MERGED->Go Pre-order The New Oasis Album Now!It's REALLY GOOD!+Calling all OASIS fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Harry Vest said:
Oasis is just a band I've never "gotten". Never did anything for me...absolutely nothing. Maybe I've never given them enough of a chance. Maybe I was turned off the snotty British attitudes of the two brothers - you know, stuff like "We're better than the Beatles" - that crap. Let me tell you this...they couldn't hold a candle to the Beatles. For one The Beatles had so many different styles not just one. I don't know, I don't want to come down on something I have little knowledge of but I JUST DON'T GET IT?????

The Gallaghers were on 14 kinds of chemicals when they made those statements. :wink:

I love bands who have some arrogance about themselves. After why else would you think they were bloody fantastic if the band themselves didn't think so too!

Anyway, nothing a bit of "sarcasm detector" wouldn't help.

blueeyedgirl said:

The Gallaghers were on 14 kinds of chemicals when they made those statements. :wink:

I love bands who have some arrogance about themselves. After why else would you think they were bloody fantastic if the band themselves didn't think so too!

Anyway, nothing a bit of "sarcasm detector" wouldn't help.

"C'mon Baby Blue/ shake yer eyes up/ the world is waitin for ya." - Actual lyrics (or somethin close to it) from the last song off the new Oasis album.

Had another listen to the new Oasis album. U2 fans are gonna love the new Oasis album; heck, anybody with any good musical taste is gonna dig the new Oasis album.

dn9909 said:

"C'mon Baby Blue/ shake yer eyes up/ the world is waitin for ya." - Actual lyrics (or somethin close to it) from the last song off the new Oasis album.

Had another listen to the new Oasis album. U2 fans are gonna love the new Oasis album; heck, anybody with any good musical taste is gonna dig the new Oasis album.

where are you hearing this new album? i want in!:ohmy:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Go Pre-order The New Oasis Album Now! It's REALLY GOOD!

dn9909 said:

I have a hunch that you're a massive Oasis fan.

As I posted earlier, I wish I can fulfill your unlimited curiosity but I've listened to the album on only two different occasions. As I can remember, there are some "acoustic-based" songs that are standout tracks; these "acoustic-based" songs are much more intricate and more layered than say a Songbird (a dear favorite of mine) off the last album.

In more reflecting, the songs are very varied as mentioned before; the only songs that is remotely like the rock 'n roll songs of Oasis' past are Lyla and the other song with "dream" in the chorus.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there's the song "Stop The Clocks" ; of what I've heard at least.

The last song I heard was quite good, couldn't remember the title of it though.

I couldn't say it better myself.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Go Pre-order The New Oasis Album Now! It's REALLY GOOD!

That music of the song "Lyla" during verses is pretty much AC/DC at Bon Scott era :eyebrow:

btw, I'm not a Laylo, Lola, or Lyla,

but I'm a Lila. :wave:

And no, not a stripper!! :huh:

Oh, and I'm on the Oasis site, listening to 'Slide Away' (after Lyla). I haven't heard them in years. (What's The Story) Morning Glory? Is a great album! :rockon:

The Kings of British rok 'n rol have come back to reclaim their throne as evident in Don't Believe The Truth.

Blind Faith
Latin Percussion? Village Green psychedelia? The Velvets? What's going on? Pat Gilbert on that 'difficult' sixth album.

Oasis

Don't Believe The Truth ****

In the good old days, most musicians had crashed by their mid-thirties and formed a super-group with pop-star mates. This is exactly what Noel & Liam have done , only by stealth. These days, not only do they feature Gem & Andy Bell, but also genetically as near as dammit a Beatle. To those who saw Oasis at Glastonbury 2004, Zak Starkey's recruitment looked a little ill-advised. The drummer - last seen powering The Who - did little to ease the leaden thump that has long mired the group's Big Rock Number live and on record.

Yet something astonishing has happened: Zak's arrival has coincided with Oasis's reinvention as an olde English psychedelic combo, all acoustic guitars, Mellotron, tambourine, jugband stomps, wonky Ringo drums, piano, harmonica and layers of needling electric six-string. OK, some of DBTT seems like business as usual, but much suggests that Oasis have finally discovered what they do best - a kind of scratchy mix of Kinks and Small Faces pop, with a dash of T.Rex and Rubber Soul. To start with, the not-so-good. The weaker songs here are the rockers including opener TUTS and, in parts, new single Lyla. It's not just the songs themselves (accomplished but fairly predictable), but Liam's voice. Thrown into relief by his more subtle performances elsewhere, it grates with that over-familiar "soonshiiine" drawl you've heard a million times. He's more classy and complex on self-penned songs, particularly the frantic, percussion-heavy TMOS and the best song The La's never wrote, LLAB, with it's waltzing acoustic riff, odd chord shifts and undulating harmonies. On LTBL, the momentous, rousing closer sung by both Gallaghers, Liam hasn't sounded so genuinely moved by one of Noel's lyrics since Live Forever & Stand By Me.

The democratic writing policy and beat-combo feel underlines the sense of a real group, far more so than '02's HC. Gem & Noel deserve special praise - Gem for the understated, layered, squirly Taxman guitar that lends much of this record it's atmospheric, Albion-psych feel, and Noel for conjuring some mature, unexpected jewels, namelt the Velvets-inspired MF (he's finally mastered the half-rhyme: "You get your God from a paper bag, and your history from the UJ"), POTQ (percussion by Cuban legend Lenny Castro) and TIOBI, a kind of Kinksy rag, in which Noel's warm falsetto grows a lovely, tawny edge. Magical.

Hardy nay-sayers won't be converted but, in tuning in and turning down, Oasis have produced their best in almost a decade.

i think that this new record is their best, and most complete album since Definitely Maybe. What's the Story Morning Glory had some classic tunes on it, but Don't Believe The Truth is more complete as a whole...

So is Zak Starkey a full fledged member of the band. Didn't know White left/ got kicked from the band. That is definitely an interesting coup and the drumming is noticeably different (I'm no drummer though so it could all be in mind). IMO the album as a whole is strongest release by the band since Defintely Maybe and I've liked every album they've released. Singles in the vein of Morning Glory or Defintely Maybe... mebbe but probably not.

Review from allmusic.com to raise people's expectations:

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Since Oasis has an instantly identifiable, seemingly simple signature sound — gigantic, lumbering, melodic, and inevitable, as if their songs have always existed and always will — it can be hard to pinpoint what separates a great Oasis song from a merely mediocre tune. It could be anything from overblown production to a diminished swagger, or it could be a self-satisfied laziness in the songwriting, or a panicky attempt to update their defiantly classicist pop with an electronic shine. All of these problems plagued the group's records since their blockbuster 1995 blockbuster second album, (What's the Story) Morning Glory?, and while none of the three albums that followed were outright bad, by 2002's Heathen Chemistry it seemed that even Noel and Liam Gallagher had lost sight of what made Oasis great. While that record had its moments, it often seemed generic, suggesting that the group had painted itself into a corner, not knowing where to go next. Surely, all the reports from the recording of their long-gestating sixth album suggested a faint air of desperation. First, the electronica duo Death in Vegas was brought in as producers, bringing to mind the band's awkward attempts at electronica fusion on Be Here Now and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants, but those recordings were scrapped, and then their second drummer, Alan White, left only to be replaced by Zak Starkey, the son of Ringo Starr, suggesting that the Gallaghers were coming perilously close to being swallowed by their perennial Beatles fixation.

All of which makes the resulting album, Don't Believe the Truth, a real shock. It's confident, muscular, uncluttered, tight, and tuneful in a way Oasis haven't been since Morning Glory. It doesn't feel labored nor does it sound as if they're deliberately trying to recreate past glories. Instead, it sounds like they've remembered what they love about rock & roll and why they make music. They sound reinvigorated, which is perhaps appropriate, because Don't Believe the Truth finds Oasis to be quite a different band than it was a decade ago.

Surely, Noel is still the first among equals, writing the majority of the songs here and providing the musical direction that the rest follow, but his brother Liam, bassist Andy Bell, and guitarist Gem Archer are now full and equal partners, and the band is the better for it. Where Noel struggled to fill the post-Morning Glory albums with passable album tracks (having squandered his backlog of great songs on B-sides), he's now happy to have Bell and Archer write Noel soundalikes that are sturdier than the filler he's created over the last five years. These likeable tunes are given soul and fire by Liam, who not only reclaims his crown as the best singer in rock on this album, but comes into his own as a songwriter. He had written good songs before, but here he holds his own with his brother, writing lively, hooky, memorable songs with "Love Like a Bomb," "The Meaning of Soul," and "Guess God Thinks I'm Abel," which are as good as anything Noel has written for the album. Which is not an aspersion on Noel, who has a set of five songs that cut for cut are his strongest and liveliest in years. Whether it's the insistent stomp of "Mucky Fingers" or the Kinks-styled romp of "The Importance of Being Idle," these songs are so good it makes sense that Noel has kept them for himself, singing four of the five tunes himself (including the soaring closing duet "Let There Be Love," the brothers' best joint vocal since "Acquiesce").

But the key to this new incarnation of Oasis is that this move by Noel doesn't seem like he's hoarding his best numbers, or a way to instigate sibling rivalry with Liam. Instead, it emphasizes that Oasis is now a genuine band, a group of personalities that form together to form one gang of charming rogues. Apart from the tremendous, rambling "Lyla" that channels the spirit of the Faces and the occasional ramshackle echo of Beggars Banquet, there's not much musically different here than other Oasis albums — it's still a blend of British Invasion, the Jam, and the Smiths, all turned to 11 — but their stubborn fondness of classic British guitar pop is one of the things that makes Oasis great and lovable. And, of course, it's also what makes it hard to discern exactly what separates good from great Oasis, but all the little details here, from the consistent songwriting to the loose, comfortable arrangements and the return of their trademark bravado makes Don't Believe the Truth the closest Oasis has been to great since the summer of Britpop, when they were the biggest and best band in the world.

Calling all OASIS fans!!

I bought the new album yesterday, I think it's great. It's better than heathen chemistry and SOTSOG. It's more beatlesque, but than the last period from the beatles.

Mucky fingers and the importance of being idle, 2 songs sung by noel are far better than anything from their last 2 albums. Lyla beats the hindu times and liams songwriting is also better.

Think andy bell but especially Gem has a lot of influence on the music these days. And ringo's son on the drums: Magnificent!!

Oasis is back!!!

'Don't believe the truth'

Their album doesn't come out until Monday here in the states, but I'll definitely get it! I'm trying to find some tickets to see them live in a few weeks too!!

Back
Top Bottom