere in songs.

I think hearing Coldplay live really turns their atmospheric sound into more rocking songs. Sure, they don't have a ton and there are the ballads like Trouble or The Scientist, but they've only had 3 albums now. All I know is that Yellow, Shiver, Politik, God Put A Smile..., Moses, One I Love, Clocks all really rock live, and from the new album Square One, Talk, White Shadows and Low will all really rock. Also, a lot of their songs build and build till the end--look at Amsterdam from the Coldplay Live 2003 DVD. On the new album, Swallowed By The Sea and A Message really start rocking by the end too.

Hell, Until The End of the World, Bullet The Blue Sky and many other U2 songs don't sound that rocking either until they're played live.

U2 haven't forgotten atmosphere, spare me that. That's all Passengers was. Pop had a good bit of it as well. One Step Closer is pure atmosphere - thought not nearly as well-executed as U2 have done in the past. But getting back to the point...

you speak of TUF and JT...

Wire, Bad, and everything on JT except for RTSS and MOTD are FAR more 'rock' than anything Coldplay have ever produced. And Until The End Of The World and Bullet The Blue Sky are straight rock songs. They sound very 'rock' on record and even more so live.

Remember that Clayton quote(I'm sure others have said it too): Rock'n'Roll isn't something you can buy in a record shop - it's an attitude.

An attitude CP doesn't have. I don't hear any spunk, edge, balls, restlessness, in their music. I don't hear 'rock'.

And I am NOT one of these U2 fans that gets all insecure whenever CP comes up. I think that's silly. I'm just a fan of rock music who thinks calling CP rock is, frankly, ridiculous.

P.S.U2 haven't 'given up' on atmosphere. That's all Passengers was. Pop has a good deal of it too. And One Step Closer? While not nearly as well executed as U2 have done in the past, this song is pure atmosphere.

namkcuR said:

U2 haven't forgotten atmosphere, spare me that. That's all Passengers was. Pop had a good bit of it as well. One Step Closer is pure atmosphere - thought not nearly as well-executed as U2 have done in the past. But getting back to the point...

you speak of TUF and JT...

Wire, Bad, and everything on JT except for RTSS and MOTD are FAR more 'rock' than anything Coldplay have ever produced. And Until The End Of The World and Bullet The Blue Sky are straight rock songs. They sound very 'rock' on record and even more so live.

Remember that Clayton quote(I'm sure others have said it too): Rock'n'Roll isn't something you can buy in a record shop - it's an attitude.

An attitude CP doesn't have. I don't hear any spunk, edge, balls, restlessness, in their music. I don't hear 'rock'.

And I am NOT one of these U2 fans that gets all insecure whenever CP comes up. I think that's silly. I'm just a fan of rock music who thinks calling CP rock is, frankly, ridiculous.

P.S.U2 haven't 'given up' on atmosphere. That's all Passengers was. Pop has a good deal of it too. And One Step Closer? While not nearly as well executed as U2 have done in the past, this song is pure atmosphere.

Coldplay produces albums that have an atmosphere throught the whole album, much like u2 did with TUF and TJT. 1 song on HTDAAB doesn't really constitue creating much atmosphere, IMO. Pop and Passengers are pushing 10 years ago now. ATYCLB did have atmosphere, but HTDAAB is pretty lacking in that department.

It's dumb for anyone to say that Coldplay is a strait up rock band--it's obvious they've never created anything like U2 did with Boy, October or War, but I don't see how anyone can say with a strait face that WOWY, ISFWILF, Red Hill Mining Town, Trip Through Your Wires and One Tree Hill rock harder than anything coldplay has ever done. That's ridiculous IMO. Bono screaming doesn't constitue a rock song in my opinion.

Bullet and UTEOTW(which is my 2nd fav U2 song) are rocking on the album? I couldn't disagree more. Live is a different story, but when I can easily fall asleep to either of those songs(and I do), I don't consider those real rocking on the album. But live, they're killers.

Coldplay and U2 are very different bands. U2 has a 20 year head start and came from a punk background. Coldplay came from a Radiohead style background. U2 formed in 1976, Coldplay formed in about 1996. Why people even expect Coldplay to have the level of back catalogue and live performance that U2 has is insane. If it took U2 11 years from their formation to be superstars, why does anybody hold coldplay to the same level when it is only 9 years after their formation?

BTW, I'm argueing that Coldplay sounds a lot more rocking live and creates more atmospheric albums. Have you heard/seen them live? I'm curious. Yes, they do have quite a few slower songs, but the ones I mentioned in my previous post really rock live.

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:

Coldplay produces albums that have an atmosphere throught the whole album, much like u2 did with TUF and TJT. 1 song on HTDAAB doesn't really constitue creating much atmosphere, IMO. Pop and Passengers are pushing 10 years ago now. ATYCLB did have atmosphere, but HTDAAB is pretty lacking in that department.

The past 2 albums have been lacking in that department because U2 have just created albums that are full of singles, full of songs that could easily be released as singles. They are not proper albums like they used to record as I have said on countless occasions in the past. There last album that had an atmosphere was Pop, obviously a different kind of atmosphere to the Unforgettable Fire or The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. Coldplays latest album is the best album I have heard for the past 4 or 5 years, full of atmosphere and great sounds.

ImOuttaControl said:

It's dumb for anyone to say that Coldplay is a strait up rock band--it's obvious they've never created anything like U2 did with Boy, October or War, but I don't see how anyone can say with a strait face that WOWY, ISFWILF, Red Hill Mining Town, Trip Through Your Wires and One Tree Hill rock harder than anything coldplay has ever done. That's ridiculous IMO. Bono screaming doesn't constitue a rock song in my opinion.

Bullet and UTEOTW(which is my 2nd fav U2 song) are rocking on the album? I couldn't disagree more. Live is a different story, but when I can easily fall asleep to either of those songs(and I do), I don't consider those real rocking on the album. But live, they're killers.

Coldplay and U2 are very different bands. U2 has a 20 year head start and came from a punk background. Coldplay came from a Radiohead style background. U2 formed in 1976, Coldplay formed in about 1996. Why people even expect Coldplay to have the level of back catalogue and live performance that U2 has is insane. If it took U2 11 years from their formation to be superstars, why does anybody hold coldplay to the same level when it is only 9 years after their formation?

BTW, I'm argueing that Coldplay sounds a lot more rocking live and creates more atmospheric albums. Have you heard/seen them live? I'm curious. Yes, they do have quite a few slower songs, but the ones I mentioned in my previous post really rock live.

One: I disagree with your thoughts about Bullet and UTEOTW...I could never fall asleep to them(especially UTEOTW), they excite me far too much, regardless of whether it's studio or live - so much passion, raw energy, rock energy.

Two: I'm not saying that Still Haven't Found, Red Hill, Trip Through, or One Tree Hill are all-out rockers or anything, I'm just saying that they don't sound like ballads either, whereas pretty all of Coldplay's songs, with a handful of exceptions(Politik, Shivers, Daylight, A Whisper, One I Love), sound like ballads to me. WOWY is a ballad so I'll rephrase what I said as 'every song on JT except for WOWY, RTSS, and MOTD is more rocking than anything CP have ever put out'.

Three: How long you've been a band and how big your back catalog is has no bearing on whether you can make 'rock' music or not. Note I'm not taking quality into account here. A twenty-year-old band can be totally inept at making rock music and a five-year-old band can be totally amazing at it. And vice versa. Your arguement about U2's back catalog is invalid. The fact remains that Coldplay aren't a rock band and that is THE major reason they shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as U2. Coldplay hasn't even tried(very often anyway) to make rock music. They are content to make keyboard-heavy easy-listening pop music.

And don't get me wrong, they are VERY good at doing that, and I DO enjoy their music. It's just ridiculous to say they're even making the same kind of music U2 do, is all.

And to answer your other question, no I haven't seen CP live. Not for real anyway. I have the Live 2003 album and I've seen them live on TV a lot. But I suppose that doesn't count.

Last edited:
Geez, it's all so good.
U2 likes the Killers, Franz Ferd, and countless others and go to their concerts.
Green Day (Billie Joe Armstrong) simply worships U2, but they have their own sound and work off/with the expeirence of U2.

as with Coldplay, they want to pick up the mantel and go forward with their music and works.

so what's wrong with this?

It just means more good music....
Enjoy it.
"Rock" in any form was lost for a while there. At least I can, now stand to watch VH1 and MTV (with the mute button close at hand)
There is good music out there just f***ing enjoy it or don't.... and leave all the other bullshit behind.

And just for the record, Vertigo, ABOY and Sometimes were played as much as Coldplay when they initially came out. It's just that Martin and company are younger and the channels are playing them more and I think they (music networks) like all this "biggest band in the world hype".

They would like nothing more than to make all this into another reality series because it it is U2 and Coldplay!!
God forbid...:yikes:
I could care less who's the biggest band (even though I know who that is :wink:) all I want to hear is music instead of this other crap out there.
I mean I have to listen to the radio at some point and I want to hear "something else" besides rap and American Idol?
If it's Coldplay then so be it, it's not that hard to listen too.
End of :rant:

i don't like coldplay at all. they are boring FluffyBunnies, playing boring music. they are without any important relevance. they don't play rock music. they are poor poppy pooby plobby poppers.

EdgeVox said:

Anyways my god the new Doves is soo good. Walk in Fire and the Storm. Awesome. I think X&Y is their Unforgettable Fire-attempt. A Rush of Blood was their War. U2 is providing a "How to" playbook for every other band. Anyone else see that?

Xavier

:drool: Doves...now there's a band, U2-ish but not overly so, there's a lot of influences flying around there.... my personal favourites are Snowden and One of These Days. Maybe I should go start a Doves thread...

sue4u2 said:
Geez, it's all so good.
U2 likes the Killers, Franz Ferd, and countless others and go to their concerts.
Green Day (Billie Joe Armstrong) simply worships U2, but they have their own sound and work off/with the expeirence of U2.

as with Coldplay, they want to pick up the mantel and go forward with their music and works.

so what's wrong with this?

It just means more good music....
Enjoy it.
"Rock" in any form was lost for a while there. At least I can, now stand to watch VH1 and MTV (with the mute button close at hand)
There is good music out there just f***ing enjoy it or don't.... and leave all the other bullshit behind.

And just for the record, Vertigo, ABOY and Sometimes were played as much as Coldplay when they initially came out. It's just that Martin and company are younger and the channels are playing them more and I think they (music networks) like all this "biggest band in the world hype".

They would like nothing more than to make all this into another reality series because it it is U2 and Coldplay!!
God forbid...:yikes:
I could care less who's the biggest band (even though I know who that is :wink:) all I want to hear is music instead of this other crap out there.
I mean I have to listen to the radio at some point and I want to hear "something else" besides rap and American Idol?
If it's Coldplay then so be it, it's not that hard to listen too.
End of :rant:

Well said :up:

btw, is "A Message" just a great song or what? i absolutely love the new album. it's their best one so far!

Coldplay's albums keep getting worse as they go. Off the new album, Talk, White Shadows, and the actually song "X&Y" (not the album) are the only ones I can listen to repeatedly. I loved a few songs off of Parachutes like Shiver, Don't Panic, and Trouble. Only Clocks off of AROBTTH was close to any of those, I find the new album rushed and incomplete.

BTW, if Coldplay ever had a song as rockin' as Vertigo, Until the End of the World, The Fly, or Bullet the Blue Sky, I would personally buy a ticket, fly to Europe, track down Chris Martin, and congradulate him on being the SECOND best band in the world. Not as if that will ever happen.

IrishDawg said:
I find the new album rushed and incomplete.

:scratch: If anything, Coldplay should try rushing out an album instead of agonizing over it for years and overproducing it.

ImOuttaControl said:

After listening to X & Y this past weekend, I'd have to say its their most rockin effort. Not Motorhead or AC/DC rock but pretty rockin for Coldplay.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

One: I disagree with your thoughts about Bullet and UTEOTW...I could never fall asleep to them(especially UTEOTW), they excite me far too much, regardless of whether it's studio or live - so much passion, raw energy, rock energy.

Two: I'm not saying that Still Haven't Found, Red Hill, Trip Through, or One Tree Hill are all-out rockers or anything, I'm just saying that they don't sound like ballads either, whereas pretty all of Coldplay's songs, with a handful of exceptions(Politik, Shivers, Daylight, A Whisper, One I Love), sound like ballads to me. WOWY is a ballad so I'll rephrase what I said as 'every song on JT except for WOWY, RTSS, and MOTD is more rocking than anything CP have ever put out'.

Three: How long you've been a band and how big your back catalog is has no bearing on whether you can make 'rock' music or not. Note I'm not taking quality into account here. A twenty-year-old band can be totally inept at making rock music and a five-year-old band can be totally amazing at it. And vice versa. Your arguement about U2's back catalog is invalid. The fact remains that Coldplay aren't a rock band and that is THE major reason they shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as U2. Coldplay hasn't even tried(very often anyway) to make rock music. They are content to make keyboard-heavy easy-listening pop music.

And don't get me wrong, they are VERY good at doing that, and I DO enjoy their music. It's just ridiculous to say they're even making the same kind of music U2 do, is all.

And to answer your other question, no I haven't seen CP live. Not for real anyway. I have the Live 2003 album and I've seen them live on TV a lot. But I suppose that doesn't count.

I don't think you've really listened to the new Coldplay album and know a lot of their songs if you consider U2 to be a lot more rockin then Coldplay, proportionally speaking (in the sense of pace, loudness/ distortion use, beats, etc.) Especially in reference to the Joshua Tree era. If you're talking about traditional rock in the Chuck Berry style, then YEs, U2 does rock more in that sense.

I do agree that Until the End and Bullet are some of U2's most rockin moments. IMO... Joshua Tree isn't more rockin then X&Y if we're talkin about the harder faster sound type of rock. I'd say they are about the same IMO.

Rock has such huge arms that IMO anything can fall into the category. Coldplay is one group that does.

ATYLCB had plenty of atmosphere IMO but I guess it depends on what you view as atmosphere.

Last edited:
I love that this thread (well...threads) has become a big discussion about Coldplay. :)

Back
Top Bottom