MERGED --> For Cat Lovers Only IV + Questions for cat people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
indra said:
This is my niece's new kitten (well, she got him in early August, I just didn't get around to putting the pics up until now). He was about 8 weeks here. She's named him Matt, but I call him Spunky Butt or Dammit. :wink:

IMG_0297.jpg

Awwww :cute:

Sicy said:
Hopefully she doesnt have any other symptoms? Not eating? Lethargy? If that were the case then I'd say need to go asap.

she seems maybe sadder and more pathetic, but was still accepting and respond to affection normally, and still can be playful

there isn't much I can individually do to get her better treatment except complain because the my step-dad (the owner) is on vacation, and I'm too young to individually take her to the vet myself

I keep forgetting you are young.. you seem much older by your posts. This is going to sound weird but see if she'll drink some cranberry juice until you can get her to the vet. It will help flush her urinary tract.

Sicy said:
I keep forgetting you are young.. you seem much older by your posts. This is going to sound weird but see if she'll drink some cranberry juice until you can get her to the vet. It will help flush her urinary tract.

alright thanks

Question for cat people

How many litter boxes for 2 cats?

Right now we have one standard sized one, and one large one. It's been working fine, until about a week ago when I discovered that the cats had started peeing in our storage boxes. Lots of stuff thrown out. :yuck:

I don't know if they're doing it because the boxes are attractive to them (and in a nice, dark, quiet place) or if the litter is too soiled for them to want to use it.

The last time they did this was the day after I cleaned both litter boxes, so it doesn't seem like it's an over-used litter box thing.

Any advice?

It has more to do with just how many cats do you have...it also has to do with how big your home is. For example, if you have more than one story, I'd suggest having one on each floor.

I'd get two boxes, for two cats. You also want to rule out anything medical. The most common reason for cats urinating outside the box are urinary infections.

Homer (the stray my sister found) had his first vet visit today. He appears to be perfectly healthy :), except he tested positive for hook worms :yuck: , but thankfully they gave him a pill for that. He got his shots and goes back in 3 weeks for another hookworm pill and a booster shot.

The vet estimated that he was between 4 to 6 months old. They told my sister she could have him fixed anytime, so now she has to schedule that too.

So yay :applaud: , healthy Homer!

This is an interesting discussion going on here - the vet said to my mum that in the case of her cat Sweep, it's her old age that's leading her to do this outside of the litterbox - anyone know of this problem? They said that it's as though she has forgot where to do it poor thing :(

Kelly that's GREAT news!! :happy:

Yes sometimes it is a behavior or old age problem unfortunately :(

Otto's going to the vet today to have the bump in his tail checked out :( Hubby said that he may have to stay there overnight, depending on what tests they may have to run or if they have to remove anything :sad:

my cat finally made it to the vet today, and it turns out that she's just fine

she got her teeth cleaned for her gum disease, and I don't think she had anything else wrong with her

I'm Ready said:
my cat finally made it to the vet today, and it turns out that she's just fine

she got her teeth cleaned for her gum disease, and I don't think she had anything else wrong with her

That's great :up:

Well, I left around 4:00pm to take Maddy for her hair appt. and hubby took Otto to the vet (Otto is a Daddy's boy anyways). So he said that the bump in his tail was apparently a cyst. They shaved part of his tail and drained it. I believe they gave hubby some stuff to give to the cat (I didn't see what kind of medicine). I also saw a squirter type thing as well. I came home and hubby said that the cat had been running around the house and couldn't get comfortable. So I didn't see him when I came home & couldn't find him. Then he slowly walked through my office with his shaved tail :( and headed off to his spot on our bed, where he is currently laying. I'm trying to let him have his space, but I just want to go up and love him up. I feel bad for him, but it had to be taken care of. I think hubby said the doctor said it should be better in about a week. :sad: At least he's home tonight :hug:

ETA: Otto's roaming the house now. He just passed through my office again and a box I have near my desk that he's too big for.
And I got up from my seat and he's claimed it :cute:
By the way, he's only 21 pounds :ohmy: I saw some new dry food & canned food on the table :shifty:

Last edited:
Awww.. poor Otto! Did they check him all over for signs of any others? I'm sure they did. You're lucky it was just a cyst and not something more serious. :up:

21 pounds! :ohmy: My neighbor's cat Tommy is around 20 pounds ... :yikes:

tommyposing.jpg

I have no idea - hopefully they did check him.

He's still on my chair - I just feel bad watching him breathing so heavy. Vet said that would be something to expect (looks like breathing heavy). His head is down and squinty-eyed. We did give him some lovin'. I just feel bad for the little guy :(

He's probably stressed from the vet trip :hug:

Do you know what kind of meds they gave? Is it topical or pills? That might be making him feel icky too.

He keeps running around and trying to lick his tail. He pants and hisses on occasion. He's probably in pain :sad:

Hubby was going to try & give him the pills, but he doesn't appear to be hungry. I think he hissed at hubby that time. The tablet is Clavamox 125MG, Says to give 1 tablet orally twice daily for a week. No idea how he's gonna do that. Then there is a liquid - Chlorahexafine that he's supposed to use twice daily to flush the affected area. I think we're all stressed, cuz I have no idea what to do, and on top of that, Maddy is feeling sick as well. :( Fun night at our house :sad:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
3. You should have one for each cat, and then one more. So when I had 4 cats, we had 5 boxes.

heh
we have five cats and 1-2 boxes, depending on the season... unfortunately, I'm living with my parents and it's not something I have any say over. I just bring it up whenever someone pees in the bathroom or the basement (which is about every day).
Does anyone have an opinion on covered boxes vs. not?

What I meant to ask about in here originally is.. one of our kitties has skin allergies, she had a bad reaction to a flea collar that we're still trying to get cleared up. She licks it raw.
Anyway, she's always had one side of her top lip that was partly hairless, but in the last year or so it's getting awfully fat and sticks out a little. Could this be related to her allergies, or her licking at them all the time?

and Lila... giving your cats pills is always a bit of a task. With the grumpier ones we wrap them up in a towel, one person holds it while the other shoves it in their mouth and holds it shut until they swallow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom